U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM

777 posts, read 923,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
We did that in 1986, and look what it got us----20 million more. Are you suggesting that we give amnesty to several million illegal aliens every 25 years, or so? Why would you want to make citizens of several million people you know nothing about? Being illegal aliens means no one knows what their criminal background is, or what diseases they might carry. Could there be terrorists among them? Remember, not all illegal aliens are hard working Mexicans that just want a better life. There are some things we don't need to import.

Remember the Mariel Boatlift??? It was only discovered later that many of those people had extensive criminal histories.

Mariel boatlift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for a more personal view...
Recalling Cuban 'boat lift,' the price of freedom / Seattles Times - Cuba News / Noticias - CubaNet News

Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Why do you care? How is this person affecting your life? I can't believe you people are complaining about T-shirts for God's sake.
I care because this is my country and I dislike illegal alien invaders and the people that advertise for them (for America's sake).

Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Quote:
I have really met people who think that all hispanic people you see working in landscaping are illegal immigrants.
They are probably right

Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,432 times
OPINION-
I agree, we should not choose which laws we would like to enforce, all laws need to be enforced. It is a real shame that these countries where these people are coming from don't get their acts together and make it better for them.

We don't need to make the 20+ Million legal, we need to just tell them to go home, give them a date and if needed help them return.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
Why do you care? How is this person affecting your life? I can't believe you people are complaining about T-shirts for God's sake.
I doubt Benicar is complaining about the t-shirt itself. Everything is not black-and-white, especially not in the topic of illegal immigration. The point is the whole attitude, approach and effect of these shirts and the message. You really have to look at the bigger picture when it comes to illegal immigration and the issues that it poses, but a lot of people can't really seem to do that. It's not just a t-shirt, it has a purpose.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
Quote:
Anybody who looks hispanic is already deemed as a possible illegal so what is the point? I have really met people who think that all hispanic people you see working in landscaping are illegal immigrants. I do not really care about illegal immigration, I believe we should all just give the one's already here US citizenship. And I have seen way more offensive t-shirts then one stating that a person is an immigrant.
Woah, really? Anyone who looks Hispanic is deemed as a possible illegal? I grew up around Mexicans, Spanish people, Ecuadorians, and more. I don't look at them and think that they are possibly an illegal immigrant. I meet Hispanic people everyday in my line of work and the last thing I think about is "Illegal Immigrant."

I hear your view on citizenship. That's fine. You have the right to have your opinion about the way the country runs. That's the beauty of it, you have the right to feel that way. I disagree with you. I think that very freedom that you are displaying by saying what you think should happen is being threatened and watered-down when we start letting just ANYONE come into the country and then we bless them with legal status and citizenship. People should have to work for something like citizenship in the United States; they should have to follow the law and do it legally from the origin.

You are also avoiding a point. You say that there are other things more offensive than a shirt about someone being an "immigrant." You forgot one important word: illegal. They aren't saying, "I am an immigrant." That's totally different than expressing proudly and loudly: "I am an illegal immigrant." That nullifies the idea of legal immigration.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM

1,574 posts, read 788,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdreger View Post
OPINION-
I agree, we should not choose which laws we would like to enforce, all laws need to be enforced.
Wow, so if a horribly unjust law was passed, you'd still be in favor of enforcing it?

Old 07-07-2011, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Wow, so if a horribly unjust law was passed, you'd still be in favor of enforcing it?
First, we have to fight the bad ones as best we can. If one does get passed we need to get it overturned the right way through the justice system. I know it takes a long time, but that is who we are we don't get to choose which ones fit and don't. So, would I be in favor of enforcement, NO, but legally it must be. For those who create these really bad laws they are the ones we must go after with our voting powers and elect common sense people. Hope that answers your question.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 PM

148 posts, read 66,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdreger View Post
First, we have to fight the bad ones as best we can. If one does get passed we need to get it overturned the right way through the justice system. I know it takes a long time, but that is who we are we don't get to choose which ones fit and don't. So, would I be in favor of enforcement, NO, but legally it must be. For those who create these really bad laws they are the ones we must go after with our voting powers and elect common sense people. Hope that answers your question.
I think this is a fairly good response. It add just a little too this, what is your cost benefit analysis on moral/good laws vs. unjust laws. The original colonies did not have to revolt but they chose to based on some analysis. Where would you draw the line as a law as to a law to follow vs. a law that you might not like and would try to reverse but would not try and cheat?

Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I doubt Benicar is complaining about the t-shirt itself. Everything is not black-and-white, especially not in the topic of illegal immigration. The point is the whole attitude, approach and effect of these shirts and the message. You really have to look at the bigger picture when it comes to illegal immigration and the issues that it poses, but a lot of people can't really seem to do that. It's not just a t-shirt, it has a purpose.
Thank you! That is exactly my point. It takes a heck of a lot of nerve to live in a country illegally, yet advertise their illegal status. It is the height of disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration