U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,100,483 times

Advertisements

Council approves municipal ID cards for illegals in Richmond

Whatever happen to coming forward for illegally being in the country? Ignore one crime to stop another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
From the article:

Quote:
Raymond Landry, a local pastor, said he has no problem with people trying to do better for themselves, but that the idea of offering a less restrictive ID card got personal for his family when he could not register one of his two children in school because improperly identified students were already enrolled, leaving no room for other students. “So that’s what we’re looking forward to—people are going to get more cranky and edgy because lines for services are going to be going around the corner,” said Landry. “It’s become survival of the fittest.
I've been saying that all along. People who have NOT been affected by illegal immigration are starting to see it bleed into their lives. That's when they start caring.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,012,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
From the article:

"...improperly identified students were already enrolled, leaving no room for other students..."

I've been saying that all along. People who have NOT been affected by illegal immigration are starting to see it bleed into their lives. That's when they start caring.
I'm not understanding "improperly identified students". It sounds like his local school system failed to scale to the amount of students they had. Won't the ID actually solve that problem and others?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I'm not understanding "improperly identified students". It sounds like his local school system failed to scale to the amount of students they had. Won't the ID actually solve that problem and others?
I have no idea what kind of school it is. My first thought was that most schools don't even ask for an ID because of our federal education laws. But, then I thought maybe it was a special school or a private school. So, who knows. However, back to your question: maybe it was the overpopulation created by illegal immigrant children that made them a failure in scaling ... because of that federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or