U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:49 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

Well, they (the U.N. and others) are thinking it violated his right to a fair trial. That's kind of important don't ya think?

Do you have a citation showing he said he was a u.s. citizen and the point in time when he said he wasn't actually a citizen, or did he just never state he was a Mexican citizen to the authorities and his citizenship was assumed by the police/prosecutors? This has happened in other cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2011, 07:58 PM
 
4,126 posts, read 4,329,212 times
Reputation: 1610
I was born and raised in Texas!
Sometimes it just feels good to say it. Today is one of those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Well, they (the U.N. and others) are thinking it violated his right to a fair trial. That's kind of important don't ya think?

Do you have a citation showing he said he was a u.s. citizen and the point in time when he said he wasn't actually a citizen, or did he just never state he was a Mexican citizen to the authorities and his citizenship was assumed by the police/prosecutors? This has happened in other cases.
Well, the SCOTUS ruled against him.

Quote:
The Supreme Court earlier denied a stay of execution for the convicted killer, despite opposition from the Obama administration and the Mexican government.
Apparently, his defense team didn’t even know he was a Mexican National.

Quote:
The state argued that Leal -- who has lived in the United States since age 2 -- never revealed his Mexican citizenship at the time of arrest, and his defense team never raised the consular access issue at or before trial.
What, all of this representation, yet no appeal?

Quote:
Eventually, between 2010 and 2011, Leal was visited by a representative of the Mexican government more than 10 times, said Judy Garces, press relations spokeswoman with the Mexican Consulate in San Antonio.
Does this sound like an “innocent” man?

Quote:
"I am sorry for everything I have done," Leal said at the Huntsville facility before he was executed. "I have hurt a lot of people. Let this be final and be done. I take the full blame for this."
Mexican national executed in Texas - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Yeah, nowhere in that stuff quoted do you address my question. You have been saying he lied and said he was a U.S. citizen. Are you going to actually provide proof of this? What you've quoted so far simply shows that he didn't let the police know he was a Mexican citizen at the time of arrest (you guys would have had him pegged for an illegal right away). That's not the same as actually telling the authorities that he was a U.S. citizen and if that's the case, he wasn't informed of his right to consular access either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Yeah, nowhere in that stuff quoted do you address my question. You have been saying he lied and said he was a U.S. citizen. Are you going to actually provide proof of this?
All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. Sure, he told them he was a Mexican national, and everyone, including his defense team ignored him.

It’s funny, had they actually inquired about his immigration status at the time of his arrest, they would have been accused of racial profiling; and the ACLU, La Raza, MALDEF, et al. would have filed a multi-million dollar discrimination lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
 
403 posts, read 280,796 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So, by your reasoning anyone discussing this case simply noting that he didn't receive what he lawfully deserved, without mentioning any opinion about anything else, is putting him above the victim? Mkay. That's some solid leaping and bounding to get to your completely made up conclusions.

The only reason I am talking about it at all is because it again points out the elephant in the room.
Dude, didn't you know that the concept of due process was started by rapist and murderer sympathizers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. Sure, he told them he was a Mexican national, and everyone, including his defense team ignored him.

It’s funny, had they actually inquired about his immigration status at the time of his arrest, they would have been accused of racial profiling; and the ACLU, La Raza, MALDEF, et al. would have filed a multi-million dollar discrimination lawsuit.
So that's a no on providing any source for your made up stuff I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So that's a no on providing any source for your made up stuff I guess.
Simple common sense. He either pretended to be a U.S. citizen, or he told them he was a Mexican national. Since we know he did NOT tell them he was a Mexican national, it only leaves one possibility. Use your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Wrong. He could have said nothing at all and just went along for the ride because he didn't understand his rights and no one asked him his status. Of course that 3rd option is impossible. SIMPLE COMMON SENSE!

It's funny how you can make whole arguments relying on something you can't provide proof of that we are supposed to just assume because it's 'SIMPLE COMMON SENSE!', yet gov't studies aren't stringent enough to make you accept commonly accepted facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Wrong. He could have said nothing at all and just went along for the ride because he didn't understand his rights...
Why is it that people who aren't American citizens always seem to have rights that are supposed to be guaranteed to those who are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top