U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:15 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, what proof do you have that he would never be released? Plus, if he was that crazy and evil, unless they kept him in solitary confinement, he could kill while in prison. Hmmm. . . what would be his punishment then -- another life sentence?
In the bold: I didn't know you had a soft spot for other death row criminals.

Quote:
There has been a great deal of analysis and commentary on the Leal case -- some of it better than the rest -- but at heart, Thursday's dramatic events are simple to explain. The Court's majority went out of its way to allow Texas to proceed with an execution, even though the state would have been only minimally harmed in waiting a few more months (or even a few more years) to proceed. The Court did so despite broad concerns, expressed by officials in both of the other two branches of government, that the Leal's execution now would harm the interests of the United States abroad. And, by doing so, the Court compounded rather than solved an important legal problem raised by the Leal case.

Just because Congress has consistently failed to do the right thing here doesn't mean that the Court had to follow its lead. The result is a big, black mark on the face American justice now shows to the rest of the world.
Humberto Leal Garcia: The Supreme Court Makes a Bad Situation Worse - Andrew Cohen - Politics - The Atlantic

Here is your answer regarding a possible release:

Aside from my views on capital punishment, I do realize that each state has its own laws and it would eventually be whatever the Texas courts decided on the case. This article illustrates how if the courts had abided by international law, it would have only been a matter of time and they would have achieved the same results. I could care less about the rapist. You all don't understand that your view of "the law is the law" doesn't hold water. Thanks for debating. I proved my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,437,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
He wasn't executed because he was an illegal Mexican immigrant. He was executed because the evidence overwhelmingly showed that he raped and tortured a 16 year old girl and then bashed her brains in with a chunk of asphalt. That's the main point that we should be getting across when we discuss about who's at fault in this. His parents should be proud for defending such a person...
Pretty much, and he basically admitted to all of it during the proceeding after lying about it for years.

In the end a person who did a horrible thing is gone... it's hard to find a problem with that.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM

403 posts, read 281,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That doesn't say what you think it says.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,113,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
In the end a person who did a horrible thing is gone... it's hard to find a problem with that.
Only that it's a very irresponsible statement.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 AM

3,683 posts, read 5,632,571 times
The crime happened in 1994 and justice was served in 2011? That musta been one long trial.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
In the bold: I didn't know you had a soft spot for other death row criminals.

Humberto Leal Garcia: The Supreme Court Makes a Bad Situation Worse - Andrew Cohen - Politics - The Atlantic

Here is your answer regarding a possible release:

Aside from my views on capital punishment, I do realize that each state has its own laws and it would eventually be whatever the Texas courts decided on the case. This article illustrates how if the courts had abided by international law, it would have only been a matter of time and they would have achieved the same results. I could care less about the rapist. You all don't understand that your view of "the law is the law" doesn't hold water. Thanks for debating. I proved my point.
Except the state courts are not under international laws.

The Constitution of the United States does not have in it anywhere about that international law. It spells out the limitations of the federal government when it comes to the states.

All those illegals who want to ruled under international law need to leave the USA. We have the Constitution as our law.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Except the state courts are not under international laws.

The Constitution of the United States does not have in it anywhere about that international law. It spells out the limitations of the federal government when it comes to the states.

All those illegals who want to ruled under international law need to leave the USA. We have the Constitution as our law.
That's great, I mean we're the United States. We all know that following international laws is an option since we are the strongest country on Earth. But we enter treaties and sign international agreements for mutual benefit, so abiding by certain international laws, while not mandated by the Constitution, is perfectly standard and ultimately beneficial.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,332,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
That's great, I mean we're the United States. We all know that following international laws is an option since we are the strongest country on Earth. But we enter treaties and sign international agreements for mutual benefit, so abiding by certain international laws, while not mandated by the Constitution, is perfectly standard and ultimately beneficial.
So at what point were those who sign said treaties given the power to surrender our sovereignty?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
So at what point were those who sign said treaties given the power to surrender our sovereignty?
notsureifserious

Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 AM

6,482 posts, read 5,976,178 times
Al this back and forth, back and forth....THE GUY'S DEAD AWREDDY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or