U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM

89 posts, read 39,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
No.....I think the real point here to consider here is the fact that he was raised here in America from the age of two, yet on his death bed his allegiance is still to Mexico. That's one of the main problem with these invaders, they're not here to acclimate and become Americans.
I love your logic here. One guy still thinks he's Mexican, ergo all Mexican immigrants, legal and illegal, don't want to integrate, despite all the studies showing that in general, they do integrate, and integrate well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,050,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
I love your logic here. One guy still thinks he's Mexican, ergo all Mexican immigrants, legal and illegal, don't want to integrate, despite all the studies showing that in general, they do integrate, and integrate well.
Studies, by whom, pro illegals? Links?
Seems everywhere I go where there is a substantial Mexican population they seem to segregate in to their own barrios.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:43 PM

89 posts, read 39,484 times
Quote:
But as a whole, the report says fears are unfounded that the nation's estimated 38 million immigrants, legal and illegal, are not being integrated into American life.
It shows that immigrants are integrating "reasonably well" when evaluating language proficiency, socioeconomic attainment, political participation, where they live and social interaction with host communities.
In fact, the report says there is evidence that today's immigrants are learning English faster than the last wave of people entering the U.S. at the start of the 20th century.
Latinos not integrating as well as some immigrants: study | Reuters

So, sure, some immigrants integrate faster than Latinos, but Latinos are integrating as fast or faster than your ancestors did.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,172,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
In 1994 I think I read that he was 17 when he committed the crime. Besides, your parents could be 90 years old you're always going to be their child.

His parents were in Mexico burning the t-shirt? They brought him illegally to the USA did they deport the parents?
Well personally I don't refer to my adult offspring as my children. I refer to them as my sons and daughters. Technically however you are correct. Would one introduce their adult offspring as "this is my child" though?

To answer your other question. Apparently it wasn't his parents that burnt the T-shirt in Mexico but extended family relatives. I would surmise that his parents are still here in our country illegally. From the article:

"After his execution, relatives of Leal who had gathered in Guadalupe, Mexico, burned a T-shirt with an image of the American flag in protest. Leal's uncle Alberto Leal criticized the U.S. justice system and the Mexican government and said, "There is a God who makes us all pay."

Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,334,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
One of the things that were very compelling is his shouting Viva Mexico with his dying breaths and he had lived in our country for 36 years. Yet the pro-illegals object to sending illegals back to Mexico who were brought here at a young age claiming they would be sent back to a country they never knew. Apparently, this guy never forgot Mexico even while being brought here at 2 years old.

Thank you, because you just stated the truth, and some can't handle the truth. I know some Mexicans who have lived here, ever since i can remember, but still fly the Mexican Flag, wear t-shirts that say viva mexico, and constantly talk about Mexico. Get mad at me i really don't care, i am tough. In my upscale area, there are hispanic families, that are really well off, and highly educated, how come they do not act in this way. Infact when they talk about illegals, they talk about them with disgust, truly disgust. And i know of some Mexican family's who send their paychecks back home to Mexico. A land they shall never forget.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,157,284 times
Quote:
No.....I think the real point here to consider here is the fact that he was raised here in America from the age of two, yet on his death bed his allegiance is still to Mexico. That's one of the main problem with these invaders, they're not here to acclimate and become Americans.
One look at any May Day parade in Los Angeles could tell you that much... he just reiterated what they all feel on his death bed.

The idiot died in the only nation he's ever known his whole life and says "viva mayheeko". Lethal injection wasn't enough, I hope they flush his butt down the drain.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:54 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,418,517 times
By reading most of your responses, I have no doubt this is about some vengeance.

As someone one who has experience working for corrections I can tell you that death is an easy way out for inmates. Suicide rate is very high. It is a greater torture and punishment to keep criminal alive and deprived of their liberty. Besides, its incorrect to say that it costs less to execute. Its actually the opposite. Its a very lucrative business for all involved. Especially the one administering the injection.

It is my opinion that we should not be executing anyone. We are not Gods nor should we do His job. Besides, we have executed innocent people in the past and this should stop.

What is puzzling to me is that while working at the prison, I knew of many inmates that were doing time for their second rape, some murdered their victim and had a release date. Why would they give this person capital punishment? Why would they not allow him to have access to consular services and did they really give him a fair trial? I think those are key questions. There was a violation of international law. Don't people keep saying we are a nation of laws? Or is it only the laws you pick and choose?

Quote:
U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said Friday the Texas execution of Humberto Leal "raises particular legal concerns," including whether he had access to consular services and a fair trial.
Most importantly, this is going to sever relations related to inmate rights. What do you think will happen to many Americans that are jailed in Mexican prisons? What about those that are waiting for a hearing and claim to be innocent. Yes, I do believe there are innocent Americans in those prisons. Mexican prisons are no joke. I would be afraid for their lives.

There are 50 other Mexicans that according to the International Court of Justice, need to be reconsidered and reviewed.

UN official: US execution of Leal broke int'l law - Yahoo! News

Old 07-08-2011, 04:54 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,157,284 times
Quote:
I would surmise that his parents are still here in our country illegally. From the article:

"After his execution, relatives of Leal who had gathered in Guadalupe, Mexico, burned a T-shirt with an image of the American flag in protest. Leal's uncle Alberto Leal criticized the U.S. justice system and the Mexican government and said, "There is a God who makes us all pay."
I bet his parents weren't at that execution.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,418,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I bet his parents weren't at that execution.
Why is that important to you?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM

254 posts, read 521,662 times
Quote:
Quote:
Bingo! That was the main point of me posting that article.
Quote:
Studies, by whom, pro illegals? Links?
Seems everywhere I go where there is a substantial Mexican population they seem to segregate in to their own barrios.
If you ask for assimilation you also need to offer acceptance... Nobody assimilates in a hostile environment. One thing is to be against illegal immigration, but bashing illegal immigration and then asking for assimilation seems contradictory to me.

By posting this article you are putting two ideas in the table, illegal Mexicans do not assimilate and commit horrible crimes. It is impossible to feel sympathetic to a rapist and a murderer. However making the generalization that all Mexican immigrants do not assimilate is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or