U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 PM

89 posts, read 39,339 times

Advertisements

LuckyGem,

What? Did you even read the passage you quoted? It says that these students were in a class. That, for one is proof that these people are "bother[ing] to learn the language." Second, the reason why they are still in the class is explicitly stated in that quote. The students in those classes are fluent in English. The school just wants to keep them in the English learning classes so the district keeps collecting extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
LuckyGem,

What? Did you even read the passage you quoted? It says that these students were in a class. That, for one is proof that these people are "bother[ing] to learn the language." Second, the reason why they are still in the class is explicitly stated in that quote. The students in those classes are fluent in English. The school just wants to keep them in the English learning classes so the district keeps collecting extra money.
I added a newer article from 2010 go back and read it. The updated article is about the test scores.

Quote:
About a third of LAUSD's students are English-language learners. In fact, the district educates 11 percent of the nation's population of students learning English. But only 3 out of 100 of LAUSD's English learners score at the proficient level in English and math in high school.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 PM

At any rate, all these other side discussions are off topic.

Leal Garcia confessed to the murder. He raped the girl with some kind of tool and left it inside her body, and pounded her head in with a 30 pound rock.

I have no idea why or how anyone can stand by and believe that he got an unfair trial, that somehow his "rights" were infringed and it violated International Law is incredible.

You know who got justice yesterday? The ONLY one who's rights were infringed: That 16 year old American girl he murdered and raped. That's who.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I added a newer article from 2010 go back and read it. The updated article is about the test scores.
OK, that article still shows people in a class, which means that, by definition, they are "bothering" to learn English. That was the claim I said was false. These Latino immigrants are getting up and going to class to learn English. That's bothering. The fact that they aren't learning English as well as might be expected may be rooted in another cause. For example, if we read that article just a little bit further:

Quote:
"Data alone doesn't constitute a violation," Ali said. "We are going to examine if there has been a denial of equal opportunity and if discrimination, as defined by the Supreme Court, exists."

Among factors that federal analysts will examine: how English-learning students are identified; what programs allow them to learn fluent English; how students get extra help in math and science; whether students are properly evaluated; whether they have qualified teachers; and if parents have been included in the process.

If LAUSD is found to be out of compliance with civil rights laws, penalties could include a withholding of federal funds, referrals to the Justice Department and possible court injunctions.
Oh, that's interesting. This school district might be incompetent. They might even be so incompetent as to be in VIOLATION OF THE LAW. That's not an indictment of the immigrants. It's an indictment of an incompetent and negligent school district.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,131,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Anyone would have the same outrage if your child had just died
Like the parents of the young girl he murdered? I suppose they were outraged. Glad he is dead and can't hurt any other young girls.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHMarten View Post
OK, that article still shows people in a class, which means that, by definition, they are "bothering" to learn English. That was the claim I said was false. These Latino immigrants are getting up and going to class to learn English. That's bothering. The fact that they aren't learning English as well as might be expected may be rooted in another cause. For example, if we read that article just a little bit further:

Oh, that's interesting. This school district might be incompetent. They might even be so incompetent as to be in VIOLATION OF THE LAW. That's not an indictment of the immigrants. It's an indictment of an incompetent and negligent school district.
LAUSD is only as competent as the leadership.

Do you know the graduation rates of Latinos vs. other students?

Dismally low.

But as I said before, this is an off topic discussion.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:32 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,131,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Obviously the fact that he is illegal and Mexican was the main point they were trying to get across
I don't think I can recall a single case of execution of an illegal simply because he/she is an illegal. What about this murder is not a factor for you? Simply because he is a Mexican national he is innocent. Gosh, they could have used you on the Casey Anthony jury.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
LAUSD is only as competent as the leadership.

Do you know the graduation rates of Latinos vs. other students?

Dismally low.

But as I said before, this is an off topic discussion.
The woman who started this thread said the subject was the integration of Mexican immigrants. Learning English is, according to most people on this board, an important measure of that.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,929,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
That illegal got wht he had coming. Id feel the same way if an American did the same crimes.
Agreed.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Just for your own reference, here's the subject of the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
No.....I think the real point here to consider here is the fact that he was raised here in America from the age of two, yet on his death bed his allegiance is still to Mexico. That's one of the main problem with these invaders, they're not here to acclimate and become Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Bingo! That was the main point of me posting that article.
Now, I mean, I could make some claims about people who take the last words of a deranged psychopath as being indicative about the attitudes of millions of other people, but that's what this thread is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or