U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 AM

951 posts, read 616,596 times

Advertisements

Then you all get mad because you have to push 1 for English ldo. Liquid Reigns already posted a study that said letting in more immigrants will not negatively effect us and in fact, recommends more immigration for more benefit. Oh I suppose that is all suspect since it doesn't state what Liquid Reigns and you wanted it to state. Ooops. Perhaps a CIS study can provide evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:06 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Then you all get mad because you have to push 1 for English ldo. Liquid Reigns already posted a study that said letting in more immigrants will not negatively effect us and in fact, recommends more immigration for more benefit. Oh I suppose that is all suspect since it doesn't state what Liquid Reigns and you wanted it to state. Ooops. Perhaps a CIS study can provide evidence.
Illegal immigration is totally out of control, and NO study can mitigate that.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Illegal immigration is totally out of control, and NO study can mitigate that.
lol, what kind of a statement is this?

"All the facts in the world will not change my stance!" is a better way to put it if you're just going to outright admit it.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
lol, what kind of a statement is this?

"All the facts in the world will not change my stance!" is a better way to put it if you're just going to outright admit it.
Are you actually denying the fact that illegal immigration is out of control?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,711,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
You didn't read the report. Hanson merely said that due to paying lesser wages there is a +.03% to Federal GDP, he then goes on to state that there is a -.1% to State and Local Governments, thus there is a net fiscal impact of -.07% to GDP. The report states exactly what I said it did, you merely ignored the rest and continued to rail stating that it increased GDP by the .03% and never considered actually reading the report.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,010,077 times
Quote:
Back on-topic, the example of a man climbing the fence was caught...

The response, however much was paid to do it, worked...

If you want to talk of a loss of a dollar amount, compare the U.S. expense to what this guy had invested in the venture...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Back on-topic, the example of a man climbing the fence was caught...

The response, however much was paid to do it, worked...

If you want to talk of a loss of a dollar amount, compare the U.S. expense to what this guy had invested in the venture...
I cannot celebrate the apprehension of one illegal, while thousands enter on a daily basis with relative ease. Again, he is most likely back in this country, along with thousands of others previously apprehended. The claim that “our borders are more secure than ever” is nothing but a farce, and everyone knows it.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,127 times
Quote:
How could this POSSIBLY be a categorical fact when "out of control" can mean whatever you want it to mean? These subjective assessments are not facts, they're you saying things.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:27 AM

951 posts, read 616,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You didn't read the report. Hanson merely said that due to paying lesser wages there is a +.03% to Federal GDP, he then goes on to state that there is a -.1% to State and Local Governments, thus there is a net fiscal impact of -.07% to GDP. The report states exactly what I said it did, you merely ignored the rest and continued to rail stating that it increased GDP by the .03% and never considered actually reading the report.
Oh Liquid Reigns here to continue to deny things. I did read it. Quit trying to wiggle out of your mishap. He states that even after this effect of the GDP on wages there is a benefit. He then states that letting in more immigrants legally will further benefit our country. I can post the author's quote from the press release for the study supposedly gotten from a progressive blog if you wish.

The small fiscal burden is .07% as you just stated again. Now, I'm going to bold the part of the author's statement that is referring to that .07%. OK?

Quote:
"Illegal immigration produces a tiny net gain to the U.S. economy after subtracting U.S.-born workers' losses from U.S. employers' gains," said Hanson, who is Director of the Center on Pacific Economies at UC-San Diego. "And if we account for the small fiscal burden (.07% right here he is accounting for it!!!) that unauthorized immigrants impose, the overall economic benefit is close enough to zero to be essentially a wash." But policy can help to convert illegal to legal flows, increasing the positive contribution that low-skilled workers could make to the U.S. economy.
Now, you will probably make some claim like he is referring to the .07% GDP in the first sentence and not what I bolded right? Who cares! He still says there is a benefit after all these things are accounted for.

The press release then goes on to make these statements regarding changing our immigration policy to better respond to our employers needs and points out why Americans aren't doing these jobs as much as in the past:

Quote:
Employers would be more likely to favor authorized workers, the report argues, if the legal low-skilled immigration system responded more effectively to their needs. Illegal immigration, which broadly tracks economic performance, provides a flexible mechanism for responding to labor market conditions in ways the current legal immigration system cannot. Legal flows for low-skilled workers are both very small and relatively unresponsive to economic conditions, with green cards almost entirely unavailable to low-skilled workers and the two main low-skilled temporary visa programs (H-2A and H-2B) varying little over the economic cycle. Only roughly 150,000 workers are in the United States legally at any one time on temporary low-skilled visas – a fraction compared to the 8.3 million unauthorized immigrants working in the United States.

Unauthorized immigrants provide a ready source of manpower in low-end sectors at a time when the share of low-skilled native-born individuals in the U.S. labor force has fallen dramatically. Over the last 50 years, the United States has raised the education level of its adult population dramatically, with half of U.S.-born working-age adults in 1960 lacking a high school diploma compared to just 8 percent now, the report notes.
A more constructive immigration policy, Hanson suggests, would aim to generate maximum productivity gains to the U.S. economy while limiting the fiscal cost and keeping enforcement spending contained. He recommends a policy redesign that provides sufficient legal channels, fluctuating with economic needs, for entry of low-skilled workers while maintaining reasonable immigration enforcement.

Last edited by huddledmasses; 07-08-2011 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,582,217 times
I love how they say in the article that people are trying to climb the fence with hooks and screwdrivers because the holes are too small for fingers. LOL I wonder if they train to get stronger before trying to jump the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration