U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,412,046 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

Arpaio's office to pay $200,000 in profiling case


Quote:
Attorneys for the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona said the settlement should send a message to police agencies that engage in discriminatory practices.

In April, U.S. District Judge David Campbell ruled that Arpaio's deputies had no reason to stop the Moras before dawn on Feb. 11, 2009.

He also ruled that there was no reason to make a warrantless arrest when deputies detained the two for nearly three hours.
Read more: Arpaio's office to pay $200,000 in profiling case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Arpaio's office to pay $200,000 in profiling case




Read more: Arpaio's office to pay $200,000 in profiling case
The ACLU? That figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,476 posts, read 7,561,264 times
Reputation: 12148
$200,000??? That's a drop in the bucket for what the U.S. dishes out daily to take care of these criminals. Those two might have been here legally, but what did the rest of the operation uncover?

There's a price to pay for everything. Mistakes will be made and paid for, but it is a necessary evil in the U.S. in todays day in age. We need more people like the Sheriff handling affairs in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times
Reputation: 2130
I would say the raid was a huge success regardless of the claims of so-called racial profiling by two Hispanics. You'd think as Americans they would be happy about the end results but no, their victim mentality set in instead. From the article:

"Sheriff's deputies arrested 60 employees during the raid on the business, out of 109 employees at the site, on suspicion of a variety of crimes, ranging from fraud and identity theft to immigration violations".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 12:15 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,384,747 times
Reputation: 1544
Well, Snooze, I guess you don't realize it has already happened with the TSA. You obviously don't see profiling there as old women and young children are getting felt up daily. Yet, people allow this to happen. I wish I could get the ACLU to sue on my behalf every time I'm felt up and not convicted of a crime.

I know the argument of you don't have a constitutional right to fly. You also don't have a right to drive, work or reside here if you are in this country illegally. So as a citizen that gets felt up in the name of terrorism, I think citizens that undergo additional scrutiny should buck up just as I have had to.

Those coming here illegally are threatening the health of our sovereign nation. We may be inconvenienced in the process of turning that around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Well, Snooze, I guess you don't realize it has already happened with the TSA. You obviously don't see profiling there as old women and young children are getting felt up daily. Yet, people allow this to happen. I wish I could get the ACLU to sue on my behalf every time I'm felt up and not convicted of a crime.

I know the argument of you don't have a constitutional right to fly. You also don't have a right to drive, work or reside here if you are in this country illegally. So as a citizen that gets felt up in the name of terrorism, I think citizens that undergo additional scrutiny should buck up just as I have had to.

Those coming here illegally are threatening the health of our sovereign nation. We may be inconvenienced in the process of turning that around.
So true. We are all profiled when we fly, and subjected to humiliating procedures. But, heaven forbid an illegal is questioned about his/her immigration status. No, that wouldn’t be right.

I am so sick of the double standard and pandering. One would think illegals actually have a right to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,949 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
So true. We are all profiled when we fly, and subjected to humiliating procedures. But, heaven forbid an illegal is questioned about his/her immigration status. No, that wouldn’t be right.

I am so sick of the double standard and pandering. One would think illegals actually have a right to be here.
I am in favor of dismantling the TSA as well. Amazingly, people's opinions on these two matters aren't inherently tied together as you're trying to portray them here. Not everyone that is in favor of immigration reform wants to have government goons feeling you up, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,238,764 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I am in favor of dismantling the TSA as well. Amazingly, people's opinions on these two matters aren't inherently tied together as you're trying to portray them here. Not everyone that is in favor of immigration reform wants to have government goons feeling you up, sorry.
TSA gotta stay. Im sad cause I remember the days of NOT being checked out as much. Thanks Osama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,949 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
TSA gotta stay.
Why? So you'll feel safer even though you're not actually safer? Even though the TSA as currently implemented without a doubt increases the number of americans who die while travelling each year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I aint worried.
It is ridiculous that the pro-illegals try to claim that merely checking someone's I.D. when stopped under lawful contact (which has been done like forever already) is turning our country into a police state. I swear their arguments get loonier and loonier.

We have to show our I.D.'s when we use our credit cards, board a plane, etc. Is that equate to a police state? Ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top