U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,277,354 times
Reputation: 387

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
How did your mother work here without knowing how to speak English? If someone really wants to learn it they can. I certainly would rather take a class in English other than being embarrassed and isolated.

I do however know many older Hispanic Americans who never bothered to learn English because they didn't really want to. It may be more difficult but you have to have the desire to do so first.
Because she works at a factory that hires many Hispanics. My father who became a citizen did learn English as he took an English class at a college. He never offered my mother the opportunity; he only bought her books and tapes, but she says they're not as useful (they did help a bit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Because she works at a factory that hires many Hispanics. My father who became a citizen did learn English as he took an English class at a college. He never offered my mother the opportunity; he only bought her books and tapes, but she says they're not as useful (they did help a bit).
In otherwords this factory favored Hispanics? Is it because they hired many illegal aliens?

I can't imagine why your father wouldn't let your mom take ESL classes. Wasn't there a way for her to do that or was she just not that interested? How long has your mom been in this country? Mind you, you are under no obligation to answer my questions but curiosity has gotten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think for many people a lot of it does have to do with the fact they want to feel like they are living in the USA and not in Mexico or Guatemala.
Yes, I agree. Just like I said. For a lot of people it has nothing to do with immigration status. It has everything to do with fear of different people. It's just a happy coincidence that there are some laws against some of those different people from moving around, so those people can hide their real phobia behind a proxy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
i made the point that before the new law our walmart was horrible to go to. now its a pleasant experience or as much of one that walmart can be. so there was a large amount of people who magically all at once decided to leave the whole area. is that worded better for you?
Yes, I think we all get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Yes, I agree. Just like I said. For a lot of people it has nothing to do with immigration status. It has everything to do with fear of different people. It's just a happy coincidence that there are some laws against some of those different people from moving around, so those people can hide their real phobia behind a proxy.
I have absolutely no fear of different people. Heck, my family looks like a meeting of the UN. However, I do oppose illegal immigration regardless of race, ethnicity, or national origin. I welcome legal immigrants, and even married one. Stop making this an issue of race. It isnít; at least not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I am only responsible for myself.
So why do you get all defensive when I'm talking to some other guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Metropolis
1,144 posts, read 3,256,335 times
Reputation: 640
Whatever. There's millions and millions of illegals here in this country who are factually known to be from certain countries, in certain amounts. Cite my opening post and its anecdotes and anyone with the smallest ioda of mental capacity (unlike people who ask; "how do you know their illegal") and come to some sort of educated (cough) guess, should at least know that there is at least such a thing as Laws, people who break them and that there is such a thing as countries with borders, with people residing in some countries who have legs to walk across borders to another country, which is not their own, Illegally.

One of the funniest things on this particular forum is the pitiful, haphazard, supplanted, desperate remarks made by people who for one reason or another don't think people entering a sovergeign nation illegallly is issue. But legally passing laws to address what American's want is either unconstitutional, unfair, mean, bigoted, hurting profits, having American tax payers, to not have to pay a larger portion of their tax burden to services to illegal aliens at the expense of our own need for services etc. etc.

You gotta be kidding. Maldef, La Raza, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, The business round table, political hacks, small business slave drivers and all of your contributors, I have one message.

YOU WILL LOOSE!!!!

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 07-10-2011 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 01:41 AM
 
148 posts, read 66,655 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Whatever. There's millions and millions of illegals here in this country who are factually known to be from certain countries, in certain amounts. Cite my opening post and its anecdotes and anyone with the smallest ioda of mental capacity (unlike people who ask; "how do you know their illegal") and come to some sort of educated (cough) guess, should at least know that there is at least such a thing as Laws, people who break them and that there is such a thing as countries with borders, with people residing in some countries who have legs to walk across borders to another country, which is not their own, Illegally.

One of the funniest things on this particular forum is the pitiful, haphazard, supplanted, desperate remarks made by people who for one reason or another don't think people entering a sovergeign nation illegallly is issue. But legally passing laws to address what American's want is either unconstitutional, unfair, mean, bigoted, hurting profits, having American tax payers, to not have to pay a larger portion of their tax burden to services to illegal aliens at the expense of our own need for services etc. etc.

You gotta be kidding. Maldef, La Raza, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, The business round table, political hacks, small business slave drivers and all of your contributors, I have one message.

YOU WILL LOOSE!!!!
Because it is illegallllll...!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,277,354 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
In otherwords this factory favored Hispanics? Is it because they hired many illegal aliens?

I can't imagine why your father wouldn't let your mom take ESL classes. Wasn't there a way for her to do that or was she just not that interested? How long has your mom been in this country? Mind you, you are under no obligation to answer my questions but curiosity has gotten me.
No, the company has e-verify so they don't hire illegals anymore, but most are still Hispanic. The Chicago plant had sizable polish group, who also did not speak English; she's currently in Houston which has more Hispanics. As for my mother learning english, every time my father watched a film he would dub it with ESP option and on TV she'd watch her novellas (soap operas). She only learned enough to navigate in stores and restaurants; she can also read children's books somewhat well, but she claims she blanks out when someone starts an English conversation that does not involve store products or food. She also claims to have no time since she has to cook after work, clean the house watch a bit of TV (news and
novellas) and exercise.

What's interesting though is that she's not someone immigration would bother as she could pass as a white woman. In fact in Chicago we lived near a Polish neighborhood and the people in the corner store assumed she was polish; they even spoke to her in Polish once.

Edit: forgot to mention she's been here nearly 28 years.

Last edited by Canaan-84; 07-10-2011 at 02:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,250 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
You gotta be kidding. Maldef, La Raza, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, The business round table, political hacks, small business slave drivers and all of your contributors, I have one message.

YOU WILL LOOSE!!!!
History says otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top