U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,257,460 times

Advertisements

With all these laws getting passed and illegals hightailing it out of Georgia, Alabama, Arizona etc.. as well as those moving from the states hardest hit by this economic maelstrom we're still in; where are they going?

You might guess California because many illegals have family members there who could take them in until things get better, but with Cali's problems, I don't see that lasting very long. The Northeast is probably 3rd only to Texas and the Western midwest in term of economic health and living in NJ, I'm not seeing less of them, but I'm certainly not seeing anysort of huge influx.

So that leaves Texas and the Western Midwest and it's energy boom. Anyone in these places noticing any sort of illegal alien stampede bearing down on them these days?

That news about Mexican's coming in as a trickle is good, but how about Central America and 3.5 billion Asians?

Ooops, I also forgot about Chicagoland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 AM

1,150 posts, read 991,320 times
I've heard a lot of those leaving Arizona are going to Colorado, but other than that, I have't heard where thry're going.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:13 AM

2,240 posts, read 2,667,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
With all these laws getting passed and illegals hightailing it out of Georgia, Alabama, Arizona etc.. as well as those moving from the states hardest hit by this economic maelstrom we're still in; where are they going?

You might guess California because many illegals have family members there who could take them in until things get better, but with Cali's problems, I don't see that lasting very long. The Northeast is probably 3rd only to Texas and the Western midwest in term of economic health and living in NJ, I'm not seeing less of them, but I'm certainly not seeing anysort of huge influx.

So that leaves Texas and the Western Midwest and it's energy boom. Anyone in these places noticing any sort of illegal alien stampede bearing down on them these days?

That news about Mexican's coming in as a trickle is good, but how about Central America and 3.5 billion Asians?

How would one know who's Illegal in order to determine if we're witnessing a stampede?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
How would one know who's Illegal in order to determine if we're witnessing a stampede?
Well for one - the ability to speak English is one big clue.

The other - certain regions of the USA have had American-hispanics living in them from before these regions joined the USA and their migration pattern to other states is like that of other Americans. That is - someone gets a job transfer or other job opportunity and off they go but the whole extended family and village doesn't go with them.

When a whole village appears almost overnight complete with taco stands, paleta cart pushers, Mexican bars, it's not American citizens. That's one other way you can tell.

In other words full-fledged American citizens of hispanic ancestry aren't stampeding anywhere.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post

To your question - I think the answer would be found in food stamp applications.

I recently witnessed an illegal with children's birth certificates (many) in hand asking how to get food stamps in Texas. The children were all born in Arizona. Apparently their father is in Mexico now, pays no child support - maybe deported but she's obviously intent on remaining in the USA to collect her government handouts.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
To your question - I think the answer would be found in food stamp applications.

I recently witnessed an illegal with children's birth certificates (many) in hand asking how to get food stamps in Texas. The children were all born in Arizona. Apparently their father is in Mexico now, pays no child support - maybe deported but she's obviously intent on remaining in the USA to collect her government handouts.
So US citizens shouldn't be eligible for government aid in your opinion? Who *should* be eligible for it? You don't seem very keen on the idea of eliminating it completely so I'm wondering who you think these programs exist for?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So US citizens shouldn't be eligible for government aid in your opinion? Who *should* be eligible for it? You don't seem very keen on the idea of eliminating it completely so I'm wondering who you think these programs exist for?
Sure - if the illegal walking into the welfare office to claim her food stamp prizes is deported, and doesn't choose to take her children home with her when she goes, let the children have their American food stamps - picked up by the foster parent who ends up raising these kids.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:54 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,277,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well for one - the ability to speak English is one big clue.

The other - certain regions of the USA have had American-hispanics living in them from before these regions joined the USA and their migration pattern to other states is like that of other Americans. That is - someone gets a job transfer or other job opportunity and off they go but the whole extended family and village doesn't go with them.

When a whole village appears almost overnight complete with taco stands, paleta cart pushers, Mexican bars, it's not American citizens. That's one other way you can tell.

In other words full-fledged American citizens of hispanic ancestry aren't stampeding anywhere.
Not exactly, my mother is a legal resident and she barely speaks English; she'd be fine at a store or restaurant, but trying to have a conversation with her will be difficult. She had to work when my father brought her over so she never had the opportunity to learn it well. Now that she's older she finds it more difficult to learn. She says she feels embarrassed as she's meet illegals who can speak English while she cannot even though she's here legally.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Not exactly, my mother is a legal resident and she barely speaks English; she'd be fine at a store or restaurant, but trying to have a conversation with her will be difficult. She had to work when my father brought her over so she never had the opportunity to learn it well. Now that she's older she finds it more difficult to learn. She says she feels embarrassed as she's meet illegals who can speak English while she cannot even though she's here legally.
How did your mother work here without knowing how to speak English? If someone really wants to learn it they can. I certainly would rather take a class in English other than being embarrassed and isolated.

I do however know many older Hispanic Americans who never bothered to learn English because they didn't really want to. It may be more difficult but you have to have the desire to do so first.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:50 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Check with Cyanna. She said she has a “pretty damn close” to foolproof method for determining illegal status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration