U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,387,276 times
Reputation: 2345

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
That is not the topic, of course, but you still manage to be wrong. Illegal immigrants are - and I know this might be shocking - a kind of immigrant.
No they aren't. Immigration implies permanency and permission. Illegals have neither of these. They're tresspassers.

 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,006,183 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
No they aren't. Immigration implies permanency and permission. Illegals have neither of these. They're tresspassers.
Immigration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Immigrant | Define Immigrant at Dictionary.com

Immigrant - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary


But no, keep on making things up. Illegals actually frequently do seek permanence, but you know, whatever right? The "permission" thing is just straight up BS invented to aid your argument.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:07 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,932 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
No they aren't. Immigration implies permanency and permission. Illegals have neither of these. They're tresspassers.
Even if the pro-illegals want to use the word "immigrant" to describe those in our country illegally if they had an honest bone in their bodies they would use the term "illegal immigrant" to decipher between legal immigrant and illegal immigrant but they would rather blur those lines instead to play down the fact that they didn't come here as legal immigrants do with proper authorization but instead they violated our immigration laws.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,387,276 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Immigration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Immigrant | Define Immigrant at Dictionary.com

Immigrant - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary


But no, keep on making things up. Illegals actually frequently do seek permanence, but you know, whatever right? The "permission" thing is just straight up BS invented to aid your argument.
Illegal alien is the proper term. Calling them immigrants insults legal immigrants -- people who did not break our laws and have agreed to follow the rules of our society. If they seek permanence so what? Most criminals want to get pardoned for their crimes.

The only invented BS comes from the pro-illegal side. An honest accounting would be to admit that people mostly aren't opposed to illegals because they mostly have brown skin but because they impose huge economic burdens on many American communities. But honestly is not the hallmark of the pro-illegal side because they know they would lose the argument.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,006,183 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Illegal alien is the proper term.
There's no "proper term," just variations that people prefer for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Calling them immigrants insults legal immigrants -- people who did not break our laws and have agreed to follow the rules of our society.
I don't think it actually does, but they ARE immigrants. I call them illegals or illegal immigrants almost always - but they are still a TYPE of immigrant, one way or another. They immigrated, and that makes them immigrants. It's more descriptive to call them illegal immigrants or undocumented immigrants or whatever, but they still immigrated here.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,893,897 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
There's no "proper term," just variations that people prefer for different reasons.



I don't think it actually does, but they ARE immigrants. I call them illegals or illegal immigrants almost always - but they are still a TYPE of immigrant, one way or another. They immigrated, and that makes them immigrants. It's more descriptive to call them illegal immigrants or undocumented immigrants or whatever, but they still immigrated here.
Fair enough. There is nothing to debate about your post.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
 
3,493 posts, read 2,387,276 times
Reputation: 2345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
There's no "proper term," just variations that people prefer for different reasons.



I don't think it actually does, but they ARE immigrants. I call them illegals or illegal immigrants almost always - but they are still a TYPE of immigrant, one way or another. They immigrated, and that makes them immigrants. It's more descriptive to call them illegal immigrants or undocumented immigrants or whatever, but they still immigrated here.
That's not how most people use the word immigrant. Most people use it as a shorthand to refer to legal immigrants not illegal aliens. The only people who use immigrants to refer to illegal aliens are usually illegal alien advocates seeking to get us to agree to conflate the two groups.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,156,932 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That's not how most people use the word immigrant. Most people use it as a shorthand to refer to legal immigrants not illegal aliens. The only people who use immigrants to refer to illegal aliens are usually illegal alien advocates seeking to get us to agree to conflate the two groups.
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,014,921 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
...Calling them immigrants insults legal immigrants -- people who did not break our laws and have agreed to follow the rules of our society...
But legal immigrants DO break laws, sometimes even immigration laws...

Petition to change the name of the forum...

It is titled ¨Illegal Immigration¨...
 
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Metropolis
1,153 posts, read 3,258,999 times
Reputation: 646
Wow, trying to lump common sense people who oppose illegal immigration with Storm-Front members. Nice try. Here's another quote from Stormfront.

"I need some tips, hints, recipes etc on making sausages. Does anyone actually do this? Making your own using natural casings and your own mince is one of the best things you can do for yourself. And you know exactly whats going in, the fat content, etcetera."

I like sausage on my pizza sometimes. I must be a white supremacist. Wait, I'm not white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top