U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You blew it when you wanted to confuse everyone and make it a racist post, with the word Hispanic in place of Mexican.
Please elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM

60,276 posts, read 30,643,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Please elaborate.

I couldn't have drawn a clearer picture.

Hispanic, does not mean Mexican and Mexican does not mean Hispanic.

Got it now?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM

403 posts, read 280,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So, in your opinion, racism only goes in one direction?
Where did I indicate I thought that?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM

403 posts, read 280,939 times
Quote:

Got it now?
IBM didn't do that.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,013,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
I object to the cited statement. I don't care what you are or claim to be. Or how you pick and choose which parts of your statement you pick to defend. The entire statement was racist and bigoted. Not to mentoion you wanting to change the election format to suit your own desires.

BTW, are you claiming that there are no hispanic snowbirds? Your proof would support your statement, although I suspect that you have none, just what you decide is true.
Governor Brewer will be the one to set the election date - I have no input into changing Arizona election rules...

"Snowbirds" are by definition residents of the northern states - primarily in the Great Lakes area - that winter in the Southwest. I do not know of any Hispanic snowbirds, nor would I think it is common for them to have the same migration cycle. Traveling to the Southwest is probably the "snowbirds" biggest exposure to a sizable Hispanic population.

It's also the biggest irony to me that I am being called a racist and a bigot to my own White ethnicity, all while unwilling to put the same context to a portion of the "snowbird" population behavior...

Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,838 times
Quote:

Got it now?
Yes, I got that.

Now, please elaborate on how exchanging those two words suddenly made it a racist post.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,158,474 times
This Russ Pearce?

Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
...I know many Hispanic Americans, that despise "the wets" as they call them. They will give you an earful about the bad name and sterotype the illegals have placed on them, that once didn't exist, here in Texas.
So, you provide an example of bigots towards others of their own ethnicity, with a bad name and stereotype...

Why can't I put the same attributes on a population of my own ethnicity?...

The irony here is crushing...

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM

777 posts, read 923,809 times
IBM I think your "spin" on our culture...and yes I LIVE in Arizona and am aware of our politics because I see them at work not by reading blurbs on the web... is all wrong. At one time, yes, Arizona celebrated the "Southwest Culture" in it's true form. However, with the introduction of sports vacation resorts, a convention destination industry and the senior retirement communities that all changed. If it hadn't been for the above Arizona would have remained in the dark ages of American history. Because of the above mentioned activities particularly the Snowbird, we have, as a state, a vested interest in keeping that sector of our population alive and well. The Snowbirds pay property taxes, they are a significant factor in our economy and as such deserve a say in how our government is run and who our elected officials are.
Before the above mentioned activities Arizona depended on mining, agriculture and the military as it's primary resources... of the 3 only the military has survived long term. Don't get me wrong agriculture is still BIG business but it does not produce the jobs needed to sustain our population. We also have a thriving hi-tech industry and are becoming known for our medical centers...they all have a vested interest in maintaining a status quo and part of that is to keep the negitivity of illegal aliens out of our limelight.
Oh yea...We still celebrate Southwest Culture but not in the same degree as say New Mexico....as a state for the most part we manage to live together quite peacefully...blacks, gays, whites, hispanics.
I think RP will survive recall...after all they only got it on the ballot...this is not the vote.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
IBM I think your "spin" on our culture...and yes I LIVE in Arizona and am aware of our politics because I see them at work not by reading blurbs on the web... is all wrong. At one time, yes, Arizona celebrated the "Southwest Culture" in it's true form. However, with the introduction of sports vacation resorts, a convention destination industry and the senior retirement communities that all changed. If it hadn't been for the above Arizona would have remained in the dark ages of American history. Because of the above mentioned activities particularly the Snowbird, we have, as a state, a vested interest in keeping that sector of our population alive and well. The Snowbirds pay property taxes, they are a significant factor in our economy and as such deserve a say in how our government is run and who our elected officials are.
Before the above mentioned activities Arizona depended on mining, agriculture and the military as it's primary resources... of the 3 only the military has survived long term. Don't get me wrong agriculture is still BIG business but it does not produce the jobs needed to sustain our population. We also have a thriving hi-tech industry and are becoming known for our medical centers...they all have a vested interest in maintaining a status quo and part of that is to keep the negitivity of illegal aliens out of our limelight.
Oh yea...We still celebrate Southwest Culture but not in the same degree as say New Mexico....as a state for the most part we manage to live together quite peacefully...blacks, gays, whites, hispanics.
I think RP will survive recall...after all they only got it on the ballot...this is not the vote.
I am a New Mexico native myself, and would concur that we also get along peacefully among the different ethnicities (one important group you did not mention is the Native Americans - big here and in Arizona). We also have "snowbirds" that winter here. Our difference is that they must be New Mexico residents to vote here.

I also had a "snowbird" friend that was here in school when his parents came down. His father was very conservative - even belong to the John Birch Society - and very clear that he didn't have much exposure to (as he identified them) "Mexicans" in Wisconsin (this "Wisconquista" theory has been fermenting with me for some time) by the things he said. Don't you suppose there could be others with the same outlook in Arizona?

By saying that part-time "snowbirds" residents should have a disparate voice over year-round natives because of a perception about their added economies (irony notwithstanding) brings in their distant politics and culture. Pretty soon we're all wearing "Cheesehead" hats 'n such, if I were to misuse the analogy a little further. What I read into this is that Arizona is "Wispandering" based on money, not in fairness to their full-time residents.

That's my take at least...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or