U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Wait, what? Where did he imply only whites can be racist?

How, if he claims race makes no difference, is he implying that it does matter?
Well, for all that Arjay51 did call me, almost all "White" myself, a racist and a bigot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He is Hispanic.
I even saw someone claiming Russell Pearce (the subject of this topic) was Hispanic. When I traced his ancestry back (rather easily, as he is a Mormon), I didn't find any Hispanics there, even though they had been in Arizona for quite awhile. Now I have to trace Arpaio too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 05:12 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
777 posts, read 927,757 times
Reputation: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I am a New Mexico native myself, and would concur that we also get along peacefully among the different ethnicities (one important group you did not mention is the Native Americans - big here and in Arizona). We also have "snowbirds" that winter here. Our difference is that they must be New Mexico residents to vote here.

I also had a "snowbird" friend that was here in school when his parents came down. His father was very conservative - even belong to the John Birch Society - and very clear that he didn't have much exposure to (as he identified them) "Mexicans" in Wisconsin (this "Wisconquista" theory has been fermenting with me for some time) by the things he said. Don't you suppose there could be others with the same outlook in Arizona?

By saying that part-time "snowbirds" residents should have a disparate voice over year-round natives because of a perception about their added economies (irony notwithstanding) brings in their distant politics and culture. Pretty soon we're all wearing "Cheesehead" hats 'n such, if I were to misuse the analogy a little further. What I read into this is that Arizona is "Wispandering" based on money, not in fairness to their full-time residents.

That's my take at least...
You are right about my ommission of the Native American sector of our community and I apologise.
Yes, you read it right and you are correct. I must clarify here tho..I am not speaking for the whole state..only Phoenix, but you are still correct. But you also need to realize that alot of Phoenix full-time residents were once snowbirds that never went home. Or were in the military stationed at any one of our military bases and chose to retire here. Or the section of the community that was forced to come down here to care for aging parents and never left. Or those that moved here for their health because of our dry climate and heat. For the snowbirds it's kind of like the Vegas syndrome... They have so much fun in Vegas that their ideal is to live there all the time. So they retire to Vegas and soon find out that gambling isn't as much fun every day as it once was for 4-5 days 3-4 times a year. Same here... they come here in the winters and decide to stay full time..then they experience our summer and regret it but it's too late to move again so they are stuck. Mind you this is not true of everyone here but it is a story I have heard ALOT. IMO because of this diversity of people..Arizona has no distinct accent as in the midwest or the north. It is nothing to hear a Boston accent only to find out the person with the accent has lived here for 30 years! My favorite analogy of Phoenix natives vs non native is if you were in a room with 40 people and asked how many were born and raised native Arizonians less then 10 would raise their hands.
Oh yea..and alot of folks come here from the PNW and the Midwest.. I think the great lakes community is evenly divided between Arizona and Florida. I say this because I see alot more Washington, Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, Montanna and Idaho license plates then from Michighan or Wisconsin.
I forgot to mention that I work in retail and our convention visitors are not just from the US but world wide. Phoenix also enjoys a very healthy international tourist trade. Every day I meet people from all over the world and they all rave about how friendly everyone is and of course how big everything is compared to Europe.
BTW...I also forgot to mention that we didn't take near the hit threatened or predicted because of SB1070. Another reason I think RP will survive recall.

Last edited by Chanygirl; 07-12-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,016,713 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Well, for all that Arjay51 did call me, almost all "White" myself, a racist and a bigot...

Your own statements called you these, I merely put voice to them. And once again maintain that any open minded person upon reading the quoted statement would be forced to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 8,016,713 times
Reputation: 3602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Wow. You gathered all that from this post?

Good read. I'm curious, how did you know I was implying that only whites can be racist? I thought I'd buried that deep...

I really don't want to be snarky here, but I can't think of any better way to respond to this. Your last two sentences make zero sense. Zero. I'd really like to try to engage you in a way that might be constructive, but you are going to have to clarify wtf you mean by any of that???
Knowing what you imply merely takes reading your posts. Might be hard for some who agree with you, not so hard for the rest.

BTW, the second part of your quote, which you attempt to attribute to me, is not mine. If you can prove differently, repost the quote with the message that I said it included. Typical attempt of the side you represent. You really ought to try the truth once in a while, if you can still recognize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
...But you also need to realize that alot of Phoenix full-time residents were once snowbirds that never went home. Or were in the military stationed at any one of our military bases and chose to retire here. Or the section of the community that was forced to come down here to care for aging parents and never left. Or those that moved here for their health because of our dry climate and heat. For the snowbirds it's kind of like the Vegas syndrome... They have so much fun in Vegas that their ideal is to live there all the time. So they retire to Vegas and soon find out that gambling isn't as much fun every day as it once was for 4-5 days 3-4 times a year. Same here... they come here in the winters and decide to stay full time..then they experience our summer and regret it but it's too late to move again so they are stuck. Mind you this is not true of everyone here but it is a story I have heard ALOT. IMO because of this diversity of people..Arizona has no distinct accent as in the midwest or the north. It is nothing to hear a Boston accent only to find out the person with the accent has lived here for 30 years! My favorite analogy of Phoenix natives vs non native is if you were in a room with 40 people and asked how many were born and raised native Arizonians less then 10 would raise their hands.
Oh yea..and alot of folks come here from the PNW and the Midwest.. I think the great lakes community is evenly divided between Arizona and Florida. I say this because I see alot more Washington, Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, Montanna and Idaho license plates then from Michighan or Wisconsin...
License plates from other states will be relatively new arrivals (the vehicle registration should be changed if moving to Arizona to be truly lawful) or visitors. I have no problem with people migrating to Phoenix, but they need to assimilate, not to try to change our Southwest culture to their own. Phoenix has grown like a weed, and its infrastructure is stretched thin.

The irony here, being exceedingly thick...

Russell Pearce is elected from Mesa, the third largest city in Arizona, and disproportionately 85% White. He has excluded the public from the grounds of the Legislator, and had police remove groups that were not being disruptive. Documented relationships, like with National Socialist J.T. Ready, are troubling.

For all of the signatures to have a recall election, I am not quite ready (no pun intended) to call which way it will go...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 07-12-2011 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,628 posts, read 79,980,595 times
Reputation: 39008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Recall signatures mean nothing, the vote is what counts and the chances of a recall being successful is almost non existant.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,423,913 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Recall signatures mean nothing, the vote is what counts and the chances of a recall being successful is almost non existant.

Nita
You could be right but I think its worth a try. The guy is affiliated with Neo-Natzis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
777 posts, read 927,757 times
Reputation: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
License plates from other states will be relatively new arrivals (the vehicle registration should be changed if moving to Arizona to be truly lawful) or visitors. I have no problem with people migrating to Phoenix, but they need to assimilate, not to try to change our Southwest culture to their own. Phoenix has grown like a weed, and its infrastructure is stretched thin.

The irony here, being exceedingly thick...

Russell Pearce is elected from Mesa, the third largest city in Arizona, and disproportionately 85% White. He has excluded the public from the grounds of the Legislator, and had police remove groups that were not being disruptive. Documented relationships, like with National Socialist J.T. Ready, are troubling.

For all of the signatures to have a recall election, I am not quite ready (no pun intended) to call which way it will go...

No...snowbirds keep their plates from their home states.

The authorities are pretty strict about license and registration...for residents.

I think I made the distinction between Arizona "Southwest Culture" and New Mexico "Southwest Culture". Did you miss that? This is a case of you do it your way and we do it our way and please don't try to change our way to fit your way. You don't need to worry about who assimilates or not..It is what it is and we don't need your help Thank You very much.

I beg to differ...Phoenix has not "grown like a weed". Yes, there has been huge growth but it has been a steady growth not "weed-like". Yes, I am sure you will find exceptions but you will find that in any city.

Just where and how is our infrastructure stretched thin???
(Don't forget I live here...you don't.)
Our roads are in excellent shape, our water is at the national standard or above, we have a healthy electrical power grid, Our sewage treatment facility is at the national standard, we have few major flooding issues during heavy rains and these are documented and warnings are issued. Read the City Data statistics for Phoenix...all things considered they look pretty good. In the meantime read Phoenix infracstructure strategic plan this does not reflect "weed-lke" growth in any sense of the word.
Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Infrastructure Strategic Plan

Cite a source for this statement or recant...other wise you are tail chasing...and inciting unnecessary controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,031,386 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You could be right but I think its worth a try. The guy is affiliated with Neo-Natzis.
J.T. Ready doesn't like to be identified as a "Nazi", he prefers "National Socialist". It was interesting to see the different stories between Ready and Russell Pearce about their interactions. Ultimately I think J.T. was much more truthful, even through his ideology is off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top