U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM

14 posts, read 40,013 times

Advertisements

Yes, we all are children of immigrants at some point or level and yes, all immigrants deserve to pursue their dream too, BUT, when our society was being populated by immigrants back when America was building itself, they came with skills (and if you didn't have one, you were sent back). They came without disease and illness (if you had so much as a cavity, you were sent back), unlike the immigrants who come today with TB and Hepatitis and no one is the wiser to it. Immigrants of yesteryear went to class at night to learn english. My parents could only speak Italian to me but they insisted I speak nothing but english to them. They figured sooner or later they would know what I was saying. Now, we have interpreters for every language, phone assistance in every language and there is no urgency to learn the language. For my parents, it was do or die. Back then, it was a melting pot, now the pot has just oil and vinegar in it and we all know how that works together. My parents wanted to be Americans. Foreigners who come today want nothing to do with being American--it seems they just want our riches. I deal with foreign people on a daily basis, for years, and I can count on my one hand how many of them had something good to say about what America has given or done for them. The rest just want to know how they can collect unemployment while they collect cash from their job, how they can get social service benefits without being legal, and how they can sue for a fender bender and collect their settlement (by the way, if you are illegal and need to sue, you can--as a matter of fact, if you are illegal, you are obviously driving without a license --you can still sue and collect. Oh, and the Russians have the whole suing thing down to a science. They stage the accidents and have their own doctors write phony reports and collect every penny imaginable. They know more about what they are entitled to than most people in the insurance/litigation industry. Anyway, my point? My point is, immigrants are a wonderful and much needed group of people, they bring culture and ideas--that is, the ones who come to contribute not to just take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM

991 posts, read 4,150,930 times
extremely well written, i especially worry about disease, especially being brought to the schools.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 PM

1,896 posts, read 5,988,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNEWYORK View Post
. Oh, and the Russians have the whole suing thing down to a science. They stage the accidents and have their own doctors write phony reports and collect every penny imaginable. They know more about what they are entitled to than most people in the insurance/litigation industry.
I must comment on this.

Would you believe this happened to me? Many years ago, I was working and my car was parked 2 blocks away from my job in Queens. When I came out after work, I found my car up on the sidewalk with a note from the police on it. My car had been hit in an accident.

When I got the report, conveniently it was two "russians" in two vehicles, who had collided with each other and hit into MY car. They were not from the area, not even 20 mins away, neither one and they BOTH happened to find each other and hit? We knew it was staged right away....so funny you should say that. My innocent car was a victim of their scam.....and it was a used car so it's damage was even more than the book value. So much for working hard as an American...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNEWYORK View Post
Anyway, my point? My point is, immigrants are a wonderful and much needed group of people, they bring culture and ideas--that is, the ones who come to contribute not to just take.
Well said, I agree totally.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 AM

1,144 posts, read 3,255,330 times
I think their great, in moderation. 200,000 per year total would be fine, since we could assimilate them better at that rate. What we have now is a wild west free for all, fueled by our greedy system. Think about it, slavery, segregation, the pill and women's rights, all where tolerated and allowed by the elites for the purpose of additional labor. I am not saying it is the only reason for ending many social ills, but I guarantee you it is the primary reason.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 AM

492 posts, read 576,342 times
90% of immigrants today are all on the take one way or another and anybody who comes here illegally is a criminal period!!
Laws need to be changed
Drop the anchor baby program, round up and end them all to Iraq and make them "earn it" then watch how fast they run back home.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,177,159 times
I agree that things are out of control. My DH is in a trade that sees the worst of it. They will cry that the can't become citizens because the paperwork is too hard or too expensive. Meanwhile they drive brand new 65,000 pickups, have jet skis, Bose surround sound in their apartments & they invent or participate in intricate schemes to obtain SS#s or drivers licenses. If they used that money & effort towards citizenship...and they did it in the correct order, they'd be citizens already. I think everytime they are caught here, traffic violation, arrested for a crime or anything else they should be deported within 24hrs. And their passport(alot of them are from Costa Rica & they just travel back & forth like they are dual citizens) should be marked so they can't return even for a visit until they get a visa.
We need Visa's to enter Russia and other places under some circumstances....every person that comes here she have to get one too until we get this thing under control.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,279,691 times
Well, let's see. I am totally against illegal immigration. I believe that is one of the main problems we have in this country and the results have trickled down into our economy (for workers, not business owners, though the tide may be turning.) Our schools and hospitals are overburdened by illegals and a lot of this bilingual nonsense is being forced on us because the majority of illegals WILL NOT adapt.

Whenever you see a news story or read an article about immigration, particularly illegal, you see "Poor Jose" who only came here for a better life and had to leave his wife and 4 kids in San Whatever. He's got it very rough here and so on. He has to live with 20 other guys and hang out for work on Middle Country Road. Does anyone check if Jose has a prior criminal record (not saying all of them do, but do you think it's something to be 'concerned about?')

Reverend Whatever his name is and others of his ethnic group stand around with signs saying "Let Jose stay, he's illegal but just 'wants a better life.'" Too bad if Jose did it ILLEGALLY, he's a nice guy!

Why don't I ever see anything about 'poor Peter' or 'poor Nigel' who came here from Ireland or England? Is it assumed because you come to the USA speaking English your life is simple and tidy and all doors open to you?

My husband's a LEGAL British immigrant and NO doors were open to him. No one stood around telling him where he could get 'food stamps,' 'free medical,' 'legal aid', or any other services that others find. He may not make a lot of money but he's become a citizen here and is totally an American now.

The bottom line in all this is I HATE how one group is catered to in all this immigration mess. I suggest we STOP all bilingual signs/education/whatever and force everyone to learn English. End anchor baby programs (as Joe says).

We are at a crisis point in our own nation where citizens can't always get by. How much longer will we be willing to 'help everyone' who wants to come here?

I was on the NH board and told those people (they are having problems in one park with people who are not following the park rules because 'they can't read English) that if they don't take a look at NY, CA, AZ and Florida, they will see the SAME problems there as we have here.

Once they think they can get on the gravy train, they will flock and RUIN that state as well.

Yes, we are all children, grandchildren, or great grandchildren (or more) of immigrants. But those people stood for something and assimilated and respected American culture. What we have today are the lower castes of other nations coming here --in the majority-- to scam or bring 'negative culture.'

PS Sorry for the wordy post. I'm just very passionate about this issue.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:37 AM

4,963 posts, read 3,923,610 times
As an immigrant myself ; I came here 21 years ago. Yes, I was illegal. I admit that, but I did marry my boyfriend and set up a life here. We have been together for 25 years.

But ; I never sponged off the government, we had children when we could afford them, we worked hard. I worked as a nanny in nyc, worked 60-70 hours a week raising childrn of the wealthy. I never went on food stamps, wic, waited until I could afford healthcare etc etc.

21 years later, we are still here. NY has been very good to us. It has enabled us to get ahead, helped us to mature. I am a citizen now and every time I hear the National Anthem I feel so proud to be here, I get goosebumps at every baseball game. My children know and respect everthing American.

They also know their heritage. We go home every year to visit.

My opinion of illegals ; if they sue, send them back, if they are on any kind of welfare, send them back. I always thought in the immigration papers you had to proove that you could maintain yourself and not become a burden to society. In the immigration proceedings, also you are required to speak english ; how come there are translators??

If immigrants have children and cannot provide an american birth cert ; charge them maybe $100 per child per year of registration. Also if we need more people in the armed forces, sign them up and maybe after 4 years of service then they get a work permit, then maybe 2 years later if they can proove that they are not a burden on society, give them their earned green card.

There is a difference between those that come here to work and stay and those that are here just to sponge.

I see it everyday in Farmingville.
d

Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 AM

553 posts, read 1,727,322 times
EXCElant post the OP is dead on.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:26 PM

289 posts, read 1,011,449 times
I also agree 100% with the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or