U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
Divides a country? Well yes, if people have historic and geographic ties to a language. Belgium for instance. But there is, like, almost zero evidence that this is happening in the US. Studies have shown that within three generations that 97% foreign language speaking immigrants learn English and even more so forget their old language should be enough to put to rest the idea of "dividing" the country. But OMG 3% of foreign language speakers still speak another foreign language! Revolution is on the horizon!!!!
Back in the day people came in groups then the door was closed so people would become American or leave cause the couldnt hack it. Time to cut down imigration big time now an FORCE the legal immigrants to learn English. Illegals ALL need to go home. NONE of this bilingual bit, its keeps Hispanics in the barrio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 PM
 
177 posts, read 114,759 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Back in the day people came in groups then the door was closed so people would become American or leave cause the couldnt hack it. Time to cut down imigration big time now an FORCE the legal immigrants to learn English. Illegals ALL need to go home. NONE of this bilingual bit, its keeps Hispanics in the barrio.
I like this good old commiserating. Do you ever wonder why there is an Italian section of NYC or why Boston is known for a lot of Irish, and yet they all speak English? Oh well you know history is a terrible teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,484,948 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
There has been a lot of debate about that. Hispanics in the 60's rode on the MLK civil rights movement to push through bilingual studies which has never been set in law since the founding of this country.

Name native English speakers in bilingual classes or schools?
You won't find 1.

Bilingual studies legally segregates students from the country's main stream.
Sorry you lose. Got a 6'1" niece - surfer gal from Santa Monica who teaches bi-lingual in the Bay area just fine and has for the last 8 or 9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
Divides a country? Well yes, if people have historic and geographic ties to a language. Belgium for instance. But there is, like, almost zero evidence that this is happening in the US. Studies have shown that within three generations that 97% foreign language speaking immigrants learn English and even more so forget their old language should be enough to put to rest the idea of "dividing" the country. But OMG 3% of foreign language speakers still speak another foreign language! Revolution is on the horizon!!!!
There is no evidence of that at all. The illegals only began arriving after 1986, because in 1986, there was a very massive amnesty.

In many parts of the country, the Spanish speakers now outnumber English speakers and with all the Spanish classrooms, radio, television, even telemarketers, there's no evidence they are learning much English or have the opportunity to hear English.

Just like their Mexican flags, they keep their allegience to their own country, even for generations, but they love the USA for the money and social programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
I like this good old commiserating. Do you ever wonder why there is an Italian section of NYC or why Boston is known for a lot of Irish, and yet they all speak English? Oh well you know history is a terrible teacher.
They came here legaly, Theres a diference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
 
177 posts, read 114,759 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is no evidence of that at all. The illegals only began arriving after 1986, because in 1986, there was a very massive amnesty.
I'll just assume you're not that dumb

Quote:
In many parts of the country, the Spanish speakers now outnumber English speakers and with all the Spanish classrooms, radio, television, even telemarketers, there's no evidence they are learning much English or have the opportunity to hear English.
English Usage among Hispanics in the United States - Pew Research Center

literally 5 seconds of research

Quote:
Just like their Mexican flags, they keep their allegience to their own country, even for generations, but they love the USA for the money and social programs.
Really? How about an Italian that flies the Italian flag? Or you know St Patricks Day? Why are those huge anti-nationalistic 5th column celebrations off your radar? Do you believe that this is anti American?

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...f?t=1318204982

You are pretty much spouting the same thing that was said of the Irish, the Chinese, the Italians, the Hmong, the Germans, the Czech ...... every group has some kind of idolized looking at "the old country". There are even Italians ( college chicks) who get the Italian flag tatooed on them without even ever being there. So I take it with a grain of salt that you have pierced the minds of large portions of the population to know where their whole loyalty lies or why this group of immigrants would be any different than any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
 
177 posts, read 114,759 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
They came here legaly, Theres a diference.
You're going to have to show me how legality or illegality somehow impares a person's ability to learn english, because I'm pretty sure that all those Italians, Swedes, and Dutch immigrants that came over in the 1800 and 1900's may have been legal but they spoke Italian, Swedish, and Dutch in the barrios at the same levels as all these iiillllleeeggggaaaaalllll speech whatever foreign language they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
I'll just assume you're not that dumb

English Usage among Hispanics in the United States - Pew Research Center

literally 5 seconds of research

Really? How about an Italian that flies the Italian flag? Or you know St Patricks Day? Why are those huge anti-nationalistic 5th column celebrations off your radar? Do you believe that this is anti American?

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...f?t=1318204982

You are pretty much spouting the same thing that was said of the Irish, the Chinese, the Italians, the Hmong, the Germans, the Czech ...... every group has some kind of idolized looking at "the old country". There are even Italians ( college chicks) who get the Italian flag tatooed on them without even ever being there. So I take it with a grain of salt that you have pierced the minds of large portions of the population to know where their whole loyalty lies or why this group of immigrants would be any different than any other.
MOST Mexicans livin in the USA are illegal aleins. I said Mexicans, NOT Chicanos. An illegals makes ALL Chicanos look real bad in the eyes of anglos an Black people.

MOST Irish, Italians, etc, were here LEGAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 PM
 
177 posts, read 114,759 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
MOST Mexicans livin in the USA are illegal aleins. I said Mexicans, NOT Chicanos. An illegals makes ALL Chicanos look real bad in the eyes of anglos an Black people.

MOST Irish, Italians, etc, were here LEGAL.
Yeah somehow that didn't make it make it into people's sentiments back in the day, it was mostly about the dirty Irish and filty Italians and how the 'swathy' people are lowering the IQ if the noble American populous. Which is how we got immigration quotas in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,237,724 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
Yeah somehow that didn't make it make it into people's sentiments back in the day, it was mostly about the dirty Irish and filty Italians and how the 'swathy' people are lowering the IQ if the noble American populous. Which is how we got immigration quotas in the first place.
Time for quotas AGAIN. Back in the day the Italians, etc. had a nasty rep an Americans demanded and got quotas. Many Italians went back to Italy, the ones who stayed here became American real fast. Some of my homies are Italian background an told me storys of there grandparents and great grands NOT teaching Italian to there kids but made em speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top