U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I see, I still think it's misleading since there are some Americans who still call themselves Mexican (because they think of it as a race, even though it's not). I know that a lot people confuse nationality with ethnicity and often times some people of Mexican descent say their Mexican when asked what they are (using my anecdotal experience).

Either-way, I still defend them because I hate to see how they're insulted or looked down upon. I'm appalled by some of the comments the other Latinos here are making about Mexicans (it's like their insulting me as well).
The only negative comments are about the illegal alien kind and those who support them. Yes, some Latinos don't have that tribal mentality. Amazing, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The only negative comments are about the illegal alien kind and those who support them. Yes, some Latinos don't have that tribal mentality. Amazing, isn't it?
I would guess that if you took out the Mexican and Central American portion, immigrants from Latin America would be pretty similar to immigrants from non-hispanic countries, more easily assimilating and respectful of the laws. I knew a married couple from South America - Colombia and Peru and in the workplace, they'd speak English with each other if others were around.

Also I bet most of us would't know what the flags of those other countries look like because they aren't bringing them here to wave in our faces obnoxiously and aren't going around insisting this land is theirs now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
 
9,243 posts, read 7,122,528 times
Reputation: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would guess that if you took out the Mexican and Central American portion, immigrants from Latin America would be pretty similar to immigrants from non-hispanic countries, more easily assimilating and respectful of the laws. I knew a married couple from South America - Colombia and Peru and in the workplace, they'd speak English with each other if others were around.

Also I bet most of us would't know what the flags of those other countries look like because they aren't bringing them here to wave in our faces obnoxiously and aren't going around insisting this land is theirs now.
I find it disrespectful when they know English but blatantly Speak another language very loud around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,282,175 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would guess that if you took out the Mexican and Central American portion, immigrants from Latin America would be pretty similar to immigrants from non-hispanic countries, more easily assimilating and respectful of the laws. I knew a married couple from South America - Colombia and Peru and in the workplace, they'd speak English with each other if others were around.

Also I bet most of us would't know what the flags of those other countries look like because they aren't bringing them here to wave in our faces obnoxiously and aren't going around insisting this land is theirs now.
Assimilation takes time and I assume now more than ever considering the economy we're in. Even the Europeans who immigrated here decades ago took time to assimilate and that was why they were discriminated against. I know that some stores had signs that said "Irish no need apply" and newspapers actually ran cartoon illustrations depicting them as apes.

Anyway, I don't know where you live because I have seen plenty of flags from central and South Americans especially during their independence, a national football game or in the rear view mirror of their cars. This includes the Italians and Polish, though the Polish were in Chicago I haven't seen that many here in Houston. I would see a lot of Polish in the buses in Chicago as well and they'd be speaking polish to each other but I did not mind. I don't mind them waving their flags as their merely showing respect to their cultural ethnic heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Assimilation takes time and I assume now more than ever considering the economy we're in. Even the Europeans who immigrated here decades ago took time to assimilate and that was why they were discriminated against. I know that some stores had signs that said "Irish no need apply" and newspapers actually ran cartoon illustrations depicting them as apes.

Anyway, I don't know where you live because I have seen plenty of flags from central and South Americans especially during their independence, a national football game or in the rear view mirror of their cars. This includes the Italians and Polish, though the Polish were in Chicago I haven't seen that many here in Houston. I would see a lot of Polish in the buses in Chicago as well and they'd be speaking polish to each other but I did not mind. I don't mind them waving their flags as their merely showing respect to their cultural ethnic heritage.
I disagree. A flag represents a country not a cultural or ethnic heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Assimilation takes time and I assume now more than ever considering the economy we're in. Even the Europeans who immigrated here decades ago took time to assimilate and that was why they were discriminated against. I know that some stores had signs that said "Irish no need apply" and newspapers actually ran cartoon illustrations depicting them as apes.

Anyway, I don't know where you live because I have seen plenty of flags from central and South Americans especially during their independence, a national football game or in the rear view mirror of their cars. This includes the Italians and Polish, though the Polish were in Chicago I haven't seen that many here in Houston. I would see a lot of Polish in the buses in Chicago as well and they'd be speaking polish to each other but I did not mind. I don't mind them waving their flags as their merely showing respect to their cultural ethnic heritage.
Well like the Colombian-Peruvian couple I knew, assimilation didn't seem to take them forever as they were both able to speak English and even would converse in English when others were present, I think just to be polite.

I've known Vietnamese and Koreans who spoke English but with accents, and it didn't take them 60 years to learn a few words. I know Nigerian immigrants who also have no trouble speaking English except for having accents and having to think a little for the right word.

Assimilation isn't all that difficult for many immigrants. I think it's got mostly to do with motivation and desire, intellectual curiousity.

I find it difficult to understand why so many can come here and have no curiousity to learn the language, to speak with the people here or ever be a real part of American society. It's not all that hard to learn another language, but you have to wonder why people would plan on relocating to a country without learning a few words and phrases first.

Assimilation has everything to do with attitude. A Chinese immigrant I knew was saying the hardest thing for him was the humor, he said to really understand a culture, it's important to understand the humor so he would watch the late night talk shows and try to figure out why people were laughing when they did but he said that was not always so apparent, but he was certainly making the effort. There are those who insist on having their own country's television shows, radio stations and never make an effort to explore outside it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 AM
 
11 posts, read 6,234 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well like the Colombian-Peruvian couple I knew, assimilation didn't seem to take them forever as they were both able to speak English and even would converse in English when others were present, I think just to be polite.

I've known Vietnamese and Koreans who spoke English but with accents, and it didn't take them 60 years to learn a few words. I know Nigerian immigrants who also have no trouble speaking English except for having accents and having to think a little for the right word.

Assimilation isn't all that difficult for many immigrants. I think it's got mostly to do with motivation and desire, intellectual curiousity.

I find it difficult to understand why so many can come here and have no curiousity to learn the language, to speak with the people here or ever be a real part of American society. It's not all that hard to learn another language, but you have to wonder why people would plan on relocating to a country without learning a few words and phrases first.

Assimilation has everything to do with attitude. A Chinese immigrant I knew was saying the hardest thing for him was the humor, he said to really understand a culture, it's important to understand the humor so he would watch the late night talk shows and try to figure out why people were laughing when they did but he said that was not always so apparent, but he was certainly making the effort. There are those who insist on having their own country's television shows, radio stations and never make an effort to explore outside it.

its not that they dont assimilate, is that there is a constant flow of imigrants from mexico, so that when they assimilate you dont notice it, and you only notice the new wave of immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 01:34 AM
 
11 posts, read 6,234 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xutka View Post
Good luck trying to be heard in the US if you happen to have a latin american background that is NOT mexican!!!!

latino in the US is all about mexicans, the mexican lobby in the US is SO MASSIVE they really tries to absorb other latin american identities and pass them as mexican to gain political power.

in reality most south americans CANT STAND being associated with mexicans.... they are not similar in any way, nor cultural, neither ethnic!

Chileans, Argentinians, Uruguayans in America are for example mostly middle class caucasians.... but because they speak spanish then they are instantly sucked into this ridiculous innacurate term.... and of course labeled and stereotyped as mexicans!!

Colombians I know lots of them, are pretty much very integrated into the US and quickly joining the middle class ranks.... they dont even resemble mexicans and once again, another ethnic group that gets SUCKED by the hispanic label and the mexican smell it expunges!!

Hispanic in America has become interchangeable with Mexican, the Mexicans use it freely and feel entitled to it, many are even racist against other hispanics... I have a Colombian friend who applied for a loan to buy a car, she was looking for a cheap car so went to a mexican car dealer and the mexicans there actually DENIED HER OF ANY KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE because she wasn't mexican... lesson learned she went to a car dealer ran by white people and got the car she needed!!!

IF you separate the groups of hispanics in America you realize that there are Mexicans and then there are the rest..... the rest usually tend to assimilate easier into mainstream America... many even pass very easily for your next door white or sometimes black..... and many of them have to pretty much abandon their culture just so they wont be once again sucked into this irritating mexican-hispanic stereotype......

are you south american? since south americans are soo european looking and soo smart and soo beautifull, and well educated, and seem to assimilate very fast. shouldnt us americans be more worry about them more than the illiterate durty good for nothing mexican.i say this because theres legal immigrants who come from europe, south america and other countries with better education than the majority of americans. and from the day they set foot in this great county they enjoy the same benefit as any other american. and not only that,they take our good white collar jobs, the good paying jobs. but i guess most of us americans dont worry about those jobs since we are very uneducated ourself. we rather blame it on people with lower education, and habits , who cant even speak back. and now since we really suck, in relation to legal immigrats from other countries exept mexico. we find ourself in a very bad situation. instead of blaming ourself for the wey our life turn out we tend to blame it on the weakest. while this new legal comer are taking everything good from us.

now south americans tend to migrate to europe rather than america, since is cheaper because most south american countries dont need a visa to go to the european union. i have been to spain and they are consider a pest, especially argentinians peruvians brasilians. now for all of you with polish background, and all the other poor nation of europe. you are consider a pest just as mexicans in america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,282,175 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well like the Colombian-Peruvian couple I knew, assimilation didn't seem to take them forever as they were both able to speak
I find it difficult to understand why so many can come here and have no curiousity to learn the language, to speak with the people here or ever be a real part of American society. It's not all that hard to learn another language, but you have to wonder why people would plan on relocating to a country without learning a few words and phrases first.
Assimilation has everything to do with attitude. A Chinese immigrant I knew was saying the hardest thing for him was the humor, he said to really understand a culture, it's important to understand the humor so he would watch the late night talk shows and try to figure out why people were laughing when they did but he said that was not always so apparent, but he was certainly making the effort. There are those who insist on having their own country's television shows, radio stations and never make an effort to explore outside it.
Again people always using a few case examples to generalize. I have also met people from the countries you mentioned who don't speak english, but I'm not going to generalize and say they're are all like that.

As for the other question they came here seeking a better life for their family which means working. Some can barely live off their low wages so they often work overtime or have a second job. So, time and fatigue could be one of the causes for some not assimilating immediately. Although, as someone else mentioned since there is a constant flow you might not notice those that have already assimilated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 08:41 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetosteron View Post
are you south american? since south americans are soo european looking and soo smart and soo beautifull, and well educated, and seem to assimilate very fast. shouldnt us americans be more worry about them more than the illiterate durty good for nothing mexican.i say this because theres legal immigrants who come from europe, south america and other countries with better education than the majority of americans. and from the day they set foot in this great county they enjoy the same benefit as any other american. and not only that,they take our good white collar jobs, the good paying jobs. but i guess most of us americans dont worry about those jobs since we are very uneducated ourself. we rather blame it on people with lower education, and habits , who cant even speak back. and now since we really suck, in relation to legal immigrats from other countries exept mexico. we find ourself in a very bad situation. instead of blaming ourself for the wey our life turn out we tend to blame it on the weakest. while this new legal comer are taking everything good from us.

now south americans tend to migrate to europe rather than america, since is cheaper because most south american countries dont need a visa to go to the european union. i have been to spain and they are consider a pest, especially argentinians peruvians brasilians. now for all of you with polish background, and all the other poor nation of europe. you are consider a pest just as mexicans in america.
The issue isn't the job skills or lack thereof or about the education of foreingers but coming here legally. This is the illegal immigration forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top