U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:33 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't think they demand to be taught in their language, having bilingual courses simply makes it easier for some kids (some studies also show it's beneficial), but I also think it's good for kids to learn more than one language. I also didn't say fatigue was the only issue I said it could be one of the reasons not the sole reason.
Yeah, well these bi-lingual courses are costing the taxpayers money. Stats show that English emersion is the way to go anyway not coddling these non-English speakers in their native language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
I don't think they demand to be taught in their language, having bilingual courses simply makes it easier for some kids (some studies also show it's beneficial), but I also think it's good for kids to learn more than one language. I also didn't say fatigue was the only issue I said it could be one of the reasons not the sole reason.
It can be good to learn more than one language but that doesn't seem to be the case very often when you consider the high drop out rates and low SAT scores these bilingual kids have. Even where I live where they very much push learning Spanish, the kids who speak only English tend to do much better in school and graduate on time.

I don't really think that's necessarily the result of learning another language but the way it's done here. Kids who attend schools in Mexico seem to do much better when it comes to learning both languages when they are taught English besides Spanish. They seem a lot less inclined to speak only Spanglish.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,277,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yeah, well these bi-lingual courses are costing the taxpayers money. Stats show that English emersion is the way to go anyway not coddling these non-English speakers in their native language.
Can you provide evidence for this that does not come from a blog? My cousin who's getting a degree in education has told me that the papers she has read claim that bilingual courses are beneficial for kids.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 PM

9,243 posts, read 7,099,270 times
Quote:
Can you provide evidence for this that does not come from a blog? My cousin who's getting a degree in education has told me that the papers she has read claim that bilingual courses are beneficial for kids.
Bilingual education is legal segregation.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
California's successful Proposition 227 initiative mandated "English-Immersion Instruction" for non-native speakers of English in our schools. Some current educational research results seem to indicate that immigrant students who are non-native speakers of English perform much better in "main stream" classroom settings after one or more years of "English-Immersion Instruction" than students who were subjected to traditional "Bi-Lingual Education".

Racially Correct Definition of Bilingual Education

Old 10-03-2011, 08:33 PM

256 posts, read 239,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I want to clear something up with everyone. When the pundits on the internet and TV talk about "Hispanics", they specifically mean Mexican-Americans. I know people use Hispanic as a synonymous term for Mexican, but let's remember about the illegal alien debate. When the illegal alien supporters say these laws target "Hispanics" and frame it like it also targets Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Colombians, etc., take it at face value. The Mexican lobby in the U.S. wants to freak out other Hispanic groups and tie us in to the Mexican amnesty cause WHICH IS NOT OUR OWN. And to those that don't know, Mexicans make up 2/3 of the entire Hispanic population in the U.S., with the remaining 1/3 being shared with the other 18 different Hispanics. So let us remember, the "Hispanic" lobby is really the Mexican lobby
I agree.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:
Make more sense to teach the Mexican kids IN Mexico the English. English is the langauge of money, Spanish aint. I hate sayin this but every Spanish language country today is a mess, even Spain.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thanks for speaking the truth. This is a Mexican illegal alien movement, period. And, I agree with LuckyGem, it’s time for others to speak up. Mexican illegal aliens have sullied the image of all Spanish-speaking immigrants, and citizens alike. Prior to their invasion, we did not have these issues. No one gave a second thought to hearing Spanish. Nor did anyone assume Hispanics were here illegally. Now, even Hispanics are questioning the status of other Hispanics. I know this is true, because I have close relationships with quite a few.
As a pale white USC of PR descent, I make a point of marking Hispanic on every form placed before me. Several times people have questioned me about it and I've told them that the lines have been blurred by those who seek to use the term Hispanic to create race issues or legitimize criminal border jumping. That those they've been conditioned to accept as Hispanic are Mexican.

And yes, when I see a group of short, darker complexioned Spanish speaking men working for landscapers and roofers, I do question their status.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
California's successful Proposition 227 initiative mandated "English-Immersion Instruction" for non-native speakers of English in our schools. Some current educational research results seem to indicate that immigrant students who are non-native speakers of English perform much better in "main stream" classroom settings after one or more years of "English-Immersion Instruction" than students who were subjected to traditional "Bi-Lingual Education".

Racially Correct Definition of Bilingual Education
My Spaniard grandmother and grandfather bore their children in the USA; they spoke Spanish exclusively in the home. Their children spoke no English when the started public school and, at that time, English was the only language spoken in the schools.

The children all became fluent English speakers and neither my grandmother, her sisters or brother had a Spanish accent.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 PM

177 posts, read 114,789 times
Quote:
Some? It's pretty well known that teaching bi ( or more) lingual education at a very early age has enormous benefits to brain development, cognitive abilities, and linguistic achievement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or