U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 01:08 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,716,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Did you read the next sentences?

I'm assuming there are issues with the time it takes getting the work visa cards causing convenience and efficiency issues as stated too.
So, when are you going to answer my question?

Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 PM

951 posts, read 617,811 times
Oh you mean things like the workers arriving weeks after harvest is over? It isn't what would happen, it is what happens already.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM

2,477 posts, read 1,716,526 times
Quote:
Oh you mean things like the workers arriving weeks after harvest is over?
You still haven't answered my question, you continue to come up with hyperbole. Let's see if your third attempt will be the charm.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM

15,575 posts, read 29,334,385 times
Huddledmasses, you said...
Quote:
We have a tremendous demand for workers, but a limited supply. In order to solve this problem, we need guest-worker programs...
How do you reconcile this with the fact that our national unemployment rate is currently 9.2 percent (according to google news)?

I'd say there are *plenty* of workers out there to satisfy the damand. Once we get our unemployment rate down to....oh....2% or so, then we can look at a "guest worker" program. IMHO

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You still haven't answered my question, you continue to come up with hyperbole. Let's see if your third attempt will be the charm.

Hyperbole? lol.

From that same USDA recommendation page:

Quote:
The unavailability of appointments for potential H-2A Mexican workers at the U.S. Consulate offices in Mexico during the summer months delays and prevents timely arrival of growers’ workforces to the U.S. farms. Workers often arrive weeks after the proper harvest time.

Colorado orchards try to hire locally, but workers aren't interested - The Denver Post

Quote:
He said because he has seen desperation in their eyes this year, he tries to hire them despite the challenges. In doing so, he runs the risk of not having enough workers at harvest time. If his American workers quit, it will be too late to apply for more H-2A workers.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,513,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unfortunately, illegal immigration IS transforming this country into a place no one will want to live. It is much easier to remove a person from a squalid barrio, than it is to remove the mindset from the person. Rather than appreciating the U.S. as a nicer environment, illegals tend to want to replicate the very conditions they escaped.
Add that reason to my previous list.

Years ago this was a pretty area to live. Today the main street is filled with litter tossed from cars and most of the business signs are in spanish.

And I dare any naysayers to imply that I'm hallucinating all of this. My town has been turned into a spithole. And I'm sure it's not the only town.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Huddledmasses, you said...

How do you reconcile this with the fact that our national unemployment rate is currently 9.2 percent (according to google news)?

I'd say there are *plenty* of workers out there to satisfy the damand. Once we get our unemployment rate down to....oh....2% or so, then we can look at a "guest worker" program. IMHO

20yrsinBranson
Most of the unemployed are educated and not looking for the same jobs. Cheap labor would create growth and more jobs in the fields they would be looking though.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,237,777 times
Quote:
Most of the unemployed are educated and not looking for the same jobs. Cheap labor would create growth and more jobs in the fields they would be looking though.
Exactly. Americans do not want the jobs that illegals are currently employed doing.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Exactly. Americans do not want the jobs that illegals are currently employed doing.
i call BS on that.

from business insider, mcdonald's had a job fair:
They had advertised for 50,000 jobs, and ended up hiring 62K.

But what's remarkable is how many people applied: According to CBS2Chicago, there were, wait for it... 1 MILLION APPLICANTS, which means that your odds of getting a job were just 6.2%.

Meanwhile, Harvard's acceptance rate is about 7%.

people WANT to work in this country but there clearly aren't enough jobs for everyone. it is beyond sad when 1 million americans show up for 50,000 advertised mcdonald's jobs.

something needs to be fixed, and guess what part of that fix includes?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM

I'm not even sure your point in trying to compare McDonald's jobs to Harvard's acceptance rate.

By educated I meant at least a high school diploma, not the nation's elite.

Also, if these Americans are so ready and willing to work please explain the huge number of openings on farms in GA where they had to have judges assign criminals field work to help get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration