Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
It doesn't matter if they buy or rent. They are still consuming housing. And if they stop consuming housing, if demand suddenly drops by twenty million people, prices ACROSS THE BOARD are going to plummet even more. They are currently living SOMEWHERE. And if they all instantly vanish, that's going to cause a huge supply glut. It would be much, much worse than what happened around 2008.
PRICES HAVE ALREADY PLUMMETED!

Is that clear? Median prices have ALREADY dropped enormously in many areas. Many of those twenty million people are not buying houses because they can't afford it. When they go home the only way it will affect housing is that we'll probably have more people who aren't living five people in two rooms that don't meet any kind of building codes.

Quote:
I would prefer if we had a bunch of rainbows and every kid had a pony.

Now that we got that out of the way, would you like to answer the question? Who do you think is going to fill all those "no-skill" jobs if you magically banish all illegals?
Since when is basic economics rainbows, ponies and magic?

Low skilled Americans will fill those jobs. The estimated unemployment rate is about 20% in that group. This will benefit Americans enormously when such people leave the disability and welfare rolls and take jobs instead.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So basically, you have no idea if they were legal or not but just want to blame it on illegals. BTW, I don't know any restaurant manager or owner that wouldn't pay the dishwasher to do the prep work if he had enough time. You don't need to be a chef to do prep work.

And how much do you know about kitchen work ? I suppose any idiot could cut an onion. But would they know how to small dice, med dice, julienne or brunoise ? doubt it

Not to mention batonet, paysanne etc etc

I think I know what I'm talking about since I'M the one who went to college. Not some dishwashing illegal off the street, sorry.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Since you brought it up, where are the numbers on how many illegals work in McDonalds. This only shows that they are willing to work at McDonalds, not anywhere else.

I do agree that we need more jobs, but illegals aren't flooding the McDonalds market.
the post wasn't actually about "mcdonald's" per se.

you aren't seeing the actual point of that post- which is to demonstrate the huge oversupply of labor in america now-people trying to get ANY job in this country.

our economy could not absorb this many people flooding into our country. i don't really know any country's economy that could handle all of this explosive immigration frankly. this oversupply of labor causes both a drop in wages and an increase in the need for social services.

the one job that the government does have is to protect the citizens and our government has let us down-BOTH PARTIES.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
Let's deport them and find out what would happen!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 PM

951 posts, read 745,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the post wasn't actually about "mcdonald's" per se.

you aren't seeing the actual point of that post- which is to demonstrate the huge oversupply of labor in america now-people trying to get ANY job in this country.

our economy could not absorb this many people flooding into our country. i don't really know any country's economy that could handle all of this explosive immigration frankly. this oversupply of labor causes both a drop in wages and an increase in the need for social services.

the one job that the government does have is to protect the citizens and our government has let us down-BOTH PARTIES.
Explain the 9.8% unemployment in Georgia and 12+k job openings just on farms alone.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:46 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Explain the 9.8% unemployment in Georgia and 12+k job openings just on farms alone.
i would suggest then that they advertise like mcdonald's did and watch the response.

now you explain the unemployment number.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 PM

951 posts, read 745,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would suggest then that they advertise like mcdonald's did and watch the response.
Take Our Jobs

That program was featured on many national news stations. Hardly anyone applied.

Not to mention the judges in GA started forcing criminals to work in the fields as part of their sentences to save face when the farmers all said they had millions of dollars of crops rotting. This was covered on all national and local news stations as well. Anyone in Georgia that is unemployed knows these jobs are available yet they aren't going to work at them.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,123 times
Quote:
Hyperbole? lol.

From that same USDA recommendation page:

Colorado orchards try to hire locally, but workers aren't interested - The Denver Post
So basically your link states that "in Mexico during the summer months" they can't get enough workers to fill appointments. So, your basically only looking at Mexico for your answer, what about the rest of S America or the world for that matter? or is it only Mexicans that do this work according to you and they should be the only ones allowed to obtain an H2A visa?

I don't care about these jobs not being filled by legal workers here as your Colorado link states, I in fact agree to allowing H2A workers to come and work, to grant all here illegally right now an H2A visa and to put them to work at the farms.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter if they buy or rent. They are still consuming housing. And if they stop consuming housing, if demand suddenly drops by twenty million people, prices ACROSS THE BOARD are going to plummet even more. They are currently living SOMEWHERE. And if they all instantly vanish, that's going to cause a huge supply glut. It would be much, much worse than what happened around 2008.
A renter is not the same as a buyer, it is the owning of the home that has caused the market to plummet. Foreclosures are at an all time high, those previous owners are moving in the market to renters which in turn is driving the rental market up. This doesn't fix the housing market. Your argument is speculation at best.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
So you are finally admitting they're NOT "taking jobs" from americans, then?
Love the attempted spin. The discussion is about farm workers, your broad generalization only shows a feeble attempt at obfuscation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration