Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times

Advertisements

All I know is what happened to me. And I wasn't even offered the chance to accept the lower pay anyway (I would have taken it in spite of the fact that I now have student loans up my butt to pay).

I know I showed them I could more then do the job as I was told often enough that I was doing a great job and how fast I was. By the way, this job wasn't for executive Chef, it was a lesser chef catering position. In fact, I was told at the outset that there WAS a job for me at the end, but they lost a dishwasher and brought in a new one (who didn't speak english by the way) and I overheard one of the owners asking her if she could do prep as well as the dishes.

Then the last day of my externship I asked the other owner when I would be starting and she looked at me surprised and said there was no position available. Well, you can put two and two together. What happened was a classic case of the carrot and the stick. I worked my butt off for a job that either a) didn't exist in the first place (an attempt to gain as much free labor as possible out of my naive ass) or b) there WAS a position, but they decided at last minute to use the dishwasher in my job.

Whatever. It was wrong no matter how you slice it. As far as hiring illegals goes, they can very easily obtain the fake necessary documents in order to score a job. Everyone knows that.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:44 PM

26 posts, read 30,341 times
I always thought the unemployment rate was the fault of the unemployed, not the employed.

If you have 100 million people of which 10 % are unemployed and you remove 20 million with jobs the unemployment rate would be 10/80, i.e. 12.5 % instead.

I notice there are many in this thread looking at the labor market as something completely static. What is the standard of living and unemployment rate in North Korea, Cuba and other countries with no immigration and/or closed borders?

There is no simple solution to your government's irratic behavior.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:53 PM

26 posts, read 30,341 times
Your English is too good and you write too well. They perceive you as a threat instead of a resource. You know too much and won't be an obedient servant. It's better to hire people who don't know their rights - I am sure you do and they can tell you would get an attorney at the right time if needed while the FOB would just walk off to the next town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I worked my butt off for a job that either a) didn't exist in the first place (an attempt to gain as much free labor as possible out of my naive ass) or b) there WAS a position, but they decided at last minute to use the dishwasher in my job.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Huddledmasses, you said...

How do you reconcile this with the fact that our national unemployment rate is currently 9.2 percent (according to google news)?

I'd say there are *plenty* of workers out there to satisfy the damand. Once we get our unemployment rate down to....oh....2% or so, then we can look at a "guest worker" program. IMHO

20yrsinBranson
They don't care. Those unemployed are Americans and don't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Most of the unemployed are educated and not looking for the same jobs. Cheap labor would create growth and more jobs in the fields they would be looking though.
Not true. Unemployment is higher among the less educated. All cheap labor will do is raise taxes on the middle class and put even more low skilled Americans out of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Exactly. Americans do not want the jobs that illegals are currently employed doing.
At the wages and conditions offered. Employers should stop looking for serfs and start looking for employees. No one is guaranteed the right to employ slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, I know a good number of them are the cheap babysitters, housekeepers, lawn boys for the wealthy who prefer their servants be as cheap as possible. Very likely many more illegals are doing the servant jobs for the laxy types than ever thought of picking carrots.

I think it's harder for the pro-illegals to justify why the American taxpayers must provide Medicaid and food stamps to subsidize the large servant class here.

Back when the pampered elites tried to terrorize people with that: "But who will make your beds?, Who will mow your lawn?, "Who will wash your dishes" and most Americans just looked puzzled because most Americans do all that themselves and don't understand the panic in not having servants surrounding them.
Exactly.

Most of us mow our own lawns and make our beds. We even (OMG!) clean our own houses!

The upper class simply wants servants. They don't care if the net cost of their servants increases our taxes and crowds our schools.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:11 PM

951 posts, read 745,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
All I know is what happened to me. And I wasn't even offered the chance to accept the lower pay anyway (I would have taken it in spite of the fact that I now have student loans up my butt to pay).

I know I showed them I could more then do the job as I was told often enough that I was doing a great job and how fast I was. By the way, this job wasn't for executive Chef, it was a lesser chef catering position. In fact, I was told at the outset that there WAS a job for me at the end, but they lost a dishwasher and brought in a new one (who didn't speak english by the way) and I overheard one of the owners asking her if she could do prep as well as the dishes.

Then the last day of my externship I asked the other owner when I would be starting and she looked at me surprised and said there was no position available. Well, you can put two and two together. What happened was a classic case of the carrot and the stick. I worked my butt off for a job that either a) didn't exist in the first place (an attempt to gain as much free labor as possible out of my naive ass) or b) there WAS a position, but they decided at last minute to use the dishwasher in my job.

Whatever. It was wrong no matter how you slice it. As far as hiring illegals goes, they can very easily obtain the fake necessary documents in order to score a job. Everyone knows that.
So basically, you have no idea if they were legal or not but just want to blame it on illegals. BTW, I don't know any restaurant manager or owner that wouldn't pay the dishwasher to do the prep work if he had enough time. You don't need to be a chef to do prep work.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You are implying that they are/would be able to purchase the overbloated houses, when in reality the better majority of them rent, not own (those that were able to purchase are also part of the ARM crowd which is helping to fuel the foreclosure market). Their low wages and inability to obtain bank loans to purchase doesn't work with your line of reasoning at this time. If they were to leave, it would open up more housing to lower income people as rents would lower with an over abundance of empty housing. Yes, the value of a house would continue to decline (market correction), but it is very doubtful that it would "crash" (intimidating wording) more.
It doesn't matter if they buy or rent. They are still consuming housing. And if they stop consuming housing, if demand suddenly drops by twenty million people, prices ACROSS THE BOARD are going to plummet even more. They are currently living SOMEWHERE. And if they all instantly vanish, that's going to cause a huge supply glut. It would be much, much worse than what happened around 2008.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
H2A visa, unlimited supply. we can bring in all the worlds poor under it, yet it is used very sparingly, why?
So you are finally admitting they're NOT "taking jobs" from americans, then?

Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I would prefer to have a country where immigration laws are enforced and Americans not asked to finance the economic dreams of all the world's poor people. I would prefer to that employers obeyed our workplace laws and hired people who meet all legal standards.

Why do you want to make this country into an overcrowded hellhole filled with employers who can simply do whatever they damned well please?
I would prefer if we had a bunch of rainbows and every kid had a pony.

Now that we got that out of the way, would you like to answer the question? Who do you think is going to fill all those "no-skill" jobs if you magically banish all illegals?

Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
2) Your link states the following:

So what would happen if the employers were to actually use it?
Your standard of living (along with that of all americans) would go down.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It is much easier to remove a person from a squalid barrio, than it is to remove the mindset from the person.
But let me guess, you're not a bigot, right? I mean, this is only the most overtly bigoted sentence in this thread, but if anyone were to suggest you're a bigot, it would be the most outrageous accusation ever. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration