U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times

Advertisements

The kid was 17 in the hypothetical. This statement has no relevance to what was being discussed.

Yes it does. At some point he'll be eighteen. When do you hold him to a standard other than a GED?

Allowing this kid a reasonable path to citizenship is not being unfair to any Americans.

Yes it is. Why should LEGAL immigrants have to jump through all sorts of hoops but this guy gets a pass because his parents skipped the lines?

Where did I say that a GED would get you anywhere, this kid did well in school we are to assume he's going to college. He is a kid with good potential.

He's a foreign national who can go back to his own country and use his potential there.

Do you understand what a hypothetical is?

Do you?

Thanks for the confirmation.

Because he will benefit our society and we have invested a bunch of money in his education.

There's no evidence for that. Illegals tend to lag behind Americans in academic achievement and wages earned over a lifetime. When you argue that we have to educate one you argue that we have to educate all of them. That's not a good idea no matter what the supreme court stated.

No, your argument about overcrowded schools is overblown. Its just another shallow justification for your stupid position.

<--- There aren't enough of these to express my contempt for your words.

How can you possibly downplay overcrowded schools? Ignoring the results of illegal immigration -- results you admit are real -- is ludicrous. It's hardly "shallow" for Americans to want their kids to get a good education.

Once again one sees the hypocrisy of the pro-illegal immigration stance. When an illegal wants to bring their children here that illegal is just seeking a better life for their kids. When an American wants the same for their kids that American is just being stupid, shallow and irrational.

If you care so little about the education of children then do us a favor and don't have any.

Where did I say I had contempt for Americans solely because they spoke one language?

This was a relative comparison between two hypothetical individuals.

You wrote you had more respect for people who speak more than one language. Most illegals only speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:37 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,362,724 times
I am interrupting this thread temporarily to say.... I GOT THE JOB!!!!! I start Monday

Old 07-15-2011, 05:43 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So who's refusing to learn other languages? You are. You remind me of old people that refused to learn computer languages and now suffer.

You have yet to provide information backing up your claim that they are flat out refusing to learn English.
Im cool with NOT learning another language in MY country where the language is English. If a Mexican, etc. dont like it, he can go back home.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:05 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I am interrupting this thread temporarily to say.... I GOT THE JOB!!!!! I start Monday
Congratulations.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
1. Your first paragraph is very funny. Here is the definition of 'globalization' from Wiki:
Globalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That massive migration of people's that speak Spanish IS a direct consequence of globalization. That paragraph basically reads: Spanish language requirements for jobs aren't related to Globalization. They are instead related to... globalization. It's like some kind of self-defeating tautologous statement.

Wrt you second paragraph, do you not understand that there are people here legally (ZOMG I mentioned legal immigrants OFF-TOPIC!!!) who prefer to speak in their primary language. It's an obvious advantage for a company to be able to communicate to potential customers AND potential employees in whatever language they prefer. It's going to make their company more attractive to a broader spectrum of customers as well as employees.
Unless I missed it, ILLEGAL immigration was not mentioned in your quote. Nor is it a globalization requirement, other than to provide slave labor for greedy globalists.

It has already been established that most Hispanics in this country are from Mexico. And, it is also a fact that we now have more illegal aliens from Mexico than legal immigrants, who generally have at least rudimentary English language skills. So, who, other than illegals, are these bilingual job requirements intended to accommodate? But, this issue has been debated to death. Itís pointless to beat a dead horse.

Note the disproportionate amount of funding required for illegal aliens.

Quote:
In the first nationwide study of its kind, the nonpartisan Migration Policy Institute estimates that an additional $200 million a year is needed to improve legal immigrants' English skills enough for them to pass a citizenship test and "fully participate in the country's civic life." An additional $2.9 billion a year is required for illegal immigrants to meet those standards, the report says.
English Instruction Touted for Immigrants

Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM

148 posts, read 66,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Im cool with NOT learning another language in MY country where the language is English. If a Mexican, etc. dont like it, he can go back home.
No one said you had to learn another language.

Last edited by VerticalReasoning; 07-15-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM

403 posts, read 280,796 times
Quote:
Congrats!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 AM

2,798 posts, read 5,362,724 times
Its reading studies like these which make it very difficult for me to accept any type of large scale amnesty, especially the Political Attitudes section...

Hispanics: A Statistical Portrait (http://www.amren.com/features/hispanics/index.html - broken link)

Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
what criteria should be met?

how about this, if you are in the USA illegally, then you go back to the country from which you came and apply like all the legal immigrants did.
Thank you, and yes agree with you. They do not deserve anymore then those who become Citizens the legal way. What a slap in the face to those people who have become legal citizens, and doing it the right way. There should be no criteria met, give into this, then you give them that, don't work that way, if you don't respect our Country and our Laws, to want to do things right, they deserve not a thing.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Quote:
Its reading studies like these which make it very difficult for me to accept any type of large scale amnesty, especially the Political Attitudes section...

Hispanics: A Statistical Portrait (http://www.amren.com/features/hispanics/index.html - broken link)
Well if you're gonna read one from American Renaissance, an essentially openly racist organization, you should balance it out. Cato is a very well respected libertarian think tank, focused primarily on economics:

Restriction or Legalization? Measuring the Economic Benefits of Immigration Reform | Peter B. Dixon and Maureen T. Rimmer | Cato Institute: Trade Policy Analysis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration