U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:09 PM

3,496 posts, read 993,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
LOL! Yes, at least it is an honest answer

So, two of your criteria choices would be...

1. Must have higher skills

2. No criminal history

3. Must come here legally. No exceptions.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,930,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I want the immigration department to enforce existing laws on immigration. Like most Americans that's what I want.
Yes, I agree! If they had been doing this all along we wouldn't be dealing with the current illegal immigration crisis. I think the entire system needs an overhaul, from top to bottom.

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 2,835,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Okay, I know that many are completely against any sort of amnesty for those who have entered our country illegally. I also strongly held this stance until recently, but have now reconsidered that stance to one which is a bit more willing to allow at least SOME to be given amnesty.

IF amnesty were to be offered, what criteria would you want to see met before it was granted?

For me, I would want these issues considered...

1. Has the applicant been a benefit to their community and neighborhood, instead of a detriment. Example...they take pride in where they live and strive to maintain a nice, healthy living environment which helps to improve instead of drop property values.

2. They have integrated with American society to a degree which enables and encourages communication with others outside of their ethnic background.

3. They have learned the basics of the American English language, maybe not fluently, but enough to communicate.

4. They have supported themselves and their family without the aid of welfare or any other benefits.

5. They have no criminal background, other than the fact that they entered the country illegally.

6. They do not have any infectious disease which could have an impact on Americans.

7. They are mentally and physically healthy enough to work for a living instead of resorting to welfare or benefits.

8. They are willing to pay the usual immigration fees, as well as a fine for entering illegally.

9. They have no gang affiliations, nor any ties to terrorists groups or political groups which seek to overthrow the American government.

10. They are not involved in any way with the trafficking of drugs.

These are just the main issues I would want to be considered if amnesty were to be offered.

NO amnesty!!!!!!!

Deport them all

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 406,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
3. Must come here legally. No exceptions.
17 year old illegal brought here at 2 months realizes that he is an illegal and immediately goes to the authorities to petition for citizenship. Exception?

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:23 PM

250 posts, read 239,788 times
All sounds fair to me, this would have to come together with good border security and a hard enforcement on the employers to hire legal labor...

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM

1,421 posts, read 563,377 times
I gonna say this.

IF the economy wasnt so bad, IF those fools werent demanding stuff in 2006, IF the illegals leanrt to speak English. Maybe some amnesty. Since the illegals have messed up: NO amnesty.

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:39 PM

5,141 posts, read 1,430,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
17 year old illegal brought here at 2 months realizes that he is an illegal and immediately goes to the authorities to petition for citizenship. Exception?
Petition for residency under current rules. Also note that a minor child would typically naturalize from a parent becoming a citizen (and filing an N-600 for them), not on their own. The timeline you offer doesn't appeared to break any immigration laws the child themself could be charged with ("illegal presence doesn't start until age 18 years and 181 days).

Much of the time, however, that an immigration offense like EWI or false representation is done willingly after age 16, the child is treated as an adult...

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:52 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,930,867 times
I know that some of you are hardlined on the "Absolutely NO Amnesty" stance. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, which I respect. What I am asking everyone to do is to step out of that stance for a few minutes, and give some thought to the "what if" proposition. Certainly if amnesty were to become a reality, and we had to live with it, what would you at least want the amnesty rules and criteria to include?

We've all played the "What 3 things would you want with you if stranded on an island" scenario, even though it is not even a remote possibility for most of us.

I'm sure we have all been confronted with making a choice between various options, even though our own personal choice wasn't included and we didn't like or agree with those offered.

Even I have found myself starting to waver on my newer, slightly more tolerant stance. Earlier this week I was chased out of a park by three very large and intimidating Mexican gang bangers. This park, where I used to play happily and SAFELY as a child, is now surrounded by houses filled with illegal immigrant families. What used to be much sought after, premiere homes have become broken down, filthy, decrepit wrecks. I'm not talking about just a few houses, This is the entire neighborhood. My sister and I were there because it had a fantastic, unobstructed vantage point for photographing moving trains. It soon became obvious that we were not welcome there. Just that one incident almost shattered all the re-evaluation I had done regarding the illegal immigrant situation. But, once my head cleared and I could think in a safe environment, I realized that I could not in good conscience tar ALL illegals with the same brush, like the ones I met in Moorpark.

Step out of your boxes and at least offer some thoughtful criteria.

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:54 PM

39,374 posts, read 38,906,713 times
Amnesty was a failed idea of the 80's. We still are working on the other half of that legislation of sealing the borders and removal of illegals in this country.

Unread 07-14-2011, 01:56 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,146,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
what criteria should be met?

how about this, if you are in the USA illegally, then you go back to the country from which you came and apply like all the legal immigrants did.
Sounds right. Simple and verifiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration