U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:59 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Petition for residency under current rules. Also note that a minor child would typically naturalize from a parent becoming a citizen (and filing an N-600 for them), not on their own. The timeline you offer doesn't appeared to break any immigration laws the child themself could be charged with ("illegal presence doesn't start until age 18 years and 181 days).

Much of the time, however, that an immigration offense like EWI or false representation is done willingly after age 16, the child is treated as an adult...
I realize the legal realities (well, to some extent), I'm just speaking normatively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,019,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
...Even I have found myself starting to waver on my newer, slightly more tolerant stance. Earlier this week I was chased out of a park by three very large and intimidating Mexican gang bangers. This park, where I used to play happily and SAFELY as a child, is now surrounded by houses filled with illegal immigrant families. What used to be much sought after, premiere homes have become broken down, filthy, decrepit wrecks. I'm not talking about just a few houses, This is the entire neighborhood. My sister and I were there because it had a fantastic, unobstructed vantage point for photographing moving trains. It soon became obvious that we were not welcome there. Just that one incident almost shattered all the re-evaluation I had done regarding the illegal immigrant situation. But, once my head cleared and I could think in a safe environment, I realized that I could not in good conscience tar ALL illegals with the same brush, like the ones I met in Moorpark.

Step out of your boxes and at least offer some thoughtful criteria.
Your critical thinking is admirable Cyanna. I understand there are elements I do not want even in the same country as my children, but the rank and file that are as equally concerned about theirs don't get that same anger. An intolerant position that would generically remove and restrict someone for life from coming back, no matter what good attributes they may have, is not a solution for me.

Stick to your determination, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise...

Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,389,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
17 year old illegal brought here at 2 months realizes that he is an illegal and immediately goes to the authorities to petition for citizenship. Exception?
No. Why should he get to skip the line because his parents brought him here without permission. If they brought him here they can bring him back home. He should be incredibly grateful he was educated at American expense.

The truth is Reagan gave people amnesty in 1986. It didn't work. All we got from it was more illegals. Worse, delusional people who believe we'll do it again and spend years breaking dozens of our laws while they wait. Why should we try it again? Particularly in the middle of the worst economy since the great depression?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
No. Why should he get to skip the line because his parents brought him here without permission. If they brought him here they can bring him back home. He should be incredibly grateful he was educated at American expense.

The truth is Reagan gave people amnesty in 1986. It didn't work. All we got from it was more illegals. Worse, delusional people who believe we'll do it again and spend years breaking dozens of our laws while they wait. Why should we try it again? Particularly in the middle of the worst economy since the great depression?
Not asking if he should be able to skip the line. I'm asking if he should be granted access to a pathway to citizenship or if he should be eliminated from consideration due to his status.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,887,754 times
Quote:
17 year old illegal brought here at 2 months realizes that he is an illegal and immediately goes to the authorities to petition for citizenship. Exception?
Nope.....

Illegal alien? Sob story?

Bye-bye

Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM

403 posts, read 281,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post

If we've invested the money educating him then it would be foolish to kick him out of the country right before we can start getting some return on our investment. The fact that we are in the middle of a bad economy is precisely why kicking this individual out when he's about to become an adult is the very worst thing we could do. Let him use his quality US education to go to work and help dig the economy out of the hole.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I know that some of you are hardlined on the "Absolutely NO Amnesty" stance. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, which I respect. What I am asking everyone to do is to step out of that stance for a few minutes, and give some thought to the "what if" proposition. Certainly if amnesty were to become a reality, and we had to live with it, what would you at least want the amnesty rules and criteria to include?

We've all played the "What 3 things would you want with you if stranded on an island" scenario, even though it is not even a remote possibility for most of us.

I'm sure we have all been confronted with making a choice between various options, even though our own personal choice wasn't included and we didn't like or agree with those offered.

Even I have found myself starting to waver on my newer, slightly more tolerant stance. Earlier this week I was chased out of a park by three very large and intimidating Mexican gang bangers. This park, where I used to play happily and SAFELY as a child, is now surrounded by houses filled with illegal immigrant families. What used to be much sought after, premiere homes have become broken down, filthy, decrepit wrecks. I'm not talking about just a few houses, This is the entire neighborhood. My sister and I were there because it had a fantastic, unobstructed vantage point for photographing moving trains. It soon became obvious that we were not welcome there. Just that one incident almost shattered all the re-evaluation I had done regarding the illegal immigrant situation. But, once my head cleared and I could think in a safe environment, I realized that I could not in good conscience tar ALL illegals with the same brush, like the ones I met in Moorpark.

Step out of your boxes and at least offer some thoughtful criteria.
When it comes to people who break American laws and invade America's borders there is no "think outside the box" any longer....

Amnesty has been implemented before, it doesn't work....

No amount of "what if" scenarios can justify another round of amnesty for these illegal alien invaders.......

Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,389,423 times
Quote:
Not asking if he should be able to skip the line. I'm asking if he should be granted access to a pathway to citizenship or if he should be eliminated from consideration due to his status.
No. Why? He has citizenship in one country. Why does he need another citizenship? If he's unfamiliar with that country well so were his parents when they came here. It didn't stop them from coming here in violation of our laws. Why should it stop any of them from leaving?

His problem is not America's problem.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
If we've invested the money educating him then it would be foolish to kick him out of the country right before we can start getting some return on our investment. The fact that we are in the middle of a bad economy is precisely why kicking this individual out when he's about to become an adult is the very worst thing we could do. Let him use his quality US education to go to work and help dig the economy out of the hole.
Quality US education? You gotta be kidding....

Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,165,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No criteria as I do not support amnesty for illegals in any way, shape, or form. Sorry.
Nor do I as we don't need them. We need the jobs they are holding. Also, most if not all have either committed a felony through either using fake or stolen I.D.'s or SS numbers or tax evasion. Many have re-entered our country illegally more than once and that is also a felony. We should give felons legalization or citizenship? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration