U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,657,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No criteria as I do not support amnesty for illegals in any way, shape, or form. Sorry.
I second that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM

403 posts, read 281,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And just what constitutes an overhaul? Increasing our annual legal immigrant quotas? Yeah, that's what we need with millions of Americans out of a job right now. We don't need to increase our population growth either.

How about this? All illegals here currently who haven't committed a felony, we keep equal numbers from every ethnic group and the rest go home? I don't desire any amnesties but how do the pro-illegals feel about that proposal?
I certainly think an overhaul to the immigration quotas would do plenty of good towards curbing the number of people who might attempt to come here illegally. Wrt criminal history, I'd say as long as there is no record of violent crime or stuff like child molestation, or bank robbery they are ok. I don't really agree with the equal numbers portion, I think I understand why you want it, but I personally don't share those same concerns. I think health screening should be incorporated as well. I'm not positive how it should look, but if they snuck in here just to get free treatment for some expensive illness then I think they should get the boot.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,019,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
That wasn't the issue. The issue is whether he should be completely ineligible for citizenship based on this, even though he reported himself as illegal once he found out.
Maybe they need to look over the case of Robin Whiteley, and figure out how he is "a man without a country". The biggest irony is that Robin can't prove he has Mexican citizenship, so he has to stay in the border region (Reynosa specifically) and cannot get employment (I last heard he was living in the city park). Robin is a "reverse Anchor Baby", from the determination that his adoptive mother didn't know for a fact whether he was born in the United States.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,246,481 times
That they must not have broken any laws during their illegal stay here.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,019,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I second that.
I think you are actually in order being the fourth, fifth, or sixth...

Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,375,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And just what constitutes an overhaul? Increasing our annual legal immigrant quotas? Yeah, that's what we need with millions of Americans out of a job right now. We don't need to increase our population growth either.
The way things are done at USCIS needs to be overhauled. I believe that we need to keep or decrease current quota levels. But, I also believe that many GOOD potential immigrants are finding the financial requirements hurdle to be very difficult to overcome. We don't need a plethora of WEALTHY immigrants, we need immigrants who will work hard and benefit their community and society as a whole. I'm not saying to allow in more "dirt poor" imigrants who will never be able to rise above their current condition no matter where they lived. Just make it fairer to those who CAN improve their lives without being a drain on the system. However, we also need to encourage the immigration of those who would form new businesses, and therefore bring more employment opportunities for Americans.

Also, the USCIS needs to stop changing their fees and requirements on such a regular basis. Immigrating legally is already hard enough without finding that once you THINK you FINALLY have everything together the USCIS suddenly adds yet ANOTHER form or fee.

Quote:
How about this? All illegals here currently who haven't committed a felony, we keep equal numbers from every ethnic group and the rest go home? I don't desire any amnesties but how do the pro-illegals feel about that proposal?
I couldn't agree to that. There would be too many who, although they haven't committed a felony, are not a benefit to our society if they are draining the system through welfare and benefits. I also wouldn't be adverse to shipping a large portion of our "white trash" denizens to another country. We already have enough able-bodied and lazy Americans using other people's tax dollars to support them.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,375,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I just thought of another point on why I think the OP's criteria is ludicrous....

How much will it cost the American government to do these backround checks on each of the 15 million illegal aliens already here?

Or does the OP think they will be handed a form and the illegal alien will truthfully answer the questions? Yeah right....

And the OP thinks the mexican or whatever government is going to supply the requested information concerning each illegal alien wanting into America?

That's the funniest idea I've heard in a long time.........
How is it ludicrous? I did state that if they wanted amnesty they would have to pay the same fees as anyone else trying to immigrate, as well as a fine for entering illegally in the first place. These fees and fines would cover the costs of doing the background checks. Regarding the medical and mental evaluations, the potential immigrant must pay the fees required and be evaluated by a Civil Surgeon approved by the USCIS. This fee is seperate from the fees collected for immigration application. The applicant would also either provide proof of immunization or pay the costs to be immunized.

I don't find anything funny about the idea at all. But of course, I never laugh at anyone who honestly and sincerely tries to find a solution to a problem instead of bitching and complaining about it. I find intelligent discourse and mutual respect for ideas and opinions to be far more constructive than just trying to tear each other apart like ravaging beasts.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:40 PM

254 posts, read 521,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
The way things are done at USCIS needs to be overhauled. I believe that we need to keep or decrease current quota levels. But, I also believe that many GOOD potential immigrants are finding the financial requirements hurdle to be very difficult to overcome. We don't need a plethora of WEALTHY immigrants, we need immigrants who will work hard and benefit their community and society as a whole. I'm not saying to allow in more "dirt poor" imigrants who will never be able to rise above their current condition no matter where they lived. Just make it fairer to those who CAN improve their lives without being a drain on the system. However, we also need to encourage the immigration of those who would form new businesses, and therefore bring more employment opportunities for Americans.

Also, the USCIS needs to stop changing their fees and requirements on such a regular basis. Immigrating legally is already hard enough without finding that once you THINK you FINALLY have everything together the USCIS suddenly adds yet ANOTHER form or fee.

I couldn't agree to that. There would be too many who, although they haven't committed a felony, are not a benefit to our society if they are draining the system through welfare and benefits. I also wouldn't be adverse to shipping a large portion of our "white trash" denizens to another country. We already have enough able-bodied and lazy Americans using other people's tax dollars to support them.
Agree completely, quotas need to be adjusted according to the worker need of the US. The current system is unfair and has promoted this underground workforce filled by the illegal immigrants, finally it just hurts the lower class immigrants as well as lower class Americans

Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,165,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post

Now who is grasping at straws? We cannot deport American citizens. Someone here posted a link to a site denoting that Hispanics are the biggest users of welfare percentage wise, not white people.

I thought that you would understand without me saying it that not only would they have to be felony free but a benefit to our society (part of that would have to be that no American could fill the job they have taken either). My "what ifs" would include that also. I notice there are no pro-illegal takers in here willing to go along with my solution of keeping equal numbers of diverse groups that can meet the above criteria.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,389,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
This kid HAS been educated. The question isn't about amending the constitution. This hypothetical was about a kid who was educated in our system, right or wrong, it is dumb at that point to give him the boot. He's more American at that point that "foreign" he came here when he was two and was educated in our schools. He can be help to the economy because he is young and energetic much more capable of learning new skills that provide value to businesses in a modern rapidly-changing economic landscape than some 50yr old ex-auto worker who only knows how to bolt doors onto Chevy Malibu's and refuses to learn another language.
A GED or high school education isn't much of an education in today's world. About eighty percent of all Americans have one. It's not unfair to ask the kid to leave. Otherwise you're setting up a principle in which all you have to do to get American citizenship is send your kid here and enroll him in the local school system. I realize you probably don't have kids so you don't care about overcrowded schools but many Americans feel otherwise.

Young also means he's more likely to father kids of his own. Illegals are factually known to have much higher birth rates than natives, thus increasing school crowding even further.

I really despise how you take the opportunity at every turn to praise a foreign national for merely doing what eighty percent of all Americans do while openly insulting the 50 year old hard working auto worker because he speaks English in an English speaking community.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration