U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,180 posts, read 8,960,743 times
Reputation: 2965
Does any of this sound familiar?


TITLE I -- CONTROL OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
PART A -- EMPLOYMENT

Sec. 101. Control of unlawful employment of aliens.

Sec. 102. Unfair immigration-related employment practices.

Sec. 103. Fraud and misuse of certain immigration-related documents.

PART B -- IMPROVEMENT OF ENFORCEMENT AND SERVICES

Sec. 111. Authorization of appropriations for enforcement and service activities of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

Sec. 112. Unlawful transportation of aliens to the United States.

Sec. 113. Immigration emergency fund.

Sec. 114. Liability of owners and operators of international bridges and toll roads to prevent the unauthorized landing of aliens.

Sec. 115. Enforcement of the immigration laws of the United States.

Sec. 116. Restricting warrantless entry in the case of outdoor agricultural operations.

Sec. 117. Restrictions on adjustment of status.

PART C -- VERIFICATION OF STATUS UNDER CERTAIN PROGRAMS

Sec. 121. Verification of immigration status of aliens applying for benefits under certain programs.

TITLE II -- LEGALIZATION

Sec. 201. Legalization of status.

Sec. 302. Permanent residence for certain special agricultural workers.

Sec. 303. Determinations of agricultural labor shortages and admission of additional special agricultural workers.

TITLE IV -- REPORTS TO CONGRESS

Sec. 401. Triennial comprehensive report on immigration.

Sec. 402. Reports on unauthorized alien employment.

Sec. 403. Reports on H-2A program.

TITLE VII -- FEDERAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR DEPORTABLE AND EXCLUDABLE ALIENS CONVICTED OF CRIMES

Sec. 701. Expeditious deportation of convicted aliens.

Sec. 702. Identification of facilities to incarcerate deportable or excludable aliens.

TITLE I -- CONTROL OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

PART A -- EMPLOYMENT
SEC. 101. CONTROL OF UNLAWFUL EMPLOYMENT OF ALIENS.

(a) IN GENERAL --

(1) NEW PROVISION. -- Chapter 8 of title II is amended by inserting after section 274 (8 U.S.C. 1324) the following new section:

"UNLAWFUL EMPLOYMENT OF ALIENS

"SEC. 274A. (a) "8 USC 1324a" MAKING EMPLOYMENT OF UNAUTHORIZED ALIENS UNLAWFUL. --"(1)

IN GENERAL. -- It is unlawful for a person or other entity to hire, or to recruit or refer for a fee, for employment in the United States --

"(A) an alien knowing the alien is an unauthorized alien (as defined in subsection (h)(3)) with respect to such employment, or

"(B) an individual without complying with the requirements of subsection (b).

"(2) CONTINUING EMPLOYMENT. -- It is unlawful for a person or other entity, after hiring an alien for employment in accordance with paragraph (1), to continue to employ the alien in the United States knowing the alien is (or has become) an unauthorized alien with respect to such employment.

"(4) USE OF LABOR THROUGH CONTRACT. -- For purposes of this section, a person or other entity who uses a contract, subcontract, or exchange, entered into, renegotiated, or extended after the date of the enactment of this section, to obtain the labor of an alien in the United States knowing that the alien is an unauthorized alien (as defined in subsection (h)(3)) with respect to performing such labor, shall be considered to have hired the alien for employment in the United States in violation of paragraph (1)(A)."(5)

"(b) EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION SYSTEM. -- The requirements referred to in paragraphs (1)(B) and (3) of subsection (a) are, in the case of a person or other entity hiring, recruiting, or referring an individual for employment in the United States, the requirements specified in the following three paragraphs:

"(1) ATTESTATION AFTER EXAMINATION OF DOCUMENTATION. --

"(A) IN GENERAL. -- [b]The person or entity must attest, under penalty of perjury and on a form designated or established by the Attorney General by regulation, that it has verified that the individual is not an unauthorized alien "(iii) other documentation evidencing authorization of employment in the United States which the Attorney General finds, by regulation, to be acceptable for purposes of this section.

"(B) IMPROVEMENTS TO ESTABLISH SECURE SYSTEM. -- To the extent that the system established under subsection (b) is found not to be a secure system to determine employment eligibility in the United States, the President shall, subject to paragraph (3) and taking into account the results of any demonstration projects conducted under paragraph (4), implement such changes in (including additions to) the requirements of subsection (b) as may be necessary to establish a secure system to determine employment eligibility in the United States. Such changes in the system may be implemented only if the changes conform to the requirements of paragraph (2).

"(A) RELIABLE DETERMINATION OF IDENTITY. -- The system must be capable of reliably determining whether --

"(i) a person with the identity claimed by an employee or prospective employee is eligible to work, and

"(ii) the employee or prospective employee is claiming the identity of another individual.

SEC. 115. ENFORCEMENT OF THE IMMIGRATION LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES.

It is the sense of the Congress that --

(1) the immigration laws of the United States should be enforced vigorously and uniformly, and

"(1)(A) The State shall require, as a condition of an individual's eligibility for benefits under any program listed in subsection (b), a declaration in writing by the individual (or, in the case of an individual who is a child, by another on the individual's behalf), under penalty of perjury, stating whether or not the individual is a citizen or national of the United States, and, if that individual is not a citizen or national of the United States, that the individual is in a satisfactory immigration status.

Immigration Reform & Control Act of 1986 (http://oig.lsc.gov/legis/irca86.htm - broken link)





And last, but not least. . . . THIS WILL BE THE FINAL AMNESTY. Been there, done that.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 07-15-2011, 01:04 AM
 
Location: In this horrid OBOMINATION
321 posts, read 146,983 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No criteria as I do not support amnesty for illegals in any way, shape, or form. Sorry.


FFS- get in line.

Mexicans are not exempt from waiting in line IMO.

Our economy is about to collapse anyway so it really isnt going to matter
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:10 AM
 
45,360 posts, read 29,576,876 times
Reputation: 19780
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabluesrq View Post


FFS- get in line.

Mexicans are not exempt from waiting in line IMO.

Our economy is about to collapse anyway so it really isnt going to matter
ALL people should follow the legal process. No group should see itself as above the law for whatever reason. Even with the terrible economy, there are number of people who want to come to this country, so the process has to be orderly and fair.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 07:19 AM
 
403 posts, read 114,690 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Globalization is not a new phenomenon. Itís been a reality for many years. However, the current Spanish language job requirements in this country arenít related to globalization. They are the result of massive illegal immigration from Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries.

So, tell me why a U.S. corporation, located in the U.S., serving U.S. citizens, would require an applicant for a management position, who will have no dealings with foreign nations, to be fluent in Spanish, if not, to communicate with their Spanish-speaking illegal alien workforce.
1. Your first paragraph is very funny. Here is the definition of 'globalization' from Wiki:
Globalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Globalization refers to the increasing unification of the world's economic order through reduction of such barriers to international trade as tariffs, export fees, and import quotas. The goal is to increase material wealth, goods, and services through an international division of labor by efficiencies catalyzed by international relations, specialization and competition. It describes the process by which regional economies, societies, and cultures have become integrated through communication, transportation, and trade. The term is most closely associated with the term economic globalization: the integration of national economies into the international economy through trade, foreign direct investment, capital flows, migration, the spread of technology, and military presence.
That massive migration of people's that speak Spanish IS a direct consequence of globalization. That paragraph basically reads: Spanish language requirements for jobs aren't related to Globalization. They are instead related to... globalization. It's like some kind of self-defeating tautologous statement.

Wrt you second paragraph, do you not understand that there are people here legally (ZOMG I mentioned legal immigrants OFF-TOPIC!!!) who prefer to speak in their primary language. It's an obvious advantage for a company to be able to communicate to potential customers AND potential employees in whatever language they prefer. It's going to make their company more attractive to a broader spectrum of customers as well as employees.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:09 AM
 
3,496 posts, read 991,548 times
Reputation: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Remember, this is a hypothetical, the kid in question is 17. A GED is all that should be expected of him at that point in time.
A GED is a very low expectation.

Quote:
He is bright and did reasonably well in school (these people do actually exist, you know) it's not that it would just be unfair to him
The purpose of our immigration laws is not to be as fair as possible to foreign nationals. The purpose of our immigration laws is to be fair to American citizens. No nation believes otherwise about their laws.

Quote:
, it would be a stupid financial decision on our part to have invested so much money in educating a kid and then giving him the boot when the education is so close to beginning to pay off.
A GED will get you absolutely nowhere in the workforce. The more people get the message that Americans are not going to educate their kids and then grant them citizenship the better off most Americans will be.

Quote:
The fathering a kid bit is ridiculous, just because they may be statistically more likely to doesn't mean they all do.
So statistics don't really matter when it comes to hypothetical situations? What exactly does matter then? He is more likely to drop out of high school and father children. That's just a fact however you dislike it.

Quote:
You are being intentionally obtuse and arguing in bad faith putting up ironious arguments just to hamper/obfuscate the discussion. Let's say this person hadn't fathered a kid, as unlikely as that may seem to you, let's say there's only one kid in the entire country that fits this description, would you agree that we should allow this kid to stay because he is likely to go on to college or, at least get a job that wil be decent paying?
I'm arguing in bad faith? Your only arugment is a) it would be unfair to deport an illegal alien because we were kind enough to educate him and b) a kid with a GED is going to solve our economic problems.

If it's just one kid? No. He should not be allowed to stay. Why should one person get to break our immigration laws? What other laws does he get to break?

Quote:
My first two years of Highschool I was at a school that was around 66% over capacity, I know what crowded schools are like. They aren't as bad as people make them seem. You can certainly still get a decent education if you're motivated enough.


So Americans should settle for overcrowded schools so as to be "fair" to illegal immigrants. Because our kids might -- just might -- be able to get an education anyway.



Quote:
Being able/ willing to speak multie languages is at the very least a very admirable thing, more importantly its an increasingly valuable skill in a global economy.
Agreed. So do you think that ALL illegals should be required to demonstrate that they speak more than one language? Or does that contempt just apply to Americans who don't know Spanish?

Quote:
I would certainly respect that person more than a person who REFUSES to learn a new language in order to stay competitive in the job market and instead tries to secure their job by artificially limiting the job market through cohersion.
So you don't respect most illegals then? Because most of them do not speak anything but Spanish.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:31 AM
 
951 posts, read 242,785 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
So you don't respect most illegals then? Because most of them do not speak anything but Spanish.
So because they don't currently speak English they must be refusing to learn English altogether? lol

I'm not sure they can just study English all day since they work like 12-15 hour days.

This reminds me, Malamute sure shied away from our offer of a wager regarding his claim that he could become fluent in a language in just a few months when he realized he had to back the bet with his own money. Perhaps you would like to take this bet?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM
 
403 posts, read 114,690 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
A GED is a very low expectation.

The kid was 17 in the hypothetical. This statement has no relevance to what was being discussed.

The purpose of our immigration laws is not to be as fair as possible to foreign nationals. The purpose of our immigration laws is to be fair to American citizens. No nation believes otherwise about their laws.

Allowing this kid a reasonable path to citizenship is not being unfair to any Americans.

A GED will get you absolutely nowhere in the workforce. The more people get the message that Americans are not going to educate their kids and then grant them citizenship the better off most Americans will be.

Where did I say that a GED would get you anywhere, this kid did well in school we are to assume he's going to college. He is a kid with good potential.

So statistics don't really matter when it comes to hypothetical situations? What exactly does matter then? He is more likely to drop out of high school and father children. That's just a fact however you dislike it.

Do you understand what a hypothetical is?


I'm arguing in bad faith? Your only arugment is a) it would be unfair to deport an illegal alien because we were kind enough to educate him and b) a kid with a GED is going to solve our economic problems.

Thanks for the confirmation.

If it's just one kid? No. He should not be allowed to stay. Why should one person get to break our immigration laws? What other laws does he get to break?

Because he will benefit our society and we have invested a bunch of money in his education.



So Americans should settle for overcrowded schools so as to be "fair" to illegal immigrants. Because our kids might -- just might -- be able to get an education anyway.

No, your argument about overcrowded schools is overblown. Its just another shallow justification for your stupid position.





Agreed. So do you think that ALL illegals should be required to demonstrate that they speak more than one language? Or does that contempt just apply to Americans who don't know Spanish?

Where did I say I had contempt for Americans solely because they spoke one language?

So you don't respect most illegals then? Because most of them do not speak anything but Spanish.

This was a relative comparison between two hypothetical individuals.
.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
 
3,496 posts, read 991,548 times
Reputation: 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So because they don't currently speak English they must be refusing to learn English altogether? lol
So all that planning to come here and they couldn't spend any time at all learning English before they get here?

Quote:
I'm not sure they can just study English all day since they work like 12-15 hour days.
Oh they do not. Talk about stereotyping! The hotel maid and the guy installing drywall work an eight hour day. That leaves plenty of time to learn English. Why are you making excuses for illegals that you would never make for natives? Do you really think Americans don't work hard? Because studies show that Americans work longer hours and have fewer days off than workers in nearly every other industrialized nation.

Quote:
This reminds me, Malamute sure shied away from our offer of a wager regarding his claim that he could become fluent in a language in just a few months when he realized he had to back the bet with his own money. Perhaps you would like to take this bet?
Sure. Because I would love to spend my spare time learning Spanish just to make life in America easier for low skilled workers from Latin America! Hey all Americans should do that! Because I distinctly recall that people all learned Hungarian, Polish and Yiddish when my own relatives showed up!



It is not my responsibility to cater to the needs of foreign nationals.

FYI, I did study Spanish in depth for several months when I went to a Spanish speaking nation for three weeks. The language is very beautiful and far easier to learn than French or Hebrew. But it should not be forced on Americans to aid monolingual illegals.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,771 posts, read 2,103,430 times
Reputation: 5086
Although your criteria is probably much better than our Political Traders would like to shove down our throats, I can' get with it!

You're still rewarding them for jumping the fence and cutting in line. Why should immigrants world wide have to take a back seat and be penalized for doing it the right way?

At the deli counter I take a number like everyone else. Cut in line you get smacked in the face and sent to the end of the line. Period!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:48 AM
 
951 posts, read 242,785 times
Reputation: 89
So who's refusing to learn other languages? You are. You remind me of old people that refused to learn computer languages and now suffer.

You have yet to provide information backing up your claim that they are flat out refusing to learn English.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top