U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,362,724 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know that many are completely against any sort of amnesty for those who have entered our country illegally. I also strongly held this stance until recently, but have now reconsidered that stance to one which is a bit more willing to allow at least SOME to be given amnesty.

IF amnesty were to be offered, what criteria would you want to see met before it was granted?

For me, I would want these issues considered...

1. Has the applicant been a benefit to their community and neighborhood, instead of a detriment. Example...they take pride in where they live and strive to maintain a nice, healthy living environment which helps to improve instead of drop property values.

2. They have integrated with American society to a degree which enables and encourages communication with others outside of their ethnic background.

3. They have learned the basics of the American English language, maybe not fluently, but enough to communicate.

4. They have supported themselves and their family without the aid of welfare or any other benefits.

5. They have no criminal background, other than the fact that they entered the country illegally.

6. They do not have any infectious disease which could have an impact on Americans.

7. They are mentally and physically healthy enough to work for a living instead of resorting to welfare or benefits.

8. They are willing to pay the usual immigration fees, as well as a fine for entering illegally.

9. They have no gang affiliations, nor any ties to terrorists groups or political groups which seek to overthrow the American government.

10. They are not involved in any way with the trafficking of drugs.

These are just the main issues I would want to be considered if amnesty were to be offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Okay, I know that many are completely against any sort of amnesty for those who have entered our country illegally. I also strongly held this stance until recently, but have now reconsidered that stance to one which is a bit more willing to allow at least SOME to be given amnesty.

IF amnesty were to be offered, what criteria would you want to see met before it was granted?

For me, I would want these issues considered...

1. Has the applicant been a benefit to their community and neighborhood, instead of a detriment. Example...they take pride in where they live and strive to maintain a nice, healthy living environment which helps to improve instead of drop property values.

2. They have integrated with American society to a degree which enables and encourages communication with others outside of their ethnic background.

3. They have learned the basics of the American English language, maybe not fluently, but enough to communicate.

4. They have supported themselves and their family without the aid of welfare or any other benefits.

5. They have no criminal background, other than the fact that they entered the country illegally.

6. They do not have any infectious disease which could have an impact on Americans.

7. They are mentally and physically healthy enough to work for a living instead of resorting to welfare or benefits.

8. They are willing to pay the usual immigration fees, as well as a fine for entering illegally.

9. They have no gang affiliations, nor any ties to terrorists groups or political groups which seek to overthrow the American government.

10. They are not involved in any way with the trafficking of drugs.

These are just the main issues I would want to be considered if amnesty were to be offered.
Excellent topic Cyanna, I look forward to some good dialog on the thread...

I still am not allowed to rep you so soon...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:47 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
No criteria as I do not support amnesty for illegals in any way, shape, or form. Sorry.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Agree to vote for the Dems and work for very low wages to earn support huge profits for employers.

At least that answer is honest. The Dems want voters and the Reps want cheap labor. Neither party cares about much else. Amnesty is the worst possible thing we could do. All that you'll get are more low skilled criminals hoping the pols will give into their demands.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Excellent topic Cyanna, I look forward to some good dialog on the thread...

I still am not allowed to rep you so soon...
Thanks

Old 07-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No criteria as I do not support amnesty for illegals in any way, shape, or form. Sorry.
Okay, thats fair enough. But, even if you don't support it, what would you, as an American citizen, want the immigration department to include in its guidelines IF we were forced to deal with amnesty being enacted as an option?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,541,451 times
what criteria should be met?

how about this, if you are in the USA illegally, then you go back to the country from which you came and apply like all the legal immigrants did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Agree to vote for the Dems and work for very low wages to earn support huge profits for employers.

At least that answer is honest. The Dems want voters and the Reps want cheap labor. Neither party cares about much else. Amnesty is the worst possible thing we could do. All that you'll get are more low skilled criminals hoping the pols will give into their demands.
LOL! Yes, at least it is an honest answer

So, two of your criteria choices would be...

1. Must have higher skills

2. No criminal history

15,924 posts, read 16,853,526 times
And just what does amnesty say to the many thousands of immigrants who go through official channels to become American citizens?

That it's OK to flaunt American laws and the Americans will just turn the other cheek perhaps?

Amnesty was done before and where is America now? Back in the same situation...

Identifying, capturing and deporting all illegal aliens and securing our borders by whatever means necessary is the ONLY solution....

NO amnesty, PERIOD.

3,493 posts, read 2,385,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Okay, thats fair enough. But, even if you don't support it, what would you, as an American citizen, want the immigration department to include in its guidelines IF we were forced to deal with amnesty being enacted as an option?
I want the immigration department to enforce existing laws on immigration. Like most Americans that's what I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration