U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

OK, so your other concern is American jobs. Easy. We just allow highly educated/skilled immigrants over in a given ratio proportionate to the amount of low skilled workers. Highly educated/wealthier immigrants are much more likely than Americans to start up companies, so new jobs will become available at a higher rate, even as laborers buy in.

 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Reputation: 66975
No. They should prove they have a skill that will benefit us as a society (like everyone else has to).

They have to prove they want to be productive and contributing members to society.

And they should learn some effin' English.
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. They should prove they have a skill that will benefit us as a society (like everyone else has to).
Literally no one else has to do this. Who could possibly think that everyone has to do this?
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,241,231 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Literally no one else has to do this. Who could possibly think that everyone has to do this?
Sure they do. Legal immigrants have to prove that they will contribute to our country.

Why should criminals be given special treatment?
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
 
403 posts, read 280,669 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
See, I give you guys a lot of credit.

I pretend that your reasoning operates like this:

1. Illegal immigration is expensive
2. Therefore I do not support it

When in reality it operates like this:

1. I do not support illegal immigration
2. Therefore I think it's expensive
You Hit the nail on the head with this.
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Texas
42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Reputation: 66975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Literally no one else has to do this. Who could possibly think that everyone has to do this?
What the hell are you talking about?
All my relatives immigrated to this country and had to prove all this crap.
They had to have work or school sponsors, they had to have jobs lined up already...and they sure as hell passed the citizenship test in ENGLISH.

I have DOZENS of relatives that came from Asia who had to jump through unending loops of bureaucracy to get to live here...

And then Jose Schmo just crosses the border, picks up his food stamp and medicaid card, and does whatever the EF he wants.
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,847,914 times
Reputation: 7619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
See, I give you guys a lot of credit.

I pretend that your reasoning operates like this:

1. Illegal immigration is expensive
2. Therefore I do not support it

When in reality it operates like this:

1. I do not support illegal immigration
2. Therefore I think it's expensive
Excellent perception.....

Except use the word exorbitant instead of expensive...

and use the phrase illegal alien invader instead of illegal immigrant....

 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:57 PM
 
2,113 posts, read 2,241,231 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What the hell are you talking about?
All my relatives immigrated to this country and had to prove all this crap.
They had to have work or school sponsors, they had to have jobs lined up already...and they sure as hell passed the citizenship test in ENGLISH.

I have DOZENS of relatives that came from Asia who had to jump through unending loops of bureaucracy to get to live here...

And then Jose Schmo just crosses the border, picks up his food stamp and medicaid card, and does whatever the EF he wants.
Very true. Legal immigrants go through so much but we rarely read about their hardships in the media. They obey the laws and are still able to come here! Why isn't that broadcasted more instead of countless stories about poor, poor illegals who have NO CHOICE but to break our laws?
 
Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What the hell are you talking about?
All my relatives immigrated to this country and had to prove all this crap.
They had to have work or school sponsors, they had to have jobs lined up already...and they sure as hell passed the citizenship test in ENGLISH.

I have DOZENS of relatives that came from Asia who had to jump through unending loops of bureaucracy to get to live here...

And then Jose Schmo just crosses the border, picks up his food stamp and medicaid card, and does whatever the EF he wants.
Yeah my bad, I was referring to legal citizens, shouldn't have said "nobody."

See, what you said was "like everyone else" when you meant "like legal immigrants."

Anyway, this could easily be added to the criteria. Anyone coming needs to explain their willingness and ability to work, etc. etc. Problem solved.

And BTW you have reverted to your talking points re: welfare when this proposal is designed specifically to address that. Just wanted to mention that quickly, because I know the use of welfare related talking points around here is actually an involuntary reflex that one frequently cannot control.
 
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,007 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Excellent perception.....

Except use the word exorbitant instead of expensive...

and use the phrase illegal alien invader instead of illegal immigrant....
I will use that phrase if you start calling the True Americans who are unemployed because of illegal labor "lazy Americans"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top