U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,032 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
When they leave and re-enter legally they cease to be criminals.
Pretty sure everyone on your side here would disagree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No you dont have proof.
You show proof of who is caught. nothing more.
Obviously they are just getting caught less because they are super sneaky.

 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 PM
 
17,286 posts, read 25,015,617 times
Reputation: 8527
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
So you are going to continue on with this horrible comparison? lol
"lol"? It's only "lol" because you fail to have a satisfactory way to weasel-word your way out of the analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses
Do you have a right to tell me who I allow in my house? Do you have a right to tell me who I can and can't invite into my yard? Do you have a right to tell me who I rent to?
You can do whatever you want in YOUR personal house, within reason. However, as I have an equal share in the "house" that is the United States, you do NOT get to circumvent the laws that we have all agreed to live by and through our representatives. We have agreed to allow people that meet certain criteria live among us permanently, and you sneaking people in, or making lame@ss excuses for people who do sneak in are violating MY rights, not the other way around.

Because no, you do not have absolute freedom of use of your personal property or house. You want to buy slaves from Sudan and have them work and live in your personal property? You think your "rights" are somehow being abridged when you are told you can't do that? You want to rent your house to fifteen people in a single family neighborhood? You want to cry that the law says you can't? You want to invite your family from the old country to live with you in your house? Sorry, they have to go through the proper channels.

I only reluctantly share this country (Our collective "house") with people like you - people who apparently believe it is the duty of Americans to welcome third world poverty in a modern world where we are struggling to maintain social services and a particular standard of living for Americans and our LEGAL immigrants.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 PM
 
951 posts, read 617,593 times
Reputation: 89
wat? So are you going to actually provide proof of your bogus claims that they will continue to commit crimes or just hand wave the whole issue away because you got called on it?
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,530,661 times
Reputation: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The personal pressure some people on this board feel out of ethnic guilt/solidarity/identification can short circuit both critical thinking skills, and cause them to lose site of what is best "for THIS country" vs. what is best for the people from the "old country."


There's one for "huddledmasses" (cute moniker, by the way, emanating as it does from "give me your huddled masses" which I believe was once again referring to genuine refugees rather than simply illegal aliens) to respond to as it's just rife with that implied racism he finds objectionable in ALL posts proclaiming the criminality of illegal aliens.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM
 
17,286 posts, read 25,015,617 times
Reputation: 8527
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Well they wouldn't be illegal if we gave them easier options to come here which is my point all along. In other words, if I had my way they would be legal. You have no right to tell me what I do on my property.
May I suggest a remedial course in "Property and Land Use Law, 101"?

Might have to drop next semester's "Social Justice Studies Seminar" to take it, but it would probably be a more practical experience for you.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM
 
148 posts, read 66,792 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The personal pressure some people on this board feel out of ethnic guilt/solidarity/identification can short circuit both critical thinking skills, and cause them to lose site of what is best "for THIS country" vs. what is best for the people from the "old country."
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalReasoning View Post
Ohhh elaborate please. What ethnic guilt? what old country?
Bump for the inquisitive.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 PM
 
951 posts, read 617,593 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post


You can do whatever you want in YOUR personal house, within reason. However, as I have an equal share in the "house" that is the United States, you do NOT get to circumvent the laws that we have all agreed to live by and through our representatives. We have agreed to allow people that meet certain criteria live among us permanently, and you sneaking people in, or making lame@ss excuses for people who do sneak in are violating MY rights, not the other way around.
What rights of yours are being violated?

Quote:
Because no, you do not have absolute freedom of use of your personal property or house. You want to buy slaves from Sudan and have them work and live in your personal property? You think your "rights" are somehow being abridged when you are told you can't do that? You want to rent your house to fifteen people in a single family neighborhood? You want to cry that the law says you can't? You want to invite your family from the old country to live with you in your house? Sorry, they have to go through the proper channels.
coolstorybro - I suppose I can't set up crack dens, prostitution houses, etc. either but I'm not talking slaves. I'm talking about renting to people here to work. BTW, I'm German/Norwegian/Swedish so your undertones about me being only for wanting to change things because I am hispanic or something are bordering on paranoia.

Quote:
I only reluctantly share this country (Our collective "house") with people like you - people who apparently believe it is the duty of Americans to welcome third world poverty in a modern world where we are struggling to maintain social services and a particular standard of living for Americans and our LEGAL immigrants.
Yeah well at one time we welcomed the poverty stricken here as a gesture of what America is supposed to stand for. Did they ruin America?
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Well they wouldn't be illegal if we gave them easier options to come here which is my point all along. In other words, if I had my way they would be legal. You have no right to tell me what I do on my property.
This is a strawman of all strawman arguments. It can be used for every single crime committed.
Speeding wouldn't be illegal if we didnt have speed limits.
More people would die as a result of course but at least no laws would be broken.
As for right to tell you what you do on your property.
strawman argument again.
We are told by just about every level of gov what we can and cant do on our property. Starting with zoning laws.
For example on my property I am not allowed more than 1 unlicensed vehicle to be parked on it.
I can not put a trailor or mobile home on my property.
I cannot build an shed or garage without a permit.
I can not have a party outside after 11 pm.
I must mow my lawn
I must keep my property in good repair
I am not allowed to harbor fugitives
There is nothing but regulations about what I can and cant do on my property
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:36 PM
 
17,286 posts, read 25,015,617 times
Reputation: 8527
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalReasoning View Post
Ohhh elaborate please. What ethnic guilt? what old country? Or is one of those wink wink things?
Wink wink?

How can it be any more explicit? Do you need me to draw you a picture?

The most vocal supporters of illegal immigration are those who share common ethnic bonds with populations over-represented in illegal immigration.

My father is an immigrant. However, there is very little illegal immigration with people from his country. I am therefore free of ethnic guilt to make excuses for what is obviously detrimental to the United States because I'm afraid of being called a Tio Tomas, Banana, or sell-out to my people.
 
Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Pretty sure everyone on your side here would disagree with this.



Obviously they are just getting caught less because they are super sneaky.
All these people caught were illegals that were given a path to citizenship?
You have proved nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top