U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,941,319 times
Reputation: 22174

Advertisements

U.S. Consulate in Juárez warns Americans in Chihuahua state of possible drug cartel attacks - El Paso Times

Yet still the border remains wide open. Well - not wide open but still very easy to dig under, climb over, cut holes to walk through, walk alongside when the agents aren't looking and of course come over with "borrowed" or rented laser visas crossing cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,941,319 times
Reputation: 22174
There is some evidence the border authorities are taking this threat seriously.

I can't find any sources for this in English -- but this one is really kind of funny:

Cierran puente Zaragoza 3 horas; detienen a mujer | Local | Diario.com.mx

Una bomba de agua que dejó una mujer dentro de su auto averiado a unos metros de las garitas del Custom and Border Protection (CBP) del puente Zaragoza, ocasionó el cierre del cruce internacional por tres horas, al sospechar las autoridades norteamericanas que se trababa de un acto terrorista.

They closed the port of entry at Zaragoza for 3 hours because they suspected a car bomb. As always, they tend not to reveal any information, they don't want to give any "illusion" that El Paso is anything less than the safest place to be, but it they detained a woman for questioning.

It turned out this woman had a water pump in her car and then the car overheated as she was driving through customs so they shut down the bridge until the SWAT bomb squad showed up to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,421,506 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is some evidence the border authorities are taking this threat seriously.

I can't find any sources for this in English -- but this one is really kind of funny:

Cierran puente Zaragoza 3 horas; detienen a mujer | Local | Diario.com.mx

Una bomba de agua que dejó una mujer dentro de su auto averiado a unos metros de las garitas del Custom and Border Protection (CBP) del puente Zaragoza, ocasionó el cierre del cruce internacional por tres horas, al sospechar las autoridades norteamericanas que se trababa de un acto terrorista.

They closed the port of entry at Zaragoza for 3 hours because they suspected a car bomb. As always, they tend not to reveal any information, they don't want to give any "illusion" that El Paso is anything less than the safest place to be, but it they detained a woman for questioning.

It turned out this woman had a water pump in her car and then the car overheated as she was driving through customs so they shut down the bridge until the SWAT bomb squad showed up to check it out.
This is really funny...

Though I don't understand why we should close the ports of entry if that is what you are suggesting. The car overheated, they thought it was a bomb and the authorities did their job by checking it out. GOOD!

Lets not pretend that if we see an abnormal situation at an airport, we should close down the airport for ever. I mean, they should check things out for the safety of the people and continue with business as usual as soon as its cleared.

I don't know how this is related to illegal immigration. It happened at a legal port of entry and the owner of the car was a U.S. citizen.

Quote:
Aunque al cierre de esta edición no se había emitido información oficial al respecto, familiares de la automovilista, que es ciudadana norteamericana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 06:39 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,941,319 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
This is really funny...

Though I don't understand why we should close the ports of entry if that is what you are suggesting. The car overheated, they thought it was a bomb and the authorities did their job by checking it out. GOOD!

Lets not pretend that if we see an abnormal situation at an airport, we should close down the airport for ever. I mean, they should check things out for the safety of the people and continue with business as usual as soon as its cleared.

I don't know how this is related to illegal immigration. It happened at a legal port of entry and the owner of the car was a U.S. citizen.
They closed this border for three hours until the SWAT team determined there wasn't a bomb.

But they aren't doing much special even with this apparent cartel threat against Americans, even a threat to the border ports. I don't know what would happen if the cartels carried out whatever threat they've made, but I would imagine not much would be done even if innocent Americans are killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 02:59 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,421,506 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They closed this border for three hours until the SWAT team determined there wasn't a bomb.
Good, that is what SWAT teams are for.

Quote:
But they aren't doing much special even with this apparent cartel threat against Americans, even a threat to the border ports. I don't know what would happen if the cartels carried out whatever threat they've made, but I would imagine not much would be done even if innocent Americans are killed.
I find it interesting that in the Mexican forum, you say that all Mexicans that died due to the drug war are criminals. Yet, if the cartel comes to the U.S., its because they will kill innocent Americans. You don't think they will use the same tactics they have been using in Mexico? You don't think they will target American drug dealers? Who do you think they are selling their dope to? Do you see how biased you are?

Here is your quote:

Quote:
Yes, I think there were a few completely innocent bystanders but even many of the so-called innocent were there at parties of drug cartel members or family members of drug cartel members. Most of those killed were killed by their own cartel or the opposing cartel or because they are street thugs involved in gang battles.

I don't feel the least bit sad when some carjacker meets his Maker, or some kidnapper meets an untimely death. The street thugs are out there killing each other and that's not all bad. In the end it's all going to work out.
Calderon defends anti-drug policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,941,319 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Good, that is what SWAT teams are for.



I find it interesting that in the Mexican forum, you say that all Mexicans that died due to the drug war are criminals. Yet, if the cartel comes to the U.S., its because they will kill innocent Americans. You don't think they will use the same tactics they have been using in Mexico? You don't think they will target American drug dealers? Who do you think they are selling their dope to? Do you see how biased you are?

Here is your quote:



Calderon defends anti-drug policy
I actually don't believe they will kill innocent Americans. I'm not sure why (or even if) they've actually made such a threat. This is just something the news is claiming and I posted it, I don't know of any one even here in this border town that is now afraid of this happening.

If the cartels wished to kill innocent Americans, they certainly could very easily do that but why would they waste their bullets doing that? If they attack the US Consulate, that's not the same thing as picking off innocent American citizens inside the USA. The US Consulate in Juarez is not exactly the cleanest consulate you could hope to find, they've been involved with selling visas to cartel members for years, they've been caught doing just that in the past a number of times.

I think if anything they could do a car bombing like the have done in Juarez - but that is also quite a rare thing.

The reason I don't go to Juarez now isn't because of the cartels, I seriously don't believe that a cartel would be after me, it's the street criminals I would worry about, the more random acts of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,941,319 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You don't think they will target American drug dealers? Who do you think they are selling their dope to?
I think they would target independent American drug dealers, those who compete against them, in fact I'm very sure they would do that. That's what the cartel wars are all about in Mexico.

Who are they selling their dope to? Well not just Americans obviously. Check out this poll:

Diario.com.mx: Edición Cd. Juárez, Chihuahua

¿Cree usted que la guerra contra el narcotráfico haya abatido el consumo de drogas en Ciudad Juárez?

88% answered "no". Many of the street thugs in Juarez are drug addicts. They are committing crimes for money to buy themselves more drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Tempe, Az
1,421 posts, read 1,241,964 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I actually don't believe they will kill innocent Americans. I'm not sure why (or even if) they've actually made such a threat. This is just something the news is claiming and I posted it, I don't know of any one even here in this border town that is now afraid of this happening.

If the cartels wished to kill innocent Americans, they certainly could very easily do that but why would they waste their bullets doing that? If they attack the US Consulate, that's not the same thing as picking off innocent American citizens inside the USA. The US Consulate in Juarez is not exactly the cleanest consulate you could hope to find, they've been involved with selling visas to cartel members for years, they've been caught doing just that in the past a number of times.

I think if anything they could do a car bombing like the have done in Juarez - but that is also quite a rare thing.

The reason I don't go to Juarez now isn't because of the cartels, I seriously don't believe that a cartel would be after me, it's the street criminals I would worry about, the more random acts of crime.
Bad business, real bad business if the drug cartels start killin inocent Americans. The last thing the cartels want is more heat on em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,421,506 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I actually don't believe they will kill innocent Americans. I'm not sure why (or even if) they've actually made such a threat. This is just something the news is claiming and I posted it, I don't know of any one even here in this border town that is now afraid of this happening.
Wow, you changed positions very quick. So now the news is claiming yet you "imagined". Okay...

At any rate, if it does happen, I suspect our government will do something about it just like Mexico is currently doing. I don't think the U.S. will just sit still while innocent Americans are killed with U.S. weapons from "Fast and Furious".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,624 posts, read 8,161,505 times
Reputation: 6949
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Wow, you changed positions very quick. So now the news is claiming yet you "imagined". Okay...

At any rate, if it does happen, I suspect our government will do something about it just like Mexico is currently doing. I don't think the U.S. will just sit still while innocent Americans are killed with U.S. weapons from "Fast and Furious".
Federal government would never do anything remotely close to actually fighting the cartels.

The American people however, if riled up enough, could go all the way to the Guatemalan border. Remember, the 90 million American gunowners own 260 million guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top