Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,210,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If a stranger took your car without your permission, you wouldn’t call them an “unauthorized borrower.” You would call them a car thief, because that is exactly what they are. Likewise, no one in their right mind would call a rapist a “lover” because lover implies consent, and rape is certainly not consensual sex. The same applies to non-citizens.
"Unauthorized borrower" and "lover" in those contexts are factually inaccurate. There were numerous threads where multiple people, primarily c-nut, made the argument that "illegal immigrant" was inaccurate because they are not immigrants at all. This is incorrect. I agree that we should specify illegal/legal, but those are two different discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I'd like to know what "reformation of our immigration laws" means, wouldn't you? How is giving amnesty to millions of illegal aliens, "reformation"? We already take in as many legal immigrants that we can accomodate in jobs and resources and in fact with the lack of jobs today the only "reforming" I would we would need in regards to that would be fewer immigrants until our job situation improves.
For some reason, they’re afraid to admit that CIR is just another amnesty. I guess “reformation” sounds less like a reward for lawlessness.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
"Unauthorized borrower" and "lover" in those contexts are factually inaccurate. There were numerous threads where multiple people, primarily c-nut, made the argument that "illegal immigrant" was inaccurate because they are not immigrants at all. This is incorrect. I agree that we should specify illegal/legal, but those are two different discussions.
How is it factually inaccurate? Both examples illustrate the difference between calling a spade a spade, and using euphemisms to marginalize or decriminalize illegal behavior.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Means the same exact thing, so what's the point. Not like something is goning to be done aobut this problem anytime soon? With those in power sitting at the W.H. none of us should hold our breath. Illegal this, illegal that, no matter how one cuts it, illegals means wrong!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
How about "Anchor Baby Mama's"?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I too am pro-freedom, but against any people who invade my countries borders and break my countries laws.....

BTW, what does pro-human mean?

Does it mean you are anti-insect?
It means I think all humans, regardless of where they were born, are equally important. It means I reject social structures that give special privileged to the chosen few by virtue of birth.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
It means I think all humans, regardless of where they were born, are equally important. It means I reject social structures that give special privileged to the chosen few by virtue of birth.
Fair enough.
Like you I detest snobs and arrogant people especially when they visit another country and act as if they own it. I speak specifically of my Travels to Thailand. One can learn to hate their fellow citizens by observing their arrogance in dealing with the native peoples. Insulting them in their own country????? How low class is that but they assume a position of superiority over the Thai people. LOL asses.
In regards to those who would want to enter our country and enjoy the benefits of our nation.
How arrogant is it to believe that they deserve or have a right to enter as they wish and not by invitation or with permission. How arrogant is it to believe they are above accountability?
I dont feel superior to a mexican or south american national or any other foreigner. I dont feel that I somehow have a right to life and they dont or that they have a lesser right.
I can be envious of those born to wealthy families. But I have no right to lay claim to their fortunes or assets.
I question the argument that our immigration laws are unjust simply because they deny certain people a VISA or are written to hold violators of these laws accountable.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Yeah, I too detest people who feel they are special and privileged to invade my country, abuse it's laws and dishonestly steal money from me and my country

Who are the chosen few?

~ The ones who cross a countries borders illegally?

~ The ones who steal American citizens identities?

~ The ones who take advantage of a countries generosity?

~ The ones who can't live in their own country and work to correct the injustices of their own society?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
How arrogant is it to believe that they deserve or have a right to enter as they wish and not by invitation or with permission. How arrogant is it to believe they are above accountability?
The fact that a bunch of people want to restrict their movement doesn't mean such is legitimate. Your questions here beg the question. It's arrogant to assume they need your permission. Clearly, many americans DO want to do business with these people.

If I own a business, and I extend a job offer to someone, how is that NOT an "invitation"?

Quote:
I dont feel superior to a mexican or south american national or any other foreigner. I dont feel that I somehow have a right to life and they dont or that they have a lesser right.
But you don't see a problem with telling them who they can and cannot do business with.

Quote:
I can be envious of those born to wealthy families. But I have no right to lay claim to their fortunes or assets.
I question the argument that our immigration laws are unjust simply because they deny certain people a VISA or are written to hold violators of these laws accountable.
The issue isn't about "holding violators accountable." Again, that begs the question of whether that law is just in the first place.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
The fact that a bunch of people want to restrict their movement doesn't mean such is legitimate. Your questions here beg the question. It's arrogant to assume they need your permission. Clearly, many americans DO want to do business with these people.
Last time I looked all countries have laws that restrict access.... So I guess all countries are arrogant.....

Quote:
If I own a business, and I extend a job offer to someone, how is that NOT an "invitation"?
Of course it's an invitation..... but to knowingly hire an illegal alien is ahem... breaking the law and illegal...

Quote:
But you don't see a problem with telling them who they can and cannot do business with.
The government dictates this based on the law of the land....

Quote:
The issue isn't about "holding violators accountable." Again, that begs the question of whether that law is just in the first place.
You think a law is not just? Elect someone who will change the law.

How have you contacted and worked with your elected officials to get these "unjust" laws changed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration