Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Roadside stands account for a very very small percentage of all goods that are produced.

I'm not predicting a collapse, no one can say for sure what will happen. However, there's a reason why more and more companies have been packing up shop and moving over seas and it's not because of illegal immigrants undercutting labor prices. Agriculture is somewhat insulated because of niche markets where consumers are willing to pay higher prices for stuff like locally grown organic produce, but this still represents a very small percentage of agricultural production, like <10% I believe. If 50% of ag production shifts out of the country, those support industries will not simply be able to adapt and move on. There will be a large contraction i.e. more people laid off, less taxes being collected, more people on social programs.
No its not due to illegals. Its due to a more tax friendly enviroment as well as low cost labor.
No way do we lose 50% of Our ag. Mostly because it doesnt require 50% of illegal participation. obviously some places rely on illegals more than others. Around where I live a farmer has to deal with his neighbors. If it was believed he stopped using the local kids in the summer in favor of illegals? He would have a tough row to hoe thats for sure.
The managers at Taylor beef also learned this the hard way when they were caught using illegals. They found that their neighbors dont have to always be friendly and helpful.
We as a nation will adapt and industry will adapt and the gov will adapt and make the process better rather than allow agriculture to collapse. Its no secret that the gov kisses the farmers butt. Look at the money dumped and wasted on ethanol....
My logic is simple and its been seen over and over. We adapt to challenge.
The idea of an amnesty as a solution has been tried and it has failed. A better solution is to streamline the process while enforcing the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So it can't possibly get worse in your opinion? This is the same dumb argument that was put forth in the "what if 20 million illegals left" thread. The housing market would absolutely plummet with that much demand instantly disappearing. But people think that because the market is already "down" it somehow can't go any lower?

The laws of economics suddenly stop working once prices drop?
The illegal aliens need to leave. To many Americans CANT find work.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:12 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If only that were possible. I find the supporters of illegal aliens even more despicable than the illegal aliens themselves. At least illegals aren't citizens of our country and owe us no loyalty. Citizens advocating for them however do owe this country loyalty. I hold those traitors in contempt.
Your so right.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM

148 posts, read 85,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
If only that were possible. I find the supporters of illegal aliens even more despicable than the illegal aliens themselves. At least illegals aren't citizens of our country and owe us no loyalty. Citizens advocating for them however do owe this country loyalty. I hold those traitors in contempt.
I know you won't answer, but I might as well ask what this even means.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No its not due to illegals. Its due to a more tax friendly enviroment as well as low cost labor.
No way do we lose 50% of Our ag. Mostly because it doesnt require 50% of illegal participation. obviously some places rely on illegals more than others. Around where I live a farmer has to deal with his neighbors. If it was believed he stopped using the local kids in the summer in favor of illegals? He would have a tough row to hoe thats for sure.
The managers at Taylor beef also learned this the hard way when they were caught using illegals. They found that their neighbors dont have to always be friendly and helpful.
We as a nation will adapt and industry will adapt and the gov will adapt and make the process better rather than allow agriculture to collapse. Its no secret that the gov kisses the farmers butt. Look at the money dumped and wasted on ethanol....
My logic is simple and its been seen over and over. We adapt to challenge.
The idea of an amnesty as a solution has been tried and it has failed. A better solution is to streamline the process while enforcing the law.
That is what everyone has been saying.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 AM

335 posts, read 328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Reality?

Americans are infatuated with degrees and what they have going on for themselves so can you imagine Americans working in the fields doing manual work in the heat?
And what do millions of Americans do each summer? They play and lay on the beach in the heat!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:48 AM

Because sunbathing exactly the same as working in a field under the sun.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:35 AM

321 posts, read 362,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So it can't possibly get worse in your opinion? This is the same dumb argument that was put forth in the "what if 20 million illegals left" thread. The housing market would absolutely plummet with that much demand instantly disappearing. But people think that because the market is already "down" it somehow can't go any lower?

The laws of economics suddenly stop working once prices drop?
LOLZ- those places they live would be insta demolished. Most of the places they live only devalue neighboring housing. Oh knows, what will we do without all of those mobile home parks where the brown people used to live

lolz

Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 AM

321 posts, read 362,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalReasoning View Post
I know you won't answer, but I might as well ask what this even means.
This ^^^^^

I'm gonna ask anyways

Why do you defend the illegal alien?
Is it your belief that they are not breaking the law?
Would you give your extra food to a starving illegal alien or your starving
neighbor? You can only choose one.

Is it your belief that anti illegal immigration people are simply racist because they do not want "brown people" here illegally lolz

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Roadside stands account for a very very small percentage of all goods that are produced.

I'm not predicting a collapse, no one can say for sure what will happen. However, there's a reason why more and more companies have been packing up shop and moving over seas and it's not because of illegal immigrants undercutting labor prices. Agriculture is somewhat insulated because of niche markets where consumers are willing to pay higher prices for stuff like locally grown organic produce, but this still represents a very small percentage of agricultural production, like <10% I believe. If 50% of ag production shifts out of the country, those support industries will not simply be able to adapt and move on. There will be a large contraction i.e. more people laid off, less taxes being collected, more people on social programs.
If the only people who will do farm work are illegals, then there would not be more people on social programs if the farms that hire them go out of business because the illegals aren't supposed to be on social programs.

There are only about 1 million jobs in agriculture including the fisheries. Not all farms hire only illegals, but you're not talking about all that many people out of work if these farms hiring only illegals fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration