Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I see Georgia's unemployment rate is 9.8% and Alabama's is 9.6%. Have the farmers who lost their illegal immigrant workers posted any announcements in town that they're now hiring legal American workers?

If you're unemployed would you work for a farmer picking fruits and vegetables in the fields? I would for sure. Some money is better than no money.
I've seen a fair amount of news coverage lately about farms that have been trying to get Americans for labor without success. I know it's been a big problem in California and the PNW. I think I remember reading about Georgia recently, so I'll see if I can dig it up. In the meantime, here's some reading:

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/39379807/Despite_Economy_Americans_Don_t_Want_Farm_Work - broken link)

As It Turns Out, Americans Don’t Want The Jobs Vacated By Spooked Illegal Immigrants « Sky's Universal Predications *this one talks about GA

Farm Work: Americans Steer Clear Of Apple Harvest : NPR

United Farm Workers invite Americans to 'Take Our Jobs' - Jul. 7, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:59 PM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Yes, because absence of all 3% of illegals who work in agriculture will surely double the cost of food.
If legal businesses can play by the rules and pay a decent wage so can these other businesses. 10$ an hour for this type of work is laughable. They only get away with it because they can abuse the current illegal work force.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I've seen a fair amount of news coverage lately about farms that have been trying to get Americans for labor without success. I know it's been a big problem in California and the PNW. I think I remember reading about Georgia recently, so I'll see if I can dig it up. In the meantime, here's some reading:

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/39379807/Despite_Economy_Americans_Don_t_Want_Farm_Work - broken link)

As It Turns Out, Americans Don’t Want The Jobs Vacated By Spooked Illegal Immigrants « Sky's Universal Predications *this one talks about GA

Farm Work: Americans Steer Clear Of Apple Harvest : NPR

United Farm Workers invite Americans to 'Take Our Jobs' - Jul. 7, 2010
So what? For the umpteenth time there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal foreign crop pickers. There is no excuse for hiring illegals other than pure greed for more profit.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Actually, what's going on right now in Georgia is proving you wrong. Millions are going to be lost due to crops rotting on the fields. Interesting how everyone chose to ignore my comment a few pages back.

Although they aren't sure how much has been lost, they are going to have a study to see how much farmers are actually losing. Pretty brilliant idea, isn't it? You'd think those who propose such laws like the ones in Georgia would have had studies beforehand to estimate the impact.

I'm going to say it's all about getting Mexicans out of here as fast as possible because a bunch of white people are scared of Mexican culture taking over the country. Why not? Several of you have said the only reason liberals want the illegals here is for votes on the Democrat side.

If you want to play simplistic, I'll gladly play along also.
It is the farmers fault in the first place. If they had played by the rules and brought in legal foreign crop pickers instead of breaking our laws and hiring ilegal aliens they wouldn't have found themselves in this situation. They will get none of my sympathy.

Oh just like clockwork here comes the race card. So objecting to illegal immigration is all about objecting to Mexican culture per se and has nothing to do with our laws and the negative impact that illegal immigration brings on our country? Uh, I hate to inform you of this but we have many American CITIZENS of Mexican ancestry. You were saying? I guess you think that it is only white people who object to illegal immigration also? Bye,bye! Just another one spouting the pro-illegal propaganda along with the race card in hand.

Last edited by chicagonut; 07-18-2011 at 06:35 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Millions of American's would gladly "pick cucumbers" if the opportunity was there. People are desperate right now. I've never once bought the "Because American's Wont Do It" tagline towed around by Liberals who wouldn't know a manual labor job if it fell out of the sky and hit them in the head.
Yep. Your so right. I get dirty an work with my hands an Im an AMERICAN.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That'll double the cost of food
I aint worried. Many of us are fat like me an can lose a pound or 5

Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
BILLIONS of dollars are spent in this country supporting illegal immigrants and their families, everything from education to incarceration is paid for by the US tax payers. These people are a massive burden on our social services and our country in general, that's a proven fact. The price of food would not double but if it did we would still be financially ahead based on the money we would save money in the long run because we wouldn't be supporting these leaches any more.
You'll have to prove that one

Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Whats wrong with working in the fields?
http://www.takeourjobs.org/

Old 07-18-2011, 07:12 PM

403 posts, read 334,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
So what? For the umpteenth time there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal foreign crop pickers. There is no excuse for hiring illegals other than pure greed for more profit.
The H2A program is very flawed, I've posted a link to an article highlighting the problems with it at least twice. Of course you'd know this if you didn't put everyone who disagreed with you on ignore.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
The H2A program is very flawed, I've posted a link to an article highlighting the problems with it at least twice. Of course you'd know this if you didn't put everyone who disagreed with you on ignore.
The system is flawed top to bottom. Top heavy with needless bureaucracy and slow because of so many levels of gov employees whose only apparent function is to justify their own jobs.
Redundancy at so many levels as to drive a paient man crazy.
It needs to be streamlined.
That said this does not excuse or justify those who either over stay or flat out ignore the process and enter illegally.
Nor does it excuse or justify the many employers who knowingly hire illegals.
But I for one would love to see the system improved upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration