U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM

403 posts, read 280,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
all i can say is sigh---let's hear from the farmers and those actually doing the feild work instead of arm chair whiners
I am a farmer.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
But if you buy stuff made in Mexico you're stealing from american businesses.
No but you might be buying inferior products. same with buying made in China crap.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
But if you buy stuff made in Mexico you're stealing from american businesses.
Hmm? Are you really going to take it there? Man, you are killing me with this stuff. First of all, my opinion is that it is perfectly fine for someone to legally be working here or THERE. If I want a product and it just so happens to be made in Mexico then I will purchase it and not feel as though I am stealing from American businesses. That is called fair trade and global economy. I have no issue with a country having its own businesses and me buying from them.

Now, when a Mexican goes back to Mexico and works, we, taxpayers, don't have to wonder if he or she is here soaking up all kinds of government funds at our expense. He or she is IN Mexico, no problem. It is quite the trade-off: knowing that a worker is in Mexico working and not here illegally in the United States creating over-population in an area or draining resources.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
I am a farmer.
If that is true, then it's no wonder why you feel the way you do. Don't want to lose your labor.

Last edited by SoEdible; 07-19-2011 at 10:24 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Quote:
I am a farmer.
Greedy employer*

Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 PM

148 posts, read 66,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
This has Nada to do with illegal aliens.

Im ok with buyin stuff from Mexico made by Mexicans IN Mexico. Same from South Americans in there countrys.
This has everything to do with illegal aliens. You're ok with buying a car from Mexico ( where a lot of cars are made now days) at Mexican wage rates but not ok with buying an American car made by illegal aliens at Mexican or American wage rates? You're ok with giving South Americans money instead of Americans for coffee instead of tea but not ok for an Colombian to serve you American food if he is illegal?

It would seem not to be an allegiance not to any loyalty to worker solidarity or worker rights or worker's wage but to an arbitrary "jumping though the hoops" to make a person legal or illegal irregardless to the requirements of that process to each individual country.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:58 AM

12,870 posts, read 12,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalReasoning View Post
This has everything to do with illegal aliens. You're ok with buying a car from Mexico ( where a lot of cars are made now days) at Mexican wage rates but not ok with buying an American car made by illegal aliens at Mexican or American wage rates? You're ok with giving South Americans money instead of Americans for coffee instead of tea but not ok for an Colombian to serve you American food if he is illegal?

It would seem not to be an allegiance not to any loyalty to worker solidarity or worker rights or worker's wage but to an arbitrary "jumping though the hoops" to make a person legal or illegal irregardless to the requirements of that process to each individual country.
are you okay with all americans entering mexico and demanding jobs and social services in mexico? do you think the mexican government would be okay with that?

what do you think that would do to mexico?

because we could try that, because what we have here isn't working out for america.

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-20-2011 at 03:12 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 03:03 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
I am a farmer.
Pay better wages, offer a few benefits.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 AM

Quote:
No, because, as others have pointed out, labor is only a small price of the overall cost. The issue of global food inflation has been thoroughly explored and the major causes of it have been reasonably hashed out if not fully understood. You could do a little googling to further explore these things or you could do nothing and stay in this echo chamber to further feed the illusion that you've constructed that illegal immigration is the primary source of any perceived problem in our country. The choice is yours.
Contradiction.

On one hand some of you claim that you have to have unlimited and very massive illegal labor to keep the price of food way down (actually food prices have greatly risen since 1986 when illegals began pouring over the borders).

Now you claim that labor is only a small part of the overall cost.

Those who hire illegals are not providing the whole costs of their workforce. The illegals who are not provided employer health plans or decent wages end up on Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, and even government housing subsidies. They end up costing the taxpayers which is way Medicaid costs are soaring.

This is why importing our food makes more sense. If you can't hire anyone but foreign workers, your business isn't benefitting the American people with jobs. If you provide a product more cheaply by having your farm located south of the border, it's a win-win for the American consumer. The food is cheaper and taxes don't have to skyrocket to pay for the expensive schools, expensive hospitals and all the rest required for the cheap workers.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 AM

For one they need only 11,000 workers, what were the other 414,000 doing?

It also sounds like it's not the probationers refusing to work but the farmers don't want to hire them:

AFP: US farms at risk as workers flee immigration law

Georgia labor officials estimate a shortage of some 11,000 workers in the agriculture sector, and the state has enacted a program where people on probation, who often have difficulty finding jobs, are sent into the fields.

Of the estimated 11.2 million illegal immigrants in the United States, 425,000 live in Georgia, making it the state with the seventh largest number of illegal immigrants, the Pew Hispanic Center said in a February report.

A controversial immigration law in the US state of Georgia has brought unintended results, forcing farmers to reluctantly turn to ex-convicts as Latin American manual workers flee.

Melinda James, of Osage Farms in Rabun Gap, admits the "probationers" are not her first choice for the jobs,

"We're going to have to train them -- that's a cost we're going to have to absorb," James told AFP.

"If they pass a drug test and they're drug free, we'll use them if we have to," she added

Other farmers, such as Dan King of Five Brothers Produce in Rebecca, refuse to hire people on probation despite the shortage in laborers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration