U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM

1,574 posts, read 789,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
All you're doing is trying to shut down discussion on this issue by not allowing anti-illegals to state facts. It won't work.
Not at all. Please, by all means continue spewing your hatred. I have no interest at all in stopping you. Why would I want to?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,892,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
That's not my DEFINITION of racism but wow, it's a huge red flag. I mean, let's not beat around the bush here, everyone complaining about "illegals" in this forum are really complaining about the spanish-speaking variety specifically. They explicitly mention this all the time. And yes, "spanish speaking" isn't a race, technically, but the correlation with a particular ethnic group is, shall we say, more than just a coincidence.

Yes, racists are pretty sophisticated nowadays. They don't just come right out and beat their chests about how they hate (insert ethnic slur here). But you don't have to be a PhD to pick up on it.
Everyone? I have never made a post complaining about spanish speakers.
The fact that hispanics are singled out most is because of the fact that the vast majority of illegals also happen to be hispanics.
It is not racist to acknowledge a fact nor to focus on the primary problem.
I am quite sure must have a few illegals who are from iceland. But should we focus on Iceland as a problem?
If my house has a leaky roof, a cracked window, a major gas leak and 1 door hinge that squeaks I am not even going think about the door hinge until I solve the gas leak.
In this case the southern border is the gas leak. Like it or not a good many US citizens have fallen victim to crimes committed by Illegals who have come accross that border.
Its not racist to recognize that the illegal immigration problem will never be under control until we gain control of that border.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,777,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Bump for Floridasandy.

I'm awaiting to see the conclusive evidence that proves I'm not a farmer. I will go a step further with my claim. I'm a farmer in Florida. :-o
you may or may not be living in florida, and i am sure you can go a lot of steps further, but i am not likely to believe you.

i think 99.9% of your posts are on illegal immigration rights, the "persecution of illegals", how much they contribute, why they should be here, and one of my favorite sentences:

"He won a Pulitzer prize. Sounds like he's doing work better than Americans".

that doesn't sound much like an american farmer to me.

but actually, this is all still diversion from the point-which is that america cannot afford to have their good paying jobs outsourced, and then have to compete with a flood of illegal immigrants for the lower paying jobs that are left, driving down wages for already struggling americans, and increasing the need and the price of social services for every worker in this country. we all know how that ends-more taxes and less services for americans.

we don't have to accept it, and we don't have to put up with people from other countries telling us how things are "going to be" in OUR country.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,006,126 times
lol yeah, don't bother with any real evidence, he just doesn't FEEL like the stereotypical farmer you've been imagining all these years.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,238,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Not at all. Please, by all means continue spewing your hatred. I have no interest at all in stopping you. Why would I want to?
Whose hating? I DONT like illegal aliens an I want them GONE. I DONT hate them.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Whose hating? I DONT like illegal aliens an I want them GONE. I DONT hate them.
This is just another tactic used by the pro-illegals. They exaggerate by using strong words like "hate" to demonize those of us who are anti-illegal immigration. It is simply objection not hate but using the word hate fits their agenda so much better. Like racist, xenophobe, bigot, etc. You get my drift.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:27 PM

738 posts, read 929,161 times
I know that years ago, when a person was on unemployment, if they refused work they lost their benefits. Has that changed?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,739,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
I know that years ago, when a person was on unemployment, if they refused work they lost their benefits. Has that changed?
Nope.

And I know with 100% certainty that unemployed Americans will do farm work.

A guy I know quite well still has unemployment - something about "tiers" left, but is doing farm work. Loading cherries onto a truck is what I think it is he's doing.

In fact, that kind of work is not essentially different than stocking shelves, working with packages in UPS or Fedex.

And no - he's not picking the cherries because machines do the actual harvesting.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:59 AM

3,803 posts, read 4,807,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Nope.

And I know with 100% certainty that unemployed Americans will do farm work.

A guy I know quite well still has unemployment - something about "tiers" left, but is doing farm work. Loading cherries onto a truck is what I think it is he's doing.

In fact, that kind of work is not essentially different than stocking shelves, working with packages in UPS or Fedex.

And no - he's not picking the cherries because machines do the actual harvesting.
it is rare to find a legal non hispanic applying to do manual farm labor---as to americans not wanting to work for low non supporting wages--blame companies that offer those conditions----my non-hispanic kids are happy to get any job and work for low wages but a good majority of their friends will not even apply for those jobs--yet are incensed when they are given to a minority

Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 PM

403 posts, read 280,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you may or may not be living in florida, and i am sure you can go a lot of steps further, but i am not likely to believe you.

i think 99.9% of your posts are on illegal immigration rights, the "persecution of illegals", how much they contribute, why they should be here, and one of my favorite sentences:

"He won a Pulitzer prize. Sounds like he's doing work better than Americans".

that doesn't sound much like an american farmer to me.

but actually, this is all still diversion from the point-which is that america cannot afford to have their good paying jobs outsourced, and then have to compete with a flood of illegal immigrants for the lower paying jobs that are left, driving down wages for already struggling americans, and increasing the need and the price of social services for every worker in this country. we all know how that ends-more taxes and less services for americans.

we don't have to accept it, and we don't have to put up with people from other countries telling us how things are "going to be" in OUR country.
This is about what I expected. This isn't something I would think a farmer would say. I've never personally heard a farmer, an American one at least, say such things ergo you can't be a farmer. It fits perfectly with so much of the world-view by anecdote and "common sense" that is so prevalent here. Like when Benicar writes off numerous government estimates because they are biased because they are the government, but then points to studies commissioned by known white supremacists and from obscure bloggers and YouTube anecdotes and proclaims, "See! This is how things REALLY are! Anyone who KNOWS how things REALLY are knows this is true!" You could all really do yourselves a favor and do a little reading on confirmation bias.

As for the rest of it, attempting to keep the cost of labor inflated will not do much good toward stopping the outsourcing of jobs. Some people are just going to have to swallow their pride and take lower paying jobs or learn new skills to make themselves more valuable to potential employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration