U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,566 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you are bringing up 2 separate issues.

the first, you asked what america plans to do about a farm that can't find enough workers. the answer remains the same-not our problem. businesses always have to deal with the issue of supply and demand, or they fail. it's that simple and plenty of businesses fail and it isn't our problem. should we intervene with any business that has some kind of problem?
So flip that around. You've got citizen workers who can't find jobs - not our problem. Citizen workers always have to deal with the issue of supply and demand, or they fail. It's that simple and plenty of citizen workers fail and it isn't our problem. Should we intervene with any citizen worker that has some kind of problem?

 
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,804 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Incidentally, has anyone noticed the price of produce going down since the big influx of illegal aliens?
Food prices are really high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
There are many other factors that affect the price of food besides the cost of labor.
Yes, shipping, equipment etc. When labor is expensive it brings out innovation like machinery. Just when people think something can't be automated someone comes out with a way to automate it.
 
Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Incidentally, has anyone noticed the price of produce going down since the big influx of illegal aliens?
Interesting, isn’t it? One would expect all of this “cheap” labor to result in a reduction in food prices, rather than the skyrocketing prices we have experienced during the past decade. Oh, that's right, the greedy employers do not share their savings with consumers. They reap mega profits, while we continue to get screwed.
 
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So flip that around. You've got citizen workers who can't find jobs - not our problem. Citizen workers always have to deal with the issue of supply and demand, or they fail. It's that simple and plenty of citizen workers fail and it isn't our problem. Should we intervene with any citizen worker that has some kind of problem?
I disagree. Helping people who don't have jobs is looking out for the people (government for the people), but giving special considerations to corporations that wrongfully invested in illegal labor is not the government's doing, it's basically like a bailout. Often, the government will interfer with business to either help the overall PEOPLE or other reasons. However, in this case of illegal immigration, I do not think the government should have to make exception for people who relied on illegal migrant workers. At one point, we have to put responsibility on the employers instead of our government making it seem like they are irreplaceable. Like the other poster said, companies face HARSH times all the time. The government will shut companies down because of tax issues whenever they want, they get NO special consideration. So, why should their company be saved in relation to illegal immigration?
 
Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
Reputation: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Would you like to show some figures for this ridiculous speculation?
It's not really a ridiculous speculation. In fact, you said it yourself, it's JUST a speculation. No one said that that is exactly the truth. He is referring to the amount of money that illegal immigrants are taking from the system with their large families and low-income.
 
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 AM
 
1,574 posts, read 789,566 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I disagree. Helping people who don't have jobs is looking out for the people (government for the people), but giving special considerations to corporations that wrongfully invested in illegal labor is not the government's doing, it's basically like a bailout. Often, the government will interfer with business to either help the overall PEOPLE or other reasons. However, in this case of illegal immigration, I do not think the government should have to make exception for people who relied on illegal migrant workers. At one point, we have to put responsibility on the employers instead of our government making it seem like they are irreplaceable. Like the other poster said, companies face HARSH times all the time. The government will shut companies down because of tax issues whenever they want, they get NO special consideration. So, why should their company be saved in relation to illegal immigration?
But businesses are owned by people.

What special considerations are being given to corporations, exactly? Do you think excluding a huge portion of your potential competition from the workforce so you have an easier time getting a job and demanding higher than market wages ISN'T "basically like a bailout"???
 
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 AM
 
403 posts, read 280,867 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Interesting, isn’t it? One would expect all of this “cheap” labor to result in a reduction in food prices, rather than the skyrocketing prices we have experienced during the past decade. Oh, that's right, the greedy employers do not share their savings with consumers. They reap mega profits, while we continue to get screwed.
No, because, as others have pointed out, labor is only a small price of the overall cost. The issue of global food inflation has been thoroughly explored and the major causes of it have been reasonably hashed out if not fully understood. You could do a little googling to further explore these things or you could do nothing and stay in this echo chamber to further feed the illusion that you've constructed that illegal immigration is the primary source of any perceived problem in our country. The choice is yours.
 
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
 
403 posts, read 280,867 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I disagree. Helping people who don't have jobs is looking out for the people (government for the people), but giving special considerations to corporations that wrongfully invested in illegal labor is not the government's doing, it's basically like a bailout. Often, the government will interfer with business to either help the overall PEOPLE or other reasons. However, in this case of illegal immigration, I do not think the government should have to make exception for people who relied on illegal migrant workers. At one point, we have to put responsibility on the employers instead of our government making it seem like they are irreplaceable. Like the other poster said, companies face HARSH times all the time. The government will shut companies down because of tax issues whenever they want, they get NO special consideration. So, why should their company be saved in relation to illegal immigration?
Because those horrible illegal immigrants are just people looking for work as well. A farmer in Florida is supposed to be worried that some border patrol agent didn't do their job when there is a young guy showing up at his farm eager to work with proper documentation? Why should the government shut down a farm because the owners have way better things to be doing with their time than tracking down potential false SS numbers? You realize that when many of these farms get shut down that their production will get picked up by farms in Mexico or other countries, right? You realize that many other people will be hurt if these farms are shut down than just the people who may or may not have knowingly employed an illegal immigrant, right?
 
Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM
 
3,803 posts, read 4,806,097 times
Reputation: 3463
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
So the line "illegals are doing jobs americans don't want" is some sort of made-up anti-american propaganda but when the illegals are magically gotten rid of and none of the hard working non-lazy americans show up to get those jobs, we have to find a bunch of prison (i.e. slave) labor to bring in to fill the jobs.

--GOOD POINTS and don't forget taxpayers pay for the extra staff needed to make sure they do not run!!!
 
Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 AM
 
3,803 posts, read 4,806,097 times
Reputation: 3463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Because those horrible illegal immigrants are just people looking for work as well. A farmer in Florida is supposed to be worried that some border patrol agent didn't do their job when there is a young guy showing up at his farm eager to work with proper documentation? Why should the government shut down a farm because the owners have way better things to be doing with their time than tracking down potential false SS numbers? You realize that when many of these farms get shut down that their production will get picked up by farms in Mexico or other countries, right? You realize that many other people will be hurt if these farms are shut down than just the people who may or may not have knowingly employed an illegal immigrant, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top