Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

And another article. It seems it's more the farmers refusal to hire unemployed Americans than those Americans actually refusing to work. There are stereotypes regarding the people on probation and some apparently do not want to give these people any chance whatsoever. I suspect the reasons the farmers so despise the probationers may have a lot to do with some racist views they hold, if the probationers are primarily a certain race.

Why NOT consider hiring non-violent ex-offenders? How can someone get their life on track if they are never given a chance or employment?

Convicts or Illegals: Georgia Hunts for Farmworkers As Tough Immigration Law Takes Hold - TIME

Georgia's largest industry, agriculture, suddenly has 11,000 openings — which, he suggested, should be filled with some of the state's 100,000 ex-convicts, about 25% of whom are unemployed.

Predictably, farmers have coldly received Deal's suggestion that non-violent ex-offenders be hired.

So far, few farmers appear to have taken Deal's suggestion to hire probationers.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 AM

403 posts, read 334,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Pay better wages, offer a few benefits.
Lol? How do you know what we pay isn't good?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Lol? How do you know what we pay isn't good?
If the pay is good then it's the working conditions or poor treatment of workers.

You seriously cannot say that out of all the probationers, not one of them would like a chance to have an honest job. Many farmers would never dream of recruiting in an inner city, offering jobs to unemployed youth. Or housewives who could use a little extra cash.

The biggest problem with Americans isn't that all are too lazy to work, but that few want to be treated like dogs.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 AM

951 posts, read 745,328 times
Quote:
If the pay is good then it's the working conditions or poor treatment of workers.

You seriously cannot say that out of all the probationers, not one of them would like a chance to have an honest job. Many farmers would never dream of recruiting in an inner city, offering jobs to unemployed youth. Or housewives who could use a little extra cash.

The biggest problem with Americans isn't that all are too lazy to work, but that few want to be treated like dogs.

If they wanted an honest job they could you know, apply instead of having the judge order them to go do it. You act like farmers never even put ads for jobs anywhere and the illegals just show up at random farmers door steps. The jobs in GA were paying on avg. $14/hr. Housewives doing farm work lulz. Good one. I don't think you realize what farm work is really like.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Hmm? Are you really going to take it there? Man, you are killing me with this stuff. First of all, my opinion is that it is perfectly fine for someone to legally be working here or THERE. If I want a product and it just so happens to be made in Mexico then I will purchase it and not feel as though I am stealing from American businesses. That is called fair trade and global economy. I have no issue with a country having its own businesses and me buying from them.

Now, when a Mexican goes back to Mexico and works, we, taxpayers, don't have to wonder if he or she is here soaking up all kinds of government funds at our expense. He or she is IN Mexico, no problem. It is quite the trade-off: knowing that a worker is in Mexico working and not here illegally in the United States creating over-population in an area or draining resources.

lulz. It's better to buy products out of country because the workers might be using gov't welfares and such. Let's forget by living in country they pay taxes of all sorts and support other local businesses with in country purchases. Not only that but growth creates management and other types of jobs. Also, forget the fact that they have to have a child to even qualify for anything welfare related and just assume they are all leeching welfare. I know you guys like to act like they all have kids but it's pretty much not true and is just another stereotype perpetuated by your kind.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,018,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No but you might be buying inferior products. same with buying made in China crap.
So if I hire a chinese guy or a mexican guy, I'm not stealing an american job?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Now, when a Mexican goes back to Mexico and works, we, taxpayers, don't have to wonder if he or she is here soaking up all kinds of government funds at our expense.
You can't have it both ways. If you want fair trade/global economy, you have to have movement of labor as well as product.

The fact that you can't control your giveaway programs isn't a problem with labor, it's a problem with your giveaway programs.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
are you okay with all americans entering mexico and demanding jobs and social services in mexico? do you think the mexican government would be okay with that?

what do you think that would do to mexico?

because we could try that, because what we have here isn't working out for america.
So your solution is that the US should be more like Mexico?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
There are stereotypes regarding the people on probation and some apparently do not want to give these people any chance whatsoever. I suspect the reasons the farmers so despise the probationers may have a lot to do with some racist views they hold, if the probationers are primarily a certain race.
Yeah, while you guys paint all illegal aliens looking for work as hardened criminals, farmers actually would prefer them to be around their family/property instead of you know, actual criminals. Imagine that.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Pay better wages, offer a few benefits.
If it's so simple, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and operate a farm paying better wages and offering benefits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration