U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2007, 05:54 AM
 
11,603 posts, read 31,777,545 times
Reputation: 8203

Advertisements

In the 8/9/2007 Tennessean was a feature article on the Hispanic population growth in Tennessee which has been nearly 600% since 1990. In 2006 Tennessee was 3 percent Hispanic. The Nashville Area Hispanic Chamber of Commerce believes the numbers are actually too low, that there are a lot more Hispanics than the Census figures show.

In fast-growing suburban Robertson County (Springfield), the official Hispanic population is 6 percent of the county's total population, but at the county health department 40 percent of the patients are Hispanic.

Among the results:

The highest concentration of Hispanics in Tennessee is in Bedford County (Shelbyville), which is 12 percent Hispanic.

Hamblen County (Morristown) is 10 percent Hispanic.

Warren County (McMinnville) is 7 percent Hispanic.

Nashville is 7 percent Hispanic.

The article can be found here:
Hispanic population surges in Tennessee - Nashville, Tennessee - Thursday, 08/09/07 - Tennessean.com

Here's a map which shows the Hispanic population density in every county in Tennessee in 1990, 2000, and 2006:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2007, 06:16 AM
 
763 posts, read 1,294,042 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
In the 8/9/2007 Tennessean was a feature article on the Hispanic population growth in Tennessee which has been nearly 600% since 1990. In 2006 Tennessee was 3 percent Hispanic. The Nashville Area Hispanic Chamber of Commerce believes the numbers are actually too low, that there are a lot more Hispanics than the Census figures show.

In fast-growing suburban Robertson County (Springfield), the official Hispanic population is 6 percent of the county's total population, but at the county health department 40 percent of the patients are Hispanic.

Among the results:

The highest concentration of Hispanics in Tennessee is in Bedford County (Shelbyville), which is 12 percent Hispanic.

Hamblen County (Morristown) is 10 percent Hispanic.

Warren County (McMinnville) is 7 percent Hispanic.

Nashville is 7 percent Hispanic.

The article can be found here:
Hispanic population surges in Tennessee - Nashville, Tennessee - Thursday, 08/09/07 - Tennessean.com

Here's a map which shows the Hispanic population density in every county in Tennessee in 1990, 2000, and 2006:

That's some astounding spread! And troubling, at least to me. That's all I'll say on the subject in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2007, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Midwest
6,739 posts, read 8,541,977 times
Reputation: 16512
It's happening everywhere -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2007, 10:18 AM
 
2,197 posts, read 6,592,971 times
Reputation: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
In fast-growing suburban Robertson County (Springfield), the official Hispanic population is 6 percent of the county's total population, but at the county health department 40 percent of the patients are Hispanic.
That is what I find most alarming of all. I lived in California for more than a decade, and I watched the insurgence of immigrants grow from a blip to a boom, burdening cities to the breaking point, while monopolizing the state's tax dollars. When any society funnels disproportionate resources to helping, medicating and supporting the members of any immigrant group, who take and take without paying taxes, then send the money they don't pay taxes on back to the motherland, the system is not working. At all.

Meanwhile, hardworking Americans are scraping by and doing without. In L.A., lower middle class families are forced to send their children to expensive private schools if they can't get in a good magnet school (few and far between), because the public schools are so busy trying to teach non-English speaking students that those who do speak our language get a remedial education. Medical services are overburdened, apartments are overcrowded and insurance goes up. Immigrants don't pay for the services they use, so others must pick up the slack. (I'm talking about illegals, not American citizens, of any nationality.)

Immigrants can't afford California anymore-- even living 15 to an apartment-- so they're migrating south, where they can. California couldn't find the answer and neither could Arizona; I hope Tennessee can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 AM
 
3,748 posts, read 7,213,486 times
Reputation: 4825
What's most alarming to me is that there are people who call themselves Americans, yet they have no love whatsoever for America or Americans. Instead of recognizing the overpopulation problem caused by illegal immigration and the consequent destruction of the land and our way life, they fight to keep illegal immigration flowing into this country. They ignore facts and lie even in the face of overwhelming evidence that our country is being hurt badly by illegal immigration. How can some people who themselves Americans hate America so much that they want illegal foreigners to have it? How can these people call themselves Americans when they ignore the pain an suffering of other Americans and fight for the illegal foreigners who take resources and jobs from Americans? Where is their compassion for the victims murdered by illegals? Where is their love for other Americans who lose their jobs because greedy companies hire lower-paid illegals?

That is more alarming to me than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM
 
2,432 posts, read 6,004,847 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
What's most alarming to me is that there are people who call themselves Americans, yet they have no love whatsoever for America or Americans. Instead of recognizing the overpopulation problem caused by illegal immigration and the consequent destruction of the land and our way life, they fight to keep illegal immigration flowing into this country. They ignore facts and lie even in the face of overwhelming evidence that our country is being hurt badly by illegal immigration. How can some people who themselves Americans hate America so much that they want illegal foreigners to have it? How can these people call themselves Americans when they ignore the pain an suffering of other Americans and fight for the illegal foreigners who take resources and jobs from Americans? Where is their compassion for the victims murdered by illegals? Where is their love for other Americans who lose their jobs because greedy companies hire lower-paid illegals?

That is more alarming to me than anything else.
I honestly think there are people in positions of power in this country, that really, really hate America as it is. And they will do whatever it takes to drastically change the makeup of this country. Even if it means lowering the United States to a third world status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM
 
763 posts, read 1,294,042 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I honestly think there are people in positions of power in this country, that really, really hate America as it is. And they will do whatever it takes to drastically change the makeup of this country. Even if it means lowering the United States to a third world status.
Think of how you'd establish a North American Union, should you suddenly become insane, without having the people of America getting in the way. This is how it's done. It can only be stopped if the people take action--real action.

Bush and his retinue are meeting with Canada's and Mexico's very soon; we can all write the agenda for those meetings without being privy to the insider information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 PM
 
763 posts, read 1,294,042 times
Reputation: 248
Moderator cut: off topic

Expect MUCH more migration of hispanics to Tennessee because of its low costs and ability to cram huge numbers of people into whatever domicile is available. The big cities in Tennessee don't have the huge metropolitan areas yet and so hispanics can establish large . . . areas of concentration. If there is no work, it won't matter after awhile because it will become similar to Los Angeles and many other cities in which crime has increased dramatically, crime being very profitable at the present time in many areas because of lack of funds to support law enforcement efforts.

These, of course, are my expectations that cannot be proven yet . . . but I have confidence they will--unless Tennesseans address these issues NOW.

Last edited by Marka; 08-12-2007 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: PM me if needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,787 times
Reputation: 11
I see your points of view and somewhat I agreed, but what about the people who work get a pay check wich from deductions are being made, and they don't do their taxes, they don't file or claim any moneys what so ever, what about all of that money, who gets to keep and use it, thanxs to that money alot of americans who do not wish to work and I mean citizens of this country who decided to support them self from the system so call, enjoy this money but I don't hear any of you complaining about that, is that fair, I pay taxes just like any of you maybe more than you, respect the laws more than an american probably, and you know what, THIS LAND HAS PROVIDE FOR ME AND MY FAMILY AND WE PRAY FOR AMERICA AND THE CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY EVERY DAY, HOPING FOR A FAIR SOLUTION BECAUSE AT THE END YOU ALL CAME FROM AN IMIGRANT WHO MADE THIS LAND THEIRS, HOW DIFFERENT ARE WE FROM THEM.....DON'T WE DESERVE BETTER.....WE ARE HARD WORKING PEOPLE, UNFORTUNELLY JUST LIKE YOUR RACE, WE HAVE SOME BAD APPLES, SO PLEASE BE FAIR AND HUMAN AND ASK THE GOVERMENT FOR A FAIR SOLUTIONS WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE SEPARATED FROM YOUR FAMILY OR FORCE TO LIVE IN PROVERTY, WE KNOW WHAT THAT'S LIKE, DON'T MAKE US GO THROUGH IT AGAIN, WE ARE PRAYING FOR AMERICA AND THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN IT.......GOD BLESS..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2010, 09:28 AM
 
3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Reputation: 1270
I just want to say that some people may come in here and say, "What does this have to do with illegal immigration" and ask the mods to close this thread because that has happened many times before in the past. So, I just wanted to go ahead and say that Tennesee is one of the areas and states in which illegal immigrants are growing in numbers and go to once they arrive here and the Hispanic population has grown in Tennessee BECAUSE of illegal immigration. That is true of a lot of places that have a large Hispanic population right now.

So, why would that matter? Well, first of all, everyone knows the power of influence for a group/demographic that comes along with having a higher population than all others. Political influence, economical and social. The fact that people get to gain that influence through illegal means, cheating and ignoring immigration procedures is awful.

With that out of the way, I live in Kentucky and I have noticed the change in Tennesee and I agree that the statistics of the Hispanic population is probably incorrect. Undocumented immigrants go to Tennessee for the factory jobs and construction (there is also agriculture work). Tennessee has also done some things that makes it easier for undocumented people to work and live there. They go back and forth though, passing some things that target undocumented immigrants and employers, and then doing something that makes it easier for undocumented people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top