U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,321,696 times
Reputation: 2757

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Maybe you should read the post you're responding to a little more closely. Let it sink in.
Actually, she makes a very good point. In fact, it's so good that maybe you'd prefer she had not made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,007,706 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Actually, she makes a very good point. In fact, it's so good that maybe you'd prefer she had not made it.
Look at the post she was responding to. Maybe read it a couple of times. And then tell me why I'd care about the point she made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 PM
 
3,395 posts, read 3,219,234 times
Reputation: 9262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Look at the post she was responding to. Maybe read it a couple of times. And then tell me why I'd care about the point she made.
Maybe you should quit playing guessing games and actually spell out what it is you are trying to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,321,696 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Okay, leave out who is actually doing the work (Americans or non-Americans). Think about what happens to the money that they earn. 99.99% of what an American earns will be injected into the US economy. Mexican workers send most of it back to Mexico. $21.27 billion in remittances were sent to Mexico in 2010.
I don't want to get off on a tangent, but that money could have covered a lot of those ER visits we tax payers get stuck with that has sucked this state dry. Excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 05:19 PM
 
403 posts, read 281,398 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Let's just say...to anyone with common sense it should be evident.

Or maybe you don't live in a state impacted by this problem so that is why you take the view of the issue as you do. I do live in a place impacted by this problem.
Perhaps you and I have a different definition of 'self evident.' When I asked you how you knew the guy next door was cheap you replied with a number of inquiries that you made that would, in my opinion, negate the idea that Mexican=cheap is self-evident.

Wrt, your "it's common sense" argument, there was a time when common sense told us that witches should be burned at the stake or that the earth was flat, or that black people were sub-human, or that insanity was caused by demonic possession and could be cured by beating the possessed person, so forgive me if I don't put too much stock in arguments based primarily in reasoning that "common sense says so."

Also, I live in Florida and I employ some Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,321,696 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
Perhaps you and I have a different definition of 'self evident.' When I asked you how you knew the guy next door was cheap you replied with a number of inquiries that you made that would, in my opinion, negate the idea that Mexican=cheap is self-evident.

Wrt, your "it's common sense" argument, there was a time when common sense told us that witches should be burned at the stake or that the earth was flat, or that black people were sub-human, or that insanity was caused by demonic possession and could be cured by beating the possessed person, so forgive me if I don't put too much stock in arguments based primarily in reasoning that "common sense says so."

Also, I live in Florida and I employ some Mexicans.
Well, I assume you check for papers? Or are you one of these employers I speak of that is giving illegals jobs...maybe that is why you are defending them in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 05:35 PM
 
1,574 posts, read 792,080 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Illegals work here and send the bulk of their wages to another country. So, they take, but don't give back.
They didn't just get that money for free. They didn't steal it. They worked for it. They held up their end of the deal.

Are people who save their money rather than spend it all unpatriotic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 05:45 PM
 
3,395 posts, read 3,219,234 times
Reputation: 9262
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
They didn't just get that money for free. They didn't steal it. They worked for it. They held up their end of the deal.

Are people who save their money rather than spend it all unpatriotic?
It depends on where they save it. If they save it in an American institution, then, yes they are patriotic. If they save it in a Mexican bank, then no they are not.

But my main point isn't about patriotism. It's more about who would I rather have that job, an American or a Mexican. As a member of this community, I would rather someone who will invest the money back into the community (either in a savings account OR by spending it) get the job.

Now, if a Mexican is willing to cut his financial ties to the old country (like most European immigrants did in the 19th century), I would feel different about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
 
5,547 posts, read 8,321,696 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
They didn't just get that money for free. They didn't steal it. They worked for it. They held up their end of the deal.

Are people who save their money rather than spend it all unpatriotic?
You don't seem to get it. They broke the law. They did NOT hold up their end of "the deal." To break our law is not patriotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM
 
403 posts, read 281,398 times
Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Expect no sympathy from people with little to no real life experience in the bottom rungs of the economy (either personally, or in their family). Expect no sympathy from people who think the economy runs the way their Economics 101 textbook tells them it's supposed to... ya know, where John the baker and Mark the baker compete to sell their bread for the lowest price, and where Mary the candlestick maker uses her perfect knowledge and comparison abilities to make her decision on whether to by Challa from Mark, or wheatloaf from John.
Aside from the fact that this argument is obviously false, I'm curious what type of experience would you say qualifies as "bottom rungs of the economy" experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top