U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 12:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,005,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
To what extent? Have you noticed a decrease in food prices? I certainly havenít. Have you noticed a decrease in housing costs, not directly related to the mortgage collapse? I havenít. Have you noticed any ultra cheap hotel rates at decent hotels? I havenít. Have you noticed many cheap landscaping services? I havenít. Have you noticed any reduction is the cost to hire a plumber or electrician? Again, the answer is NO. So, please explain how illegals are reducing our costs.
Please, by all means go ahead to continue to re-state the same point over and over without responding to the replies you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDros View Post
All of them produced by cheap labor. This shouldn't be hard to grasp. There are a number of things that go into the price of a good. Labor is one of those things. If you can reduce labor costs, you reduce the cost to produce a product, which benefits consumers.

Basically what Rock said, but I'll go ahead and explain it as well...

See above where I said, "There are a number of things that can go into the price of a good?" Well, there are others. And if those things go up, so does the ultimate price of the product. The consumer is still benefiting because the labor costs are lower, and therefore the final price is lower than it would have been if the labor costs were higher.

I know all these concepts might seem kind of abstract, so in order to make it really clear, let me illustrate with an example: Let's say I produce a simple product which has production costs:

$3 Raw Materials
$4 Labor
$3 Overhead (store rent, utilities, shipping costs, etc)

Final production costs = $10

I can hire some cheaper laborers and lower my cost basis, but at the same time, there is an oil price increase of 30%, which pushes the cost of the raw materials and overhead up. My new production costs are now:

$5 Raw materials
$3 Labor
$4 Overhead

Final production costs = $12

So the price to consumers is going to have to go up 25% in order for me to break even, even though I saved 25% on labor costs.

So, bottom line is that you still save money even though thing cost more.
Obviously, you donít realize employers of illegals pocket their savings. But then, thatís to be expected from greedy, unscrupulous people. Therefore, consumers do not benefit. Unfortunately, we not only continue to see prices climb, but we are forced to support the cheap labor with BILLIONS of our tax dollars annually.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM

951 posts, read 616,961 times
Quote:
To what extent? Have you noticed a decrease in food prices? I certainly havenít. Have you noticed a decrease in housing costs, not directly related to the mortgage collapse? I havenít. Have you noticed any ultra cheap hotel rates at decent hotels? I havenít. Have you noticed many cheap landscaping services? I havenít. Have you noticed any reduction is the cost to hire a plumber or electrician? Again, the answer is NO. So, please explain how illegals are reducing our costs.

Furthermore, the ďcheapĒ labor is costing taxpayers BILLIONS annually. At least the plantation owners supported their slaves.

Bolded is for the lulz. This guy's response already discusses your inability to understand this:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDros View Post
I know all these concepts might seem kind of abstract, so in order to make it really clear, let me illustrate with an example: Let's say I produce a simple product which has production costs:

$3 Raw Materials
$4 Labor
$3 Overhead (store rent, utilities, shipping costs, etc)

Final production costs = $10

I can hire some cheaper laborers and lower my cost basis, but at the same time, there is an oil price increase of 30%, which pushes the cost of the raw materials and overhead up. My new production costs are now:

$5 Raw materials
$3 Labor
$4 Overhead

Final production costs = $12

So the price to consumers is going to have to go up 25% in order for me to break even, even though I saved 25% on labor costs.

So, bottom line is that you still save money even though thing cost more.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Dear Lord. Do you actually not realize each SSN is assigned to ONLY one person? Good grief! This is astonishing.
lol, actually there are some repeats.

But truly, we can all agree. The horrors that people whose SSNs have been used must go through are insane. If only there was some way to readjust the incentives such that illegals could legally pay these taxes. Oh, right, everyone but you guys supports that solution.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Obviously, you don’t realize employers of illegals pocket their savings. But then, that’s to be expected from greedy, unscrupulous people. Therefore, consumers do not benefit. Unfortunately, we not only continue to see prices climb, but we are forced to support the cheap labor with BILLIONS of our tax dollars annually.
Still with the "pocket the savings" meme. LOL. Does this pocketed savings sit in a vault and never reenter the economy as well?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Please, by all means go ahead to continue to re-state the same point over and over without responding to the replies you get.

But, I have responded. You simply disagree with my responses, which is certainly your prerogative.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
But, I have responded. You simply disagree with my responses, which is certainly your prerogative.
You only responded after I posted, and you did it with the old POCKETING THE SAVINGS.

There's a reason we love that meme so much.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Furthermore, the ďcheapĒ labor is costing taxpayers BILLIONS annually. At least the plantation owners supported their slaves.
Hilarious. So you obviously realize that other factors effect cost but you are just playing dumb so you can keep up the rhetoric.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Still with the "pocket the savings" meme. LOL. Does this pocketed savings sit in a vault and never reenter the economy as well?
I have no idea how illegal employers transact business. Nor do I know how they funnel their illicit profits. You will have to ask them. But, I do know they do not share their savings with consumers, which is clearly evident to all who do not have an amnesty/open borders agenda. The proof is in the pricing.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I have no idea how illegal employers transact business. Nor do I know how they funnel their illicit profits. You will have to ask them. But, I do know they do not share their savings with consumers, which is clearly evident to all who do not have an amnesty/open borders agenda. The proof is in the pricing.
No, it's not. Go ahead and find food price charts. They could have skyrocketed when illegals arrived, and the proof still wouldn't be in the pricing. You do not see why that is so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or