U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Hilarious. So you obviously realize that other factors effect cost but you are just playing dumb so you can keep up the rhetoric.
Didnít I already state that there are other factors? However, again, it cannot be denied that illegal immigration is a major factor. Now, who is playing dumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Bolded is for the lulz. This guy's response already discusses your inability to understand this:
Inability to understand? Or, refusal to accept BS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
Well considering you just claimed that illegal immigration has had no effect on costs of things I think it's you. Do I need to start holding you to your positions by quoting things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 1,005,489 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Didnít I already state that there are other factors? However, again, it cannot be denied that illegal immigration is a major factor. Now, who is playing dumb?
...you still.

Saying "it cannot be denied that [insert anything here]" is not actually an argument. I know it's your argument of choice, but it is simply assuming your conclusion.

Your argument is either that cheaper labor drives prices UP somehow, or keeps them even. This defies economic theory, so you then supplement that by saying they "pocket the savings" even though you openly admit to having "no idea" how the employers transact. This is not a shining moment for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why didn't your ancestors fight religious intolerance, military conscription, bad government structure and policies, national conflicts, and failed farming practices (i.e. over-dependence on a susceptible potato crop) in their own home countries? If you want that changed, you had better stop legal immigration as well. That is Immigration 101: When the going gets tough, the tough get going elsewhere.
I canít speak for her, but many of my ancestors did. And, they fought for rights in their own country. They didnít flee to another country illegally and expect to be supported. Obviously, illegals lack courage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: East Coast US
37 posts, read 22,979 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I canít speak for her, but many of my ancestors did. And, they fought for rights in their own country. They didnít flee to another country illegally and expect to be supported. Obviously, illegals lack courage.


Yeah, like, um, the opposite of that.

Risking prison time, deportation, and having to deal with the rampant xenophobia here in order to get a better life for themselves and family isn't something I'd call "lacking courage."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Dear Lord. Do you actually not realize each SSN is assigned to ONLY one person? Good grief! This is astonishing.
There has even been incidents of nearly identical names and birthdates assigned the same number, magnified by the problem that the applicants may even live close to one another (by the initial three-digit sequence being the applying location). The way the Social Security number is set up, it is not always a unique identifying number to a specific person within the span of their lifetime, more so by the higher U.S. population now. Some sequences are reused by a state rather than being assigned a new sequence:

...More than 15 percent of SSNs are associated with two or more people. More than 140,000 SSNs are associated with five or more people. Significantly, more than 27,000 SSNs are associated with 10 or more people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
 
951 posts, read 616,793 times
Reputation: 89
In one thread they are arrogant and demanding. In another they are gutless folk with no courage. Hey what ever emotions we need to stroke to fit the situation right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
...you still.

Saying "it cannot be denied that [insert anything here]" is not actually an argument. I know it's your argument of choice, but it is simply assuming your conclusion.

Your argument is either that cheaper labor drives prices UP somehow, or keeps them even. This defies economic theory, so you then supplement that by saying they "pocket the savings" even though you openly admit to having "no idea" how the employers transact. This is not a shining moment for you.
Perhaps I missed it, but did you respond to my questions re: what prices have you noticed declining?

Oh, but Iím not here to ďshine.Ē This is simply a discussion forum. Sorry if you thought otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps not now. However, if we grant amnesty to millions of illegals, there is no way in hell it will not impact our legal immigration quotas. How could it not? Again, illegals are already here, while those playing by the rules continue to languish in foreign lands. That is so wrong.
You used the present tense for your statement (post #36), and continue to avoid saying why it would be true...

That is so wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top