Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:38 PM

20 posts, read 11,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Do you not listen to the news, all the time the news states costs and statistics for illegal immigrants using state benefits. 6.1 billion in 2010 in Calif. for education of illegals. 82% of all welfare payments in L.A. is going to illegals.
Citation is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakinupallnight View Post
As someone who works in healthcare information systems I'm very interested in what methodology Benicar thinks hospitals use to determine citizenship status and how it is "better" than any government data.
You guys certainly enjoy twisting my words. The ONLY government agencies I have issues with, and this pertains to illegal immigration exclusively, are Census, SSA, IRS, and USCIS. They have NO data source, period. Regarding the methodology used by hospitals to determine illegal status, I have already illustrated how, in my opinion, it can be done. Obviously, they wouldn’t attribute a percentage of their deficit to illegal immigration if they could not ascertain their immigration status.

If you work in healthcare IT, and sincerely want to know their methodology, I would think it would be rather easy to simply inquire. Why don’t you ask the hospital administrator and then report back to us?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 AM

37 posts, read 27,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You guys certainly enjoy twisting my words. The ONLY government agencies I have issues with, and this pertains to illegal immigration exclusively, are Census, SSA, IRS, and USCIS. They have NO data source, period.
Quote:
Apparently you have missed the numerous times I have mentioned the ineptitude of the federal government. And, yes, when relevant, I have linked to federal government sources. But, after a thorough assessment of their data source, or lack thereof, I have come to the realization that NONE of their data is credible. Now, are you willing to acknowledge the same?
El-oh-el.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDros View Post
El-oh-el.
Tell me, did I include ALL government agencies in my thorough assessment? Or, did I limit it to Census, SSA, IRS, and USCIS?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:49 PM

884 posts, read 716,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Is it possible that "Gloria Sanchez" is also able to legally have the same Social Security number as you? How many available combinations of digits are in the number compared to the entire U.S. population of 310+ million? I suggest you contact Gloria Sanchez (but not misuse her legitimate Social Security number in the process) to apologize for your failure to understand math, and assuming any illegality because of her (or her husband's) surname.

If you can verify your name against the number, why can't the IRS, credit organizations, and employers do the same?...
IBMMuseum, first I had to put a hold on my credit 3 years ago as this person applied for credit using my SS#, and there were 13 inquires on my equifax report. Also, the IRS and I had attempted to sort out my income versus hers. Although the amount she added was minimum it was still on my taxes. She did have a W-2 and the company was notified (so I was told) after I proved who I am to the IRS. Why do I need to apologize for my failure to understand math? I understand math quite well sir. What kind of stupid question is that? Also, your suggestion to find her is as useless as most of your posts. Since you are for illegal immigration why not take them under your roof. feed them, clothe them, etc.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
IBMMuseum, first I had to put a hold on my credit 3 years ago as this person applied for credit using my SS#, and there were 13 inquires on my equifax report. Also, the IRS and I had attempted to sort out my income versus hers. Although the amount she added was minimum it was still on my taxes. She did have a W-2 and the company was notified (so I was told) after I proved who I am to the IRS. Why do I need to apologize for my failure to understand math? I understand math quite well sir. What kind of stupid question is that? Also, your suggestion to find her is as useless as most of your posts. Since you are for illegal immigration why not take them under your roof. feed them, clothe them, etc.
How was she able to apply for credit with her name and the same Social Security number to show up on your credit report? When the IRS sees a different name come up for the Social Security number they are equally confused by it? Something for the manner you are explaining what happened to you seems strange.

More so, without any other detail than her surname available to you, why do you assume she is an illegal alien?...

Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
How was she able to apply for credit with her name and the same Social Security number to show up on your credit report? When the IRS sees a different name come up for the Social Security number they are equally confused by it? Something for the manner you are explaining what happened to you seems strange.

More so, without any other detail than her surname available to you, why do you assume she is an illegal alien?...
You’d be surprised at the prevalence of this crime. Until recently, due to E-Verify, most illegals used their actual names or an alias while using a stolen SSN. The same applies to those who steal an SSN, and then purchase cars, houses, etc.

Quote:
An undocumented immigrant worker managed to use Steve Millet's Social Security number for more than 10 years before the incident was discovered. Millet said the imposter managed to obtain a dozen credit cards, buy a car, and even a house using the stolen number and his own name. All the while, that imposter paid taxes, paid into Social Security, and took out loans using the stolen Social Security Number. All of those agencies had a record of the abused SSN; none bothered to tell Steve Millet.
The secret list of ID theft victims - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 PM

37 posts, read 27,564 times
Quote:
Tell me, did I include ALL government agencies in my thorough assessment? Or, did I limit it to Census, SSA, IRS, and USCIS?
I have no idea what you included in your so-called assessment.

What I do know is that in the post I quoted, you mention the "federal government" by name twice, and you never mention any specific agencies. So when, in the third sentence, you dismiss all of "their" data, it's clear to anyone who can read that you're referring the federal government.

Once again, the point is that your defenses are malleable depending upon the situation, and you've yet again taken a stance that is in opposition to something you'd previously said. That's not a particularly convincing method by which to convince people that your position holds water.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM

20 posts, read 11,878 times
Quote:
You guys certainly enjoy twisting my words. The ONLY government agencies I have issues with, and this pertains to illegal immigration exclusively, are Census, SSA, IRS, and USCIS. They have NO data source, period. Regarding the methodology used by hospitals to determine illegal status, I have already illustrated how, in my opinion, it can be done. Obviously, they wouldn’t attribute a percentage of their deficit to illegal immigration if they could not ascertain their immigration status.

If you work in healthcare IT, and sincerely want to know their methodology, I would think it would be rather easy to simply inquire. Why don’t you ask the hospital administrator and then report back to us?

More illegal immigrants getting emergency treatment at UMC - News - ReviewJournal.com

You may recognize it.

Quote:
Private hospital officials generally don't divulge actual costs of treatment, considering the information proprietary to their business model. But under the law, taxpayer-supported hospitals have to be more transparent.
Quote:
Health care costs for illegal immigrants, a hot-button issue in the health care reform debate, vary widely because of the difficulty in obtaining accurate information on illegal immigrants.
Hospital's data elements are no better than U.S. Census data and hospital's billing information is required to be passed along to the State in any case.

Hospitals don't collect have the information available to in order to extrapolate the citizenship of a person. SS numbers are not always provided and not providing one does not indicate citizenship ( people don't remember it, forgot the card, etc), foreign born information isn't asked either, and billing information can be cross referenced but of course that data is only very specific to that hospital and can't be cross referenced to a person's citizenship. Hospitals can be very confident in saying that when a SS information is not provided the costs are X but beyond that it would be very difficult to say with any certainty.

Last edited by Yakinupallnight; 07-24-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-24-2011, 03:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
...Until recently, due to E-Verify, most illegals used their actual names or an alias while using a stolen SSN...
My comment was also why there was an assumption about immigration status based on nothing more than a surname...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration