Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Illegal is not being in the country Legally, if its hoping the border, expired Visa's fraud etc.....
Wasn't that covered in my definition that you responded to?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I asked for proof that they "came here" legally first (in absence of a specific law). In regards to the status of U.S. citizenship, the rules have not changed over time (only expansion of whom can become a citizen). Past immigrants that came without status or improperly assumed the rights of citizens were in essence "amnestied" individually.

Doesn't that run contrary to "The Rule of Law"?...

If immigrants assimilated so well, why did Teddy Roosevelt feel the need to say that they weren't?...
You are missing the point.
There is a legal way to enter a country. That is why permanent visa's are issued for residency

Every country started as an immigrant country and each country set up an legal process to become a citizen of that republic.

When this country first started it took 5 years for an immigrant to become an American.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 PM

19 posts, read 14,016 times
What part of "illegal" do you not understand?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You are missing the point.
There is a legal way to enter a country. That is why permanent visa's are issued for residency

Every country started as an immigrant country and each country set up an legal process to become a citizen of that republic.

When this country first started it took 5 years for an immigrant to become an American.
Tell me how early immigrants entered the United States the "legal way"...

Didn't you tell me at one time that you had your U.S. citizenship from your "bloodlines", that your ancestors were citizens, so you were a citizen?...

If my Great Great Grandfather (of the certificate earlier in this thread) became a U.S. citizen after only 3 years and 11 months, did he get his citizenship improperly?...

What effect of whether it was or wasn't would that have on any of the rest of his life?...

Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 PM

19 posts, read 14,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
I suppose all those non-partisan non gov't groups that say pretty much the same thing are bias and bad at math too. Find me a study not from a white nationalist organization that says they are a huge drain.
Try the Pew Institute of Hispanic Studies.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM

335 posts, read 328,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
Of course, what you don't mention is that most people can't use ANY of those ways to come here legally.
Then those people shouldn't come here. No foreigner has the God given right to live in the United States.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Then those people shouldn't come here. No foreigner has the God given right to live in the United States.
Meaning all along for the history of the United States, or more recently?...

Define "God given", does that mean permission from the government outweighs the level you are attributing to God's blessing?...

Absolutely no foreigners?...

Old 07-21-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:

If you notice, he became a citizen 3 years and 11 months after landing in the United States. As a German, he wasn't restricted from coming (no Ellis Island at that point), and didn't pay to naturalize. Remarkably easy, right?

These days, they call people using the same methods "illegal aliens".
Different times, different era, different century, and different laws.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Unlike you I think those rights are entitled to everyone, not just people born on this side of some line.
Some line? The Mexican government sure seems to think that this "some line" is pretty important because they'll arrest you and throw you into jail for crossing over it without their permission.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
I asked for proof that they "came here" legally first (in absence of a specific law). In regards to the status of U.S. citizenship, the rules have not changed over time (only expansion of whom can become a citizen). Past immigrants that came without status or improperly assumed the rights of citizens were in essence "amnestied" individually.

Doesn't that run contrary to "The Rule of Law"?...

If immigrants assimilated so well, why did Teddy Roosevelt feel the need to say that they weren't?...
Just what is your beef with our immigration policies today? I don't give a rat's behind about the past and neither should you. Those people are all dead now and our policies have changed over time for various reasons.

As for Roosevelt's remark perhaps he was just trying to reiterate to new immigrants what was expected of them. That doesn't mean that many or most weren't assimilating in a timely manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration