U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US deport illegal immigrants and better prevent their arrival?
Yes. 109 83.21%
No. 22 16.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,019,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizontalintegration View Post
...and New Mexico in 1850 for Spanish-English.
Yep, the census year that showed 90% of New Mexico residents knew Spanish...

So it was probably mostly "ESL" schoolwork that would have to have been done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,913,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
I swear to God, if I hear "press 1 for Polish" ONE MORE TIME...
To be perfectly honest I don't see what the hoopla is all about in regards to people speaking spanish or any other language in public. It is the USA freedom of speech and all that.
When calling a Gov office like USCIS it is a bit annoying, but only because i tend to be hyper and just want to get the call over with.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I can agree to a point, but not all will learn it, i know firsthand there are some who have never ever learned it. And have been here a long long time.
As do I and even many of those who do know our language won't speak it most of the time.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 PM

738 posts, read 931,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
To be perfectly honest I don't see what the hoopla is all about in regards to people speaking spanish or any other language in public. It is the USA freedom of speech and all that.
When calling a Gov office like USCIS it is a bit annoying, but only because i tend to be hyper and just want to get the call over with.
Because it is rude. People think you are talking about them.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
As do I and even many of those who do know our language won't speak it most of the time.

Your so right. Guess what i have been told by an illegal construction guy, that some illegals know some English, but will not speak it while they are out, don't want to cause any reason to notice them. He also told me that a lot of Hispanics, who even know English, play the game these days. Pretending to not know English, just to hear what is being said, we cannot understand them, but some of them do understand us but play dumb. I was told firsthand last year.

He also told me that while the US is dumb enough to allow their Countrymen to come to our Country illegally, more would follow. He even said, our Govenment is weak, Wow just Wow. And no i did not hire him, but my contractor seemed to think i would not have a problem with an illegal doing some work on my home. Little does he know about me, cause his plan to save his butt money, backfired, cause i did not want the guy doing any work in my home, sorry that is the way i feel. Infact i came very close to turning his butt in, but my contractor sorry to say, yes was a crazed Italain, and this Italian, takes no sh--.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:26 AM

321 posts, read 305,626 times
Secure border. Enforce Law. See Results.

Put politics aside. EZ GAME

Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,777,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Make them legal. Keep them.
Boo, Hiss. Bad Idea !!!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 AM

20 posts, read 9,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
At what point in history did we have bilingual Russian, French, & Italian signs & schools?
Bilingual education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The very first instance of bilingual education in the United States occurred with Polish immigrants in the first permanent English settlement of Virginia in what is now the United States. The Poles provided the community with manufactured pitch necessary to prevent the sinking of ships, and glass works among other industries. When the House of Burgesses met in 1619, the rights extended only to Englishmen. The Poles, in turn, launched the first recorded strike in the New World.[10] In dire need of their skills and industries, the Poles received the "rights of Englishmen," and established the first bilingual schools with subjects taught in English and Polish.[10] From this first documented historic beginning, bilingual education existed in some form or another in the United States. During the 18th century, Franciscan missionaries from California to Texas used indigenous languages for translating and teaching the Catholic catechism to Native Americans. By the mid-19th century, private and public bilingual schools had include such native languages as Czech, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish.[11] Ohio became the first state in 1839, to adopt a bilingual education law, authorizing German-English instruction at parents' request. Louisiana enacted an identical provision for French and English in 1847, and the New Mexico Territory did so for Spanish and English in 1850.[12] By the end of the 19th century, about a dozen states had passed similar laws. Elsewhere, many localities provided bilingual instruction without state sanction, in languages as diverse as Norwegian, Italian, Polish, Czech, and Cherokee.[12] Beginning in 1959, public schools in Miami introduced bilingual programs.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,113,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakinupallnight View Post
Bilingual education allows minority language-speakers to resist assimilation and avoid learning the dominant language. They want to live as a part of mainstream society but are unwilling to change or give up their language or culture

Old 07-22-2011, 01:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 791,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Bilingual education allows minority language-speakers to resist assimilation and avoid learning the dominant language. They want to live as a part of mainstream society but are unwilling to change or give up their language or culture
This is funny, but all evidence points to the opposite. Immigrants today are assimilating faster than they ever have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration