U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should the US deport illegal immigrants and better prevent their arrival?
Yes. 109 83.21%
No. 22 16.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,164,328 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
How much "heartache" was to actually become U.S. citizens? You're confusing some work ethic and travel difficulties into a Starship Troopers theme that somehow earned them citizenship here. Later ancestors of your would have "earned" that same citizenship just by being born here.

The person making that comparison served most of the last 25 years for this country, more in line with that concept of truly "earned" citizenship. I legally immigrated my wife and stepchildren through a long and costly process, how dare you compare the actual means that some of your ancestors went through to come here to that (with my family not even U.S. citizens yet). On this forum it isn't even restrained to focus on illegal immigration, but to talk smack about Mexico and Mexicans, whether they are immigrating or not.

Word away, your ancestors can answer me through you to how they actually gained citizenship, not anything else you want to attach to it...

Hint, it's going to be very similar to my Great Great Grandfather, illustrious as he was, but just coming down to filling out a single page of paper...
It is complete and utter nonsense that the forum members just talk smack about Mexicans. You forgot to put the word "illegal" in front of the word Mexican. That is what this forum is about not Mexicans per se. The fact that most here illegally are Mexicans is just a fact and that is why the focus is on them.

Why do you continue down this path of comparing how things were done long ago and the the different requirements that there are today? Laws and rules change with the times so what is your point? Immigration and citizenship requirements didn't change just to pick on your precious Mexicans. Why don't you try to get off that victim mentality bandwagon for Mexicans when you aren't even one yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,164,328 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Because gaining citizenship is being misrepresented as more than it was. People act like hardships of the old country, travel here, and a work ethic is linked into the very limited requirements to become a citizen back then. And when another group has those same attributes in the modern-day world, Lord knows we can't let them get the same thing.

This irony was fully realized with a post here that claimed foreigners didn't have any "God-given" right to come here, unless it turned out, they came in the past...
What modern day legal immigration group are you referring to? Last I heard the requirements for immigration and citizenship are the same today for ANY group.

And where is the falsehood in stating that there is no God-given right to come here? God doesn't make immigration laws, governments do. And past immigrants didn't have the God-given right to come here without permission either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,018,719 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
...And past immigrants didn't have the God-given right to come here without permission either.
So whom gave them permission?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,164,328 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The principles of the past don't matter anymore? This forum is the first place I have heard now by two separate posters about anyone returning back to where they came from (a voyage of that extent was whimsical, and they forgot the reason they left in the first place?). Granted my study of ancestry would undercount that aspect (if I am here, it tends to mean everyone of my ancestors stayed up at least to some point), but the only people I have been aware of going back is for wars as servicemembers.

Unless you count a Great Great Grandfather returning to bring a wife back to the United States, or a more distant Grand Uncle to tell other relations he lived like a king here, and would not return to their hovels...

So having more immigrants come back with them, not the other way around...
You really need to read some history about past immigration. You are obviously uninformed. I am not going to google for you but malamute is absolutely correct that many past immigrants went back home because they couldn't cut it here. Again, tell me why we are discussing legal immigration of the past in relation to this being the illegal immigration forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,164,328 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
So whom gave them permission?...
Our government, for God's sake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,018,719 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is complete and utter nonsense that the forum members just talk smack about Mexicans. You forgot to put the word "illegal" in front of the word Mexican. That is what this forum is about not Mexicans per se. The fact that most here illegally are Mexicans is just a fact and that is why the focus is on them...
Why is the focus on Mexicans rather than illegal aliens? I don't forget to put the term "illegal" (where appropriate) in my posts, but I see where others fail to do that (where appropriate). Funny that you would attribute that to me however.

It is worth noting the last numbers I saw on immigration status for Mexicans were evenly split (52% illegally, 48% legally)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,018,719 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Our government, for God's sake!
Remember, you phrased the question as permission to come here...

Our government gave immigrants in the past permission to come here?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,164,328 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Remember, you phrased the question as permission to come here...

Our government gave immigrants in the past permission to come here?...
Yes, as long as they went through the proper channels for legal immigration at the time. Geez, are you kidding me?

When are you going to stop this incessant dwelling on the past about legal immigration and get back on topic about illegal immigration today? Never? I thought so! What is this obsession you have for defending illegal Mexicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,164,328 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Why is the focus on Mexicans rather than illegal aliens? I don't forget to put the term "illegal" (where appropriate) in my posts, but I see where others fail to do that (where appropriate). Funny that you would attribute that to me however.

It is worth noting the last numbers I saw on immigration status for Mexicans were evenly split (52% illegally, 48% legally)...
There IS no focus on Mexicans in general, only the illegal ones. Is it worth noting that the group here illegally in the largest numbers by far are Mexicans? This isn't about the 48% that are here legally (other than the ones who won't assimilate and are advocates for their illegal amigos) as this is the illegal immigration forum. When are you going to understand that you're in the wrong forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
 
1 posts, read 602 times
Reputation: 11
I can't agree with you more. It is true that we are multicultural and used to be a great nation. One big difference is that those immigrants (European or not) took TURNS in entering this great land and filed all the appropriate paperwork. The old immigrants also did not have any problem in learning the language and educate themselves to make this a better place. Look at the difference between now and pre 1970's and that should settle the discussion.

I for one, entered the country LEGALLY in the early 80's, speak the language and have paid taxed on every penny I've earned. I very much dislike nonEnglish store signs, billboards and Government funded translated brochures.

The fish, big or small, needs to be fried (quoting the word as it was used, if I am not wrong). Illegal is illegal no matter what. You enter my land without permission, you are here illegally and need to be expelled. What good is a border then? USA has turned into a zoo (sad to say) and is out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top