U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I would also assume if they move to another state they could change that license to the new state.
Not if the requirements of that state include having a Social Security number...

In short, too many assumptions and mistaken statements...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Let's not get off-topic please...
The topic is about illegal aliens getting driver's licenses in New Mexico yet you continue to derail talking about your legal immigrant wife. I think it is you who is constantly off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The topic is about illegal aliens getting driver's licenses in New Mexico yet you continue to derail talking about your legal immigrant wife. I think it is you who is constantly off topic.
She was on her K-3 visa at the time, so not an "immigrant" yet. In reality, the topic is about New Mexico driver's licenses being issued to those without Social Security numbers. The news article is even wrong: It's an audit of 10,000 license holders, to determine whether they are still residents of the state or not.

It's not about immigration status, which the state doesn't know anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
It's an extremely wise move by Gov. Martinez.

Look who is coming over the border:

DEA arrests La Familia cartel members in El Paso, Alpine - El Paso Times

Suspected associates of La Familia Michoacana were arrested in West Texas as part of a nationwide crackdown on one of Mexico¹s most notorious drug cartels.



Absolutely anybody, any violent drug trafficker, any killer can easily waltz on over the border and very easily get a New Mexico drivers license that gives him easy access to any portion of the USA.

Now with cartel members from both sides of the cartel war known to be in the USA, it's more important than ever to start getting a handle on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
New Mexico (even with Governor Suzanna Martinez in office) issues driver's licenses to qualified applicants irrespective of whether the person has a Social Security number or not...
Not very "qualified". Anyone here in this country illegally can use a fake address, simply have someone put a utility bill in his or her name, or find someone with the same last name and just use their bill.

It's so not qualified that the clerks in those offices will advise the illegal in Spanish on how it can be done.

I would guess but don't know if it's also suggested to them that all they need to do is find someone who will write a letter and have it notarized that they rent to them or other such non-proof. That's how the school clerks will advice non-residents when they come to register their kids in the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...Now with cartel members from both sides of the cartel war known to be in the USA, it's more important than ever to start getting a handle on this.
Because, of course, they could then legally drive and get auto insurance...

Do you not think cartel members may have immigration or citizenship status, and able to get a driver's license anyway?...

If they can have fraudulent papers to show New Mexico residency, they can get them anywhere else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Because, of course, they could then legally drive and get auto insurance...

Do you not think cartel members may have immigration or citizenship status, and able to get a driver's license anyway?...

If they can have fraudulent papers to show New Mexico residency, they can get them anywhere else...
Nothing at all stops them from getting auto insurance now. Nothing. Just like they can get a car financed with a fake name or in someone else's name, they can also get the car insured.

And yes, I actually know an illegal who drives around without a license but with liability insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,011,547 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not very "qualified". Anyone here in this country illegally can use a fake address, simply have someone put a utility bill in his or her name, or find someone with the same last name and just use their bill.

It's so not qualified that the clerks in those offices will advise the illegal in Spanish on how it can be done.

I would guess but don't know if it's also suggested to them that all they need to do is find someone who will write a letter and have it notarized that they rent to them or other such non-proof. That's how the school clerks will advice non-residents when they come to register their kids in the schools.
Best advise Governor Suzanna that her clerks are in on the take...

Those ten temporary workers hired for the job could be "adjusting" the audit too, let's watch for the results...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Best advise Governor Suzanna that her clerks are in on the take...

Those ten temporary workers hired for the job could be "adjusting" the audit too, let's watch for the results...
Good idea!!

When I first knew of this, and I know the offices where this is being done, it was the pro-illegal governor so it would have done no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2011, 09:27 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
She was on her K-3 visa at the time, so not an "immigrant" yet. In reality, the topic is about New Mexico driver's licenses being issued to those without Social Security numbers. The news article is even wrong: It's an audit of 10,000 license holders, to determine whether they are still residents of the state or not.

It's not about immigration status, which the state doesn't know anyway...
I don't care what legal jargon you want to use to specify the different status' of foreingers in this country. When I say "immigrant" I am refering to someone who is in this country legally. So save all you different visa/immigrant lingo for someone else. If the article is wrong then why don't you prove it?

10,000 illegals to be chosen at random for checks
More than 85,000 people without Social Security numbers have received New Mexico driver's licenses since 2003, when the legislature passed a law allowing illegal immigrants to apply for a driver's license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top