Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Thats not true.

If you are coming here for permanent residency or work you can get a SS# if your visa is still valid.
Hmmm I faced the same issue with my wife in PA. When she entered she has a temperary perm Resident status and we couldnt apply for her SSN. We had to wait about 6 months to get it modified and then she could apply for her ssn. In Pa she needs a ssn in order to get a drivers license.
On side note: When we went to test hispanics were allowed to assist their family members on the test.( help with translation was the excuse) My wife who is Thai was not granted the same consideration.

Last edited by tinman01; 07-21-2011 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: addititional info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Since New Mexico allows illegal aliens to get a DL then wouldn't it make sense to assume that they would also grant a DL to a legal immigrant without a SS#?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Since New Mexico allows illegal aliens to get a DL then wouldn't it make sense to assume that they would also grant a DL to a legal immigrant without a SS#?
One would think so. But we see many advantages given to illegals not given to legals. Cost breaks for college etc.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,845,833 times
Quote:
Thats not true.

If you are coming here for permanent residency or work you can get a SS# if your visa is still valid.
You misunderstand the K-3 visa that is for the spouse of a U.S. citizen, allowing entry as a "non-immigrant" while the Legal Permanent Resident petition is being processed. Unless the further I-765 petition is approved for work-authorization (which we attempted, but it was rejected after a wait of three months) a Social Security number can't be issued. We've now gone from calling me belligerent to labeling me as a liar.

I'm being straightforward, and asking why there is a problem with the spouse of a U.S. citizen servicemember being allowed to have a driver's license based solely on the fact that they don't have a Social Security number...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
...I find it hard to believe that in New Mexico or any other state that a legal immigrant even without a SS number wouldn't be granted a driver's license just as long as they provided the necessary papers proving that they are in this country legally.
A Legal Permanent Resident (aka "legal immigrant") can be issued a Social Security number, because they are all work-authorized. However, all 'K' visas are defined as "non-immigrant", without work authorization unless an additional I-765 petition is filed and approved. Social Security offices can issue a number from a document containing "I-551 Language" (the I-551 is a Resident Card, meaning the Immigrant Visa imprint in the passport should be enough), but often refuse until they are presented with the actual Resident Card.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
One would think so. But we see many advantages given to illegals not given to legals. Cost breaks for college etc.
Let's not get off-topic please...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
New Mexico (even with Governor Suzanna Martinez in office) issues driver's licenses to qualified applicants irrespective of whether the person has a Social Security number or not...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
IBM, I think in Maryland they have a provision that allows people who are ineligible for a Social Security number to get driver's licenses. You need proof of that ineligibility from the SSA though. You sure NM doesn't have that?
Currently New Mexico issues driver's licenses without needing a Social Security number...

The topic is arguing that New Mexico needs to change that to a requirement of a Social Security or another method to prove residency in the state...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Thats not true.

If you have Permanent Residency status (which does not expire), any other non-immigrant entry visas (like a K-3) are thus invalidated...

Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
I would also assume if they move to another state they could change that license to the new state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration