U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM

9,243 posts, read 7,104,934 times

Advertisements

They should not have any American ID's to begin with

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 09:41 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,015,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
They should not have any American ID's to begin with

"They": Meaning people without Social Security numbers? My wife was one of those getting a New Mexico driver's license in 2007, under her K-3 visa (for the spouse of a U.S. citizen) which is "non-immigrant", and doesn't provide a Social Security number (because the person would not be work-authorized as a "non-immigrant). Are you suggesting that I would have been the lone driver for my family until they gained Legal Permanent Residency status?

That took eight more months, all while I was getting ready for a fifth military deployment...

For lack of a Social Security number, how was my family to get around at the time?...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 AM

10,946 posts, read 7,983,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
"They": Meaning people without Social Security numbers? My wife was one of those getting a New Mexico driver's license in 2007, under her K-3 visa (for the spouse of a U.S. citizen) which is "non-immigrant", and doesn't provide a Social Security number (because the person would not be work-authorized as a "non-immigrant). Are you suggesting that I would have been the lone driver for my family until they gained Legal Permanent Residency status?

That took eight more months, all while I was getting ready for a fifth military deployment...

For lack of a Social Security number, how was my family to get around at the time?...
Like anyone else without a drivers license. Walk or take the bus. Of course they could have driven your vehicle without a license, but that would be illegal, wouldn't it?

BTW, why do you always bring up legal immigrant issues in the illegal immigrant forum? Feeling guilty? Or just above the ToS?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,249,271 times
IBM, I think in Maryland they have a provision that allows people who are ineligible for a Social Security number to get driver's licenses. You need proof of that ineligibility from the SSA though. You sure NM doesn't have that?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

Thats not true.

If you are coming here for permanent residency or work you can get a SS# if your visa is still valid.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM

I'm pretty sure certain visas don't qualify for SS#s while others do. I know my mom's visa grants her an SS#, and the visa I had did as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Like anyone else without a drivers license. Walk or take the bus. Of course they could have driven your vehicle without a license, but that would be illegal, wouldn't it?

BTW, why do you always bring up legal immigrant issues in the illegal immigrant forum? Feeling guilty? Or just above the ToS?
That's what I don't get. He says his wife was never in this country illegally so just what is the problem and why does legal immigration keep getting brought up?

I find it hard to believe that in New Mexico or any other state that a legal immigrant even without a SS number wouldn't be granted a driver's license just as long as they provided the necessary papers proving that they are in this country legally.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 AM

5,302 posts, read 4,015,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Are you accusing me of a behavior against the ToS?...

I didn't originate the topic here that assumes those without Social Security numbers are "illegal aliens" (and provided four examples where they are not)...

Your solution of my wife not being able to drive for eight months would have been unworkable, all for a lack of a Social Security number. I was usually away from home, and traveling with my unit part of the time. An offered unlawful solution is irresponsible as well.

The stance of holding a driver's license from the spouse of a deploying U.S. citizen servicemember just because she wasn't work-authorized (a K-3 having an approved I-765 petition would have a Social Security for being work-authorized, and able to get a driver's license) seems to be antagonistic...

Unless you actually want it to be seen that way...

Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm pretty sure certain visas don't qualify for SS#s while others do. I know my mom's visa grants her an SS#, and the visa I had did as well.
For work visa's your SS# would say valid for work only.

You can only get a SS# if your Visa is valid on certain visa's our country issues.

So the argument some are making here that illegals can get a SS# legally is false.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Yeah they can't. They can get ITINs but that's a whole other story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration