U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:52 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
In this case they came to the Port of Entry at LAX, and had nothing to do with illegal immigration...
Torn up fake passports isn't about illegal immigration? No one pretends that many illegals aren't coming in with falsified documents and stolen laser visas they purchased from some cartel crime ring. Most illegals do not hike for miles across scorching deserts, they come in through legal ports of entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 AM

1,150 posts, read 992,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
In this case they came to the Port of Entry at LAX, and had nothing to do with illegal immigration...
They were trying to enter the country illegally, were they not? If they weren't illegal aliens, they would have applied for a visa in Sri Lanka, travelled on a Sri Lankan passport, and flown directly to the US.

Just because a person enters through a port of entry doesn't mean they're here legally. Many are smuggled in through ports of entry, or enter with a tourist, or shopping visa, and fail to leave, which makes them illegal aliens.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,196,452 times
Many illegal immigrants in the U.S.A. are here because they applied for work visas and let them expire and simply stayed here. It's not just Mexicans, central americans, or even Sri Lankans. The second largest nationality of illegal immigrants in this country is Irish. My family immigrated from Ireland in the 1800's but they did it legally. Illegal is illegal. Kill the "DREAM" act. It is a nightmare.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 AM

387 posts, read 512,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I hope they deport them back to their country of citizenship.
There are different rules when it comes to OTM Other than Mexico
Most Sri Lankans ask for asylum which is upto ICE to deny or accept
If denied it will go to Immigration Judge who will decide on their case
In the meantime after ICE confirms their identity and they are cleared by FBI and CIA checks they will be released on a bond by ICE

Old 10-26-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Torn up fake passports isn't about illegal immigration? No one pretends that many illegals aren't coming in with falsified documents and stolen laser visas they purchased from some cartel crime ring. Most illegals do not hike for miles across scorching deserts, they come in through legal ports of entry.
People who tear their passport normally ask for asylum Sri lanka has a civil war going for several years and lot of them win their cases in Immigration
Courts You can't ask for asylum outside the US You have to come to US legally or illegally and ask for asylum at Port Of Entry US normally detains people asking for asylum till their identity can be confirmed and FBI/CIA clears them that they not threat to National Security

Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Many illegal immigrants in the U.S.A. are here because they applied for work visas and let them expire and simply stayed here. It's not just Mexicans, central americans, or even Sri Lankans. The second largest nationality of illegal immigrants in this country is Irish. My family immigrated from Ireland in the 1800's but they did it legally. Illegal is illegal. Kill the "DREAM" act. It is a nightmare.
Visa overstayers are only 40% of illegals in our country. Do you have a link to support your assertion that the Irish are the second largest nationality of illegals in our country? I'd like to see it.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Visa overstayers are only 40% of illegals in our country. Do you have a link to support your assertion that the Irish are the second largest nationality of illegals in our country? I'd like to see it.
As per DHS data top 5 countries are Mexico ElSalvador Guatemala Honduras Philiphines
I rarely have come across Irish undocumented aliens except in bars in NYC
Ireland don't even come across in the list of top 10
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2010.pdf

Old 10-26-2011, 12:45 PM

126 posts, read 98,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
As per DHS data top 5 countries are Mexico ElSalvador Guatemala Honduras Philiphines
I rarely have come across Irish undocumented aliens except in bars in NYC
Ireland don't even come across in the list of top 10
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2010.pdf
How about among visa overstayers? I can't see the Irish otherwise significant in this area. But I would think the hispanic countries have a lot more problems getting into the country than the irish.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,663,703 times
Most Americans are not opposed to deporting Irish illegals. Ireland has a labor shortage, and needs its citizens to stay home.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkit711 View Post
How about among visa overstayers? I can't see the Irish otherwise significant in this area. But I would think the hispanic countries have a lot more problems getting into the country than the irish.
dont think they on top of the list Irish citizens normally come under visa waiver and if you look white it's very rare Immigration will ever stop you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or