U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
As long as all we do is "recycle" them if makes no difference how many we catch as I don't see it ever being anywhere close to a 100% catch ratio.
And we could not afford to hold them in jail. As is the feds run behind on reimbursements to the counties for the ones that are held in county facilities for brief periods of time when agencies other than ICE or BP make the arrests/detentions.
At one point the feds were almost a year behind in paying back Cochise County and it was a lot of money owed too.
The goal should be to deter illegal immigration as much as we can. No one expects that illegal immigration will be stopoed entirely. The double layered wall in appropriate places, removing incentives to come here and internal enforcement will reduce illegal immigration to manageable numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
the problem is that if they build a 20 ft fence, Mexico will open a factory building 25ft ladders.
But most won't even attempt that with the double layered wall and it will slow them down enough for the BP to catch them and that is the objective. Some will move to the more difficult places to enter but not near as many will attempt that than the ones that are getting through where there is only a flimsy fence in place today.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM

2,564 posts, read 4,529,892 times
Interesting enough, I see today on the evening news out of Phoenix that they raided the home/shop and arrested a couple in Flagstaff that ran a bridal shop there.
Turns out they were bringing in illegals from Viet Nam to work in a sweat shop operation there.
I guess it will never stop.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 AM

88 posts, read 153,736 times
Quote:
I don't like the numbers of people that come here illegally, and it's not just from Mexico either. Many other countries are involved.
And I would be happy to see a fence, if it would work.
But I lived about 40 miles from Douglas, AZ for many years (I was only 89 miles from the border with my property) and in Douglas they have had a tall fence for years.
It makes little difference as it just slows them down a little. They climb the fence and come over anyway, or go through the storm drains under the fence.
Where that fence is and has been for many years they still have Border Patrol agents that drive that fence line 24/7. The people coming over will cause a distraction to attract the agents and then come over at another point. Just the facts.
Look~this has been happening for many many years, it's not new by all means. And I don't see it changing either.
We cannot afford to put enough agents on the border to keep them out. And don't forget about the border with Canada either. I have lived in WA too and there are problems all along that border too.
Frustrating yes, but a fence is not the solution. If you think it is go spend a couple of days in an area where they already have one like Douglas. Just another waste of money.
I'm sorry but Canadians don't illegal move to the USA in masses. Canadians already live in a developed country that has free healthcare. Why would we jepordize that to live in the US? The only problem the Canadian/US border has is Marijuana

Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM

2,564 posts, read 4,529,892 times
Who said anything about Canadians?
How about other countries that come to yours to visit and then just disappear like the Chinese?
I live in Western WA very near the border and it was a problem there in the 90s.
Just like Mexico, as I previously stated, many countries are involved in coming over the borders to the US.
Let me ask you this. How many illegals do you have in your country?
PS. you can keep those that fled the US during Viet Nam to evade the draft.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
I'm sorry but Canadians don't illegal move to the USA in masses. Canadians already live in a developed country that has free healthcare. Why would we jepordize that to live in the US? The only problem the Canadian/US border has is Marijuana
There is a mutual respect between our countries and we dont abuse each others hospitality. The same can not be said for those on the otherside of our southern border.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about Canadians?
How about other countries that come to yours to visit and then just disappear like the Chinese?
I live in Western WA very near the border and it was a problem there in the 90s.
Just like Mexico, as I previously stated, many countries are involved in coming over the borders to the US.
Let me ask you this. How many illegals do you have in your country?
PS. you can keep those that fled the US during Viet Nam to evade the draft.
You live in Western WA but your location says Phoenix, AZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or