Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times

Advertisements

https://www.buildtheborderfence.com/...er/index.xhtml

Arizona launches website to fund border fence - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,815 times
Before I wasted my money on this I would want to know how the state intends to build a fence on land they don't control.
The feds own much of it and I cannot believe that they will allow AZ to build on their property.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
and when they cant build it, which politicians hands does the money end up in ...... GREAT idea in theory....SCARY in practice.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM

I agree. I have been alive long enough to see the voter's wishes for dollars allocated to certain things be stolen and used elsewhere.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 AM

321 posts, read 362,913 times
It is sad our federal government will not enforce our laws on the books and allocate funds to secure the border. But they can give our tax money to foreign countries who dont like us very much.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:35 AM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
I'd like a few more details as well, before I donate. " Which I gladly will"

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 AM

I don't like the numbers of people that come here illegally, and it's not just from Mexico either. Many other countries are involved.
And I would be happy to see a fence, if it would work.
But I lived about 40 miles from Douglas, AZ for many years (I was only 89 miles from the border with my property) and in Douglas they have had a tall fence for years.
It makes little difference as it just slows them down a little. They climb the fence and come over anyway, or go through the storm drains under the fence.
Where that fence is and has been for many years they still have Border Patrol agents that drive that fence line 24/7. The people coming over will cause a distraction to attract the agents and then come over at another point. Just the facts.
Look~this has been happening for many many years, it's not new by all means. And I don't see it changing either.
We cannot afford to put enough agents on the border to keep them out. And don't forget about the border with Canada either. I have lived in WA too and there are problems all along that border too.
Frustrating yes, but a fence is not the solution. If you think it is go spend a couple of days in an area where they already have one like Douglas. Just another waste of money.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I don't like the numbers of people that come here illegally, and it's not just from Mexico either. Many other countries are involved.
And I would be happy to see a fence, if it would work.
But I lived about 40 miles from Douglas, AZ for many years (I was only 89 miles from the border with my property) and in Douglas they have had a tall fence for years.
It makes little difference as it just slows them down a little. They climb the fence and come over anyway, or go through the storm drains under the fence.
Where that fence is and has been for many years they still have Border Patrol agents that drive that fence line 24/7. The people coming over will cause a distraction to attract the agents and then come over at another point. Just the facts.
Look~this has been happening for many many years, it's not new by all means. And I don't see it changing either.
We cannot afford to put enough agents on the border to keep them out. And don't forget about the border with Canada either. I have lived in WA too and there are problems all along that border too.
Frustrating yes, but a fence is not the solution. If you think it is go spend a couple of days in an area where they already have one like Douglas. Just another waste of money.
I am sure that the fence in Douglas is nothing like the one that was built on about 20 miles of the San Diego sector. It is a double layered one with a road in between for the BP to patrol. It cut back illegal immigration in that sector by a huge percentage. This is the kind of wall we need along the most porous parts of our southern border. It is a huge deterrant and it allows the BP to do its job much more effectively.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am sure that the fence in Douglas is nothing like the one that was built on about 20 miles of the San Diego sector. It is a double layered one with a road in between for the BP to patrol. It cut back illegal immigration in that sector by a huge percentage. This is the kind of wall we need along the most porous parts of our southern border. It is a huge deterrant and it allows the BP to do its job much more effectively.
Yep, that section of fence put the clamp on illegal immigration big time. That coupled with thousands of agents working the desert area has been a huge deterrent out East. I do feel sorry for AZ and Texas since they've moved the crossings.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 AM

I don't think it had any impact. For many many years AZ as remained one of the highest crossing points.
The fact is that much of the property is federal either in monuments or military bases and then there are Indian reservations bordering it too.
I lived just a few miles from the border in Cochise County in SE AZ for many years and know well how many came over every year.
They only catch around 1 in 4 or 1 in 6.
So the chances are high that they will get through if not the first time then the second or third.
And I used to monitor the frequencies used by the various agencies on the radios and used to hear the BP in particular tell their agents to stop detaining them as they had run out of transportation to take any more to the processing centers.
I don't even want to think about how much money we spend every day on the borders trying to stop this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration